joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread III

snowgeek

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm heading to Redfield tomorrow to ride snowmobile for the day, can't wait to get up there i love the area.

Stay up on the hill. I rode from Old Forge to Parish last weekend. Took the southern route out of Redfield through Osceola, by Camden to Boonville. Trails were great all weekend but snow was thin in places. I doubt they will survive any kind of a warm up. The hill should though.

I think Ottawa will take a run at 50F/10C this week unfortunately. Awful conditions for the Rideau Canal skateway, although tthey might be able to salvage it for the weekend.

I wonder if anybody can figure out how Ottawa is supposed to get to +11 on Friday yet Massena will peak at 43 (6 c).....does anybody think that EC have over estimated the torch of warmth that is heading that way....or am I misreading something somewhere. EC has Cornwall peaking at +10 c.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&AheadHour=0&FcstType=graphical&textField1=44.88318&textField2=-74.82960&site=btv&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0&AheadDay.x=79&AheadDay.y=8&AheadDay=48

I wonder if anybody can figure out how Ottawa is supposed to get to +11 on Friday yet Massena will peak at 43 (6 c).....does anybody think that EC have over estimated the torch of warmth that is heading that way....or am I misreading something somewhere. EC has Cornwall peaking at +10 c.

http://forecast.weat...y=8&AheadDay=48

yeah its typical for the numbers used by NWS to be adjusted up and also for the Env Caanda to be a touch high since the GGEM runs a warm bias.

a happy medium is proably how it will play out.

the GFS only brings ottawa to +3C as its highest temp.....but thats unrealistic.

BUT at the same time, given these thaws always tend to overperform, i would defintely err on the side of warmer, not colder.

All that above normal stuff over eastern Canada in March and April could indicate blocking..... It's near normal in most of Upstate NY.

I'm all for cool wx during the summer ...can't stand heat.

I'll echo your sentiments.. I also can't stand the heat and high humidity.. An ideal summer day for me is a temperature around 75 degrees.. Now that's perfect golfing weather! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Scratch

The humidity is the killer. I was in mid 80s and low humidity in Germany last summer and they all thought it was so hot (doesn't help that many hotels don't have a/c), but it was nothing to me being used to 85/72 garbage summers here.

This morning started out cold ...1 degree F. Now up to 19 and headed a little above freezing later today I guess. Tomorrow begins the melting again around here. Yesterday's high of 16 was lovely.

i wouldn't mind if its 80+ with severe wx =)

The humidity is the killer. I was in mid 80s and low humidity in Germany last summer and they all thought it was so hot (doesn't help that many hotels don't have a/c), but it was nothing to me being used to 85/72 garbage summers here.

This morning started out cold ...1 degree F. Now up to 19 and headed a little above freezing later today I guess. Tomorrow begins the melting again around here. Yesterday's high of 16 was lovely.

snowpack is holding steady here but for how long though lol :whistle: ill get away with the lake cooling today but tommorow the winds are from ssw so 40+ temps is a possibility..

we are sill well below freezing here but the warm air is on the advance, above 32 as close as kingston ontario.

one thing that is very encouraging is that windsor ontario still has a dewpoint below 32, and of course thats where our air is coming from.

Rideau Canal skateway to be closed temporarily as of tomorrow morning. However, it looks like they should be able to get it up and running again by Saturday afternoon.

Looks to be quite the cold shot on Monday morning as per the 0z GFS.

I will say that I hope the warm up does melt some of the ice on the sidewalks. The city has done a terrible job maintaining the community sidewalks this year, with black ice and bumpy ice being all over the place. Wouldn't want to be a senior trying to get around. :arrowhead:

Rideau Canal skateway to be closed temporarily as of tomorrow morning. However, it looks like they should be able to get it up and running again by Saturday afternoon.

Looks to be quite the cold shot on Monday morning as per the 0z GFS.

I will say that I hope the warm up does melt some of the ice on the sidewalks. The city has done a terrible job maintaining the community sidewalks this year, with black ice and bumpy ice being all over the place. Wouldn't want to be a senior trying to get around. :arrowhead:

If the weather plays out as per the forecasts with rain and up to +10 c at times, it may take quite a bit to get the canal back and running....if this thaw were to occur after Winterlude, I don't believe that they would bother with trying to get it open again.

I'm @ -4.2 c here in the west end @ 07h40.....I'm hoping that the warmth and rain stay to the south, but I don't really hold out much hope.

If the weather plays out as per the forecasts with rain and up to +10 c at times, it may take quite a bit to get the canal back and running....if this thaw were to occur after Winterlude, I don't believe that they would bother with trying to get it open again.

I'm @ -4.2 c here in the west end @ 07h40.....I'm hoping that the warmth and rain stay to the south, but I don't really hold out much hope.

Huge drop in snowpack here in Ottawa, from 44cm to 18cm, according to EC. I hadn't thought we'd lost that much.

Up to -1.6C at my place.

The low was 25F here, but 32 now and headed up. It looks like the front gets through around dinnertime tomorrow night..... The snow on tne ground is hard and frozen after Monday so it won't be so fast to melt away.

After a low of 22.3F we are already up to 39.1F. I hope everyone enjoys the warm weather. Hopefully next week we can return to the great winter we've had so far. Now that the snow has cleared from roofs we could use another 3ft.

Archived