Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread III

snowgeek

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lmao:

how could they have lost that much when ottawa hasnt even gone above freezing yet???

That is rubbish from EC. In the residential areas there is still a a good 1-2 feet of (rock solid) snow on the ground (well, in the north anyways).

I realise that these measurements from EC are usually a for single location...but even then, to go from 44 to 18?!?! That is totally ridiculous.

Given such discrepancies, it makes me wonder how accurate averages are for many locations!

That is rubbish from EC. In the residential areas there is still a a good 1-2 feet of (rock solid) snow on the ground (well, in the north anyways).

I realise that these measurements from EC are usually a for single location...but even then, to go from 44 to 18?!?! That is totally ridiculous.

Given such discrepancies, it makes me wonder how accurate averages are for many locations!

they are usually very good so that is wierd....perhaps an error, would not surprise to see a readjustment in the coming days.

well we have finally gone above freezing here but the dewpoints remain below freezing back through somewhere between peterborough and toronto.

i see ottawa is yet to crack freezing....where was the valley effect over the weekend??:arrowhead:

at my place we are now at +3.2 c with 71% RH (courtesy of Oregon Scientific) with the faintest trace of a few raindrops. Yeah...I wish the valley effect had been in place on Sunday. CYOW is reporting +2.2 c with 77% RH @ 14h00.

Do you really think it will get up to +10 c tomorrow?

at my place we are now at +3.2 c with 71% RH (courtesy of Oregon Scientific) with the faintest trace of a few raindrops. Yeah...I wish the valley effect had been in place on Sunday. CYOW is reporting +2.2 c with 77% RH @ 14h00.

Do you really think it will get up to +10 c tomorrow?

it defintely can, once the higher dewpoints start getting in here later today, thats when the damage should really pick up.

but the good news is that by around 1pm tomorrow we should start seeing temps falling back in ottawa

essentially the torch is limited to 24-30 hours which is more of a thaw, and not nearly as bad as it could have been.

it defintely can, once the higher dewpoints start getting in here later today, thats when the damage should really pick up.

but the good news is that by around 1pm tomorrow we should start seeing temps falling back in ottawa

essentially the torch is limited to 24-30 hours which is more of a thaw, and not nearly as bad as it could have been.

yee of little faith...we are down to +2.4 c (81% RH)...let the freeze begin

I don't believe BGM has had a snowfall of 6+ inches all winter, not here in the Susq. Valley, anyway. But the sustained cold and frequent small accums. has kept the snowcover fresh and clean for weeks. Seeing it melt, especially piles along the road and in parking lots, etc., is a depressing reminder of how toxic our environment is. On purely aesthetic grounds, these are really the ugliest days of the year.

I'm not quite ready for a loooongggg muddy spring yet. Hoping for a couple more weeks of winter weather....and like many of us, waiting for our turn at a big synoptic snow. We are overdue.

I don't believe BGM has had a snowfall of 6+ inches all winter, not here in the Susq. Valley, anyway. But the sustained cold and frequent small accums. has kept the snowcover fresh and clean for weeks. Seeing it melt, especially piles along the road and in parking lots, etc., is a depressing reminder of how toxic our environment is. On purely aesthetic grounds, these are really the ugliest days of the year.

I'm not quite ready for a loooongggg muddy spring yet. Hoping for a couple more weeks of winter weather....and like many of us, waiting for our turn at a big synoptic snow. We are overdue.

Only 2 days of 6.0+ at KBGM thus far, as part of a 4-day LES Event of 21.7"...

12-5... 6.2

12-6... 9.1

Yeah, the Lakes (Great and Finger) were our friends--even way down here--early this winter.

Still hoping for that big synoptic event! Remember when we consistently did well with them? Not infrequently the "lolipop" zone--and mixing was just something for the Wyoming Valley to worry about

Only 2 days of 6.0+ at KBGM thus far, as part of a 4-day LES Event of 21.7"...

12-5... 6.2

12-6... 9.1

looks like there's a mastodon carcass emerging from the melting glacier in my yard! food for the sled dogs...need to investigate..

Been over 50 degrees for almost 2 straight days. Went from 24 inches of snow to like 4 inches. The liquid equivalent of the snow was over 3.50 inches of rain. Quite impressive thaw. Lake Erie is now open again for business if we can get some arctic air in here!

looks like there's a mastodon carcass emerging from the melting glacier in my yard! food for the sled dogs...need to investigate..

Yea, all my dogs "toys" from this winter are starting to appear. Bones, squirrel carcass's etc.

I still have mailny 6"-12" of cover, but the steep southern exposure parts of my lawn are bare.

Ottawa is officially torching - sunshine and 50F/10C! i hate to say it, but it feels great being able to walk outside and not have to wear boots and have the winter coat unzipped.

I feel really bad for the tourists who made the long treck to ottawa and booked hotel rooms for the last weekend of Winterlude though. Most of the main sights are shut down due to the warm weather. Granted, they should be able to salvage some of it by tomorrow evening.

the sun came out in ottawa and they immediately torched, up to +10C

the front is very close to them now, and the killer dewpoints will begin falling back rapidly.....thought the air temp should remain slow to fall back.

up to 44/41 here in MTL with fog, but the sun is threatening to come out.

lol All three of us posted at almost exactly the same time.

Archived