• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Richmond Metro Obs and Discussion Thread

RIC Airport

It's gone back and forth between light and heavy snow in the Forest Hill/Westover Hills area since approximately 5.00 PM. Hard to judge accumulation due to all the trees. Roads starting to slick up a bit. Very pretty snow, some of the biggest flakes I've seen in a while.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very tough commute home from downtown. Now, I never would dream of bashing any met and in particular our good folks from Wakefield, but I guess, once I saw the rate of snow and the fact that it was sticking on I-95 some and making it slushy, I was surprised we did not get a WWA. I do see a special weather statement was posted. Just curious if it was considered or if the event is happening, a special weather statement serves the purpose or if that has more weight.

Yeah, it's a tough call...dependent upon how literal you want to be with the criteria. It was pretty clear (to me anyway) that RIC itself wasn't going to make WWA criteria. Question at that point is do you go WWA anyway for impact or opt for a more short-term oriented product such as the SPS to drive home the point that the roads will be bad for a short period of time. Looking at obs, I'm glad that we made the decision we did. I'm just upset I missed/slept through the thunder...oh well ;)

Yeah, it's a tough call...dependent upon how literal you want to be with the criteria. It was pretty clear (to me anyway) that RIC itself wasn't going to make WWA criteria. Question at that point is do you go WWA anyway for impact or opt for a more short-term oriented product such as the SPS to drive home the point that the roads will be bad for a short period of time. Looking at obs, I'm glad that we made the decision we did. I'm just upset I missed/slept through the thunder...oh well ;)

It was thundersleet so nbd. Flurries here.

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like you all made the right call. Pretty wild, saw three flashes of lightning downtown. Darkest clouds since severe weather season. So, even though no big snow, still fun to watch all day. Hope you guys get a chance to catch your breath and hopefully we get something significant to track next week.

Archived