12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Richmond Metro Obs and Discussion Thread

RIC Airport

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you know more than I ever will, for sure. Just can't kick the feeling that Feb won't be good for us. When was the last major RIC snow in Feb? I remember a decent snow in the 1st week of Feb last year....

Here is what I have recorded for February of last year:

2/5-2/6/2010: Began early in the morning as snow, eventually changing over to sleet. Sleet eventually gave way to rain, which lasted through the very early morning hours. Snow restarted in the morning and lasted through the early evening (this portion of the storm was much colder and featured high winds). Storm total was 7.6"

2/10/2010: Surprise band of snow dumped around 3.0" in just a few hours. Whiteout and blizzard-like conditions.

Here is what I have recorded for February of last year:

2/5-2/6/2010: Began early in the morning as snow, eventually changing over to sleet. Sleet eventually gave way to rain, which lasted through the very early morning hours. Snow restarted in the morning and lasted through the early evening (this portion of the storm was much colder and featured high winds). Storm total was 7.6"

2/10/2010: Surprise band of snow dumped around 3.0" in just a few hours. Whiteout and blizzard-like conditions.

thats the one....I remember a warm layer traveled WAY WAY NW from where it was forecast. Even CHO turned to slop for awhile. The back end of that storm did very well if I recall correctly. That certainly qualifies as a decent snow, so I stand corrected.

I want a MAJOR Feb snow! :weight_lift:

Officially 0.7" at the airport from yesterday's snowfall. This brings Richmond's 2010-11 seasonal total to 10.7".

In addition, a record 1.38" of rainfall fell which broke the previous record of 1.28" set in 1966. The amount in 1966 was actually all frozen from a snowstorm that dumped 14.8" of snow at Richmond.

Officially 0.7" at the airport from yesterday's snowfall. This brings Richmond's 2010-11 seasonal total to 10.7".

In addition, a record 1.38" of rainfall fell which broke the previous record of 1.28" set in 1966. The amount in 1966 was actually all frozen from a snowstorm that dumped 14.8" of snow at Richmond.

My 0.9" call failed. :(

thats the one....I remember a warm layer traveled WAY WAY NW from where it was forecast. Even CHO turned to slop for awhile. The back end of that storm did very well if I recall correctly. That certainly qualifies as a decent snow, so I stand corrected.

I want a MAJOR Feb snow! :weight_lift:

The last major February snowfall, say 10" or more, was from the February 10-11, 1983 blizzard which dumped 17.7" at the airport. A few years earlier, we had 11" from the PD I snowstorm.

Through yesterday RIC's January monthly average temperature was 34.0°F, which is 2.3 degrees below the 30 year average. With the temperatures over the next several days primarly staying slightly below normal, the month will likely finished below average. It will be interesting to see weather or not this winter ends colder than last.

Through yesterday RIC's January monthly average temperature was 34.0°F, which is 2.3 degrees below the 30 year average. With the temperatures over the next several days primarly staying slightly below normal, the month will likely finished below average. It will be interesting to see weather or not this winter ends colder than last.

what was last years avg?

I wonder how many years at the airport the seasonal total has reached 10" but not a single one day total over 4". I would think very few.

I'm assuming you meant to say "single event", no? If you recall, the December 25-26th total for the event was 4.3".

I will have to check into that. i'm compiling a list of all events 0.1" + for Richmond, but I haven't had near as much time to finish as I'd like.

I'm assuming you meant to say "single event", no? If you recall, the December 25-26th total for the event was 4.3".

I will have to check into that. i'm compiling a list of all events 0.1" + for Richmond, but I haven't had near as much time to finish as I'd like.

That's exactly what I was asking about. That list of all RIC snowstorms would be awesome.

Archived