Newest Member
    EWR757
Richmond Metro Obs and Discussion Thread

RIC Airport

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Holy cow. Storm just popped up over me and rained like mad for an hour. Two inches in my rain gauge and the skys are darkening again.

And BTW, this thread had dropped all the way off the first page of Mid-Atlantic threads...

only 0.30" at the airport and the 90-degree streak has ended.

Holy cow. Storm just popped up over me and rained like mad for an hour. Two inches in my rain gauge and the skys are darkening again.

And BTW, this thread had dropped all the way off the first page of Mid-Atlantic threads...

Most of the board is dead in the summer. It's a shame too. I'd like to see more medium and long range discussion. Oh well, once hurricanes start developing it'll pick up again.

I had 3.5 inches at home, less than half that at work on the north end of Bon Air. My neighbor said it was the heaviest rain she had seen in a while. Lots of close lightning strikes too.

It looked like Chester got the really good storms yet again.

The bullseye in the area in the past couple of weeks has been Chester. It seems storms either train or develop over southern and southeastern Chesterfield.

This week I've gotten 1.7 inches on Monday, 3.5 on Wednesday, and 2.7 yesterday. Last week I made out with almost 4 inches. I'd like to know where the pattern goes from here. The intense heat hasn't had a good hold on the area so far, and I'd imagine the intense heat will stay west of here. If the tropics develop like many think they will, I think the summer could finish with precip above to much above normal.

The bullseye in the area in the past couple of weeks has been Chester. It seems storms either train or develop over southern and southeastern Chesterfield.

This week I've gotten 1.7 inches on Monday, 3.5 on Wednesday, and 2.7 yesterday. Last week I made out with almost 4 inches. I'd like to know where the pattern goes from here. The intense heat hasn't had a good hold on the area so far, and I'd imagine the intense heat will stay west of here. If the tropics develop like many think they will, I think the summer could finish with precip above to much above normal.

yea chester has been the jackpot for severe, and you are right the heat just has not had any long staying power

I arrived in town early Friday morning. I actually drove in the intense rainfall all the way from Richmond to Newport News late Friday evening to pick up an old college friend from PHF Airport who flew in from Boston. It was gridlock on I-64 most of the way. But, it turned out to be a nice weekend despite being quite humid. When you're not used to the humidity anymore, it's really noticeable upon return. But again, it wasn't too hot as we went around and reflected on our college days in Hampton Roads hitting up Busch Gardens, Va Beach Oceanfront, and the ODU campus.

Well, AKQ lowered highs by 2 to 3 degrees for much of RIC metro today, probably because of the cloudiness this morning. Still hot. I read where this date is the only day in July where the record high is under 100. We could still break a record, but like Anthony said, it'd be interesting to see if RIC can do it or not, since if it doesn't happen this month it may not happen this summer.

Yeah, 100 is really looking unlikely at this point and we may not even break the record. As midlo mentioned, what's now more interesting is whether we can cool below 80 before midnight. If not, then not only do we break the record highest daily minimum for the date, but we will also break that record for any given year and will mark the first ever 80 degree low temperature.

Yeah, 100 is really looking unlikely at this point and we may not even break the record. As midlo mentioned, what's now more interesting is whether we can cool below 80 before midnight. If not, then not only do we break the record highest daily minimum for the date, but we will also break that record for any given year and will mark the first ever 80 degree low temperature.

97 and 81 for the day no storms on riadar should be good through midnight

97 and 81 for the day no storms on riadar should be good through midnight

HaHa, this was a topic of conversation at the office today. I'm still not sure we're going to be "popping the cork" on this one, even w/o storms. All it took last year was a slight north wind, a slight drop in the dewpoint under mainly clear skies and presto...RIC dropped to 79.4F just before 1 am EDT (...or midnight EST, which is what governs the climate "day"). When I left the office, the latest GFS LAMP guidance had RIC at 80F at 05Z, or midnight EST. It's gonna be close!!

If it happens, as you know, it'll represent the first time RIC never got below 80F during a calendar day. It's bound to happen at some point, it's just a matter of time.

By the way, I'm going to spend a little bit of time this evening looking at the 1981-2010 normals for RIC. I haven't looked at them too much since they were released so I may post about them later this evening.

Quick and dirty.....

Average monthly temperatures are a good 2 degrees warmer than 1971-2000

The daily normal high temperature for the first 24 days of July range from 89.5 peaking at 90.1 from the 9th to 13th. Bottom line, the normal high temperature reaches 90 degrees for almost the entire month.

Snowfall: 10.3"

Rainfall: 43.60"

February is the driest month on average with 2.76"

August is the wettest month with 4.66"

Questions?

RIC file Link: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/normals/1981-2010/products/station/USW00013740.normals.txt

I'm still going through the data and will pick out other things as I continue to go through it.

HaHa, this was a topic of conversation at the office today. I'm still not sure we're going to be "popping the cork" on this one, even w/o storms. All it took last year was a slight north wind, a slight drop in the dewpoint under mainly clear skies and presto...RIC dropped to 79.4F just before 1 am EDT (...or midnight EST, which is what governs the climate "day"). When I left the office, the latest GFS LAMP guidance had RIC at 80F at 05Z, or midnight EST. It's gonna be close!!

If it happens, as you know, it'll represent the first time RIC never got below 80F during a calendar day. It's bound to happen at some point, it's just a matter of time.

This looks to be a lock, Brian. No way RIC cools down 10 degrees in the next two hours. Haha...how the heck did we go this long maintaining that old record?

Quick and dirty.....

Average monthly temperatures are a good 2 degrees warmer than 1971-2000

The daily normal high temperature for the first 24 days of July range from 89.5 peaking at 90.1 from the 9th to 13th. Bottom line, the normal high temperature reaches 90 degrees for almost the entire month.

Snowfall: 10.3"

Rainfall: 43.60"

February is the driest month on average with 2.76"

August is the wettest month with 4.66"

Questions?

RIC file Link: http://www1.ncdc.noa...740.normals.txt

I'm still going through the data and will pick out other things as I continue to go through it.

February will probably always be the driest month based a little on time of year and a lot on only 28 days of obs. August becoming the wettest month of the year...take out Gaston in 2004 and I bet that statistic changes.

Also seems like meeting / exceeding "average" snowfall is going to be a lot easier for the next decade.

Archived