christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Richmond Metro Obs and Discussion Thread

RIC Airport

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic dumb question, I'm sure, but I've noticed the past few days that the storms have been moving almost constantly from the southeast to the northwest. I've seen this happen before for short periods, but I don't recall having seen it happen for so long. Can anyone explain to me why? And is it unusual, or am I just stupendously unobservant?

Its not an overly common occurrence for this time of year...

The main cause of this set of events has been the cut off nature of this system off to our south and west. Normally march is considered the prime time for such cut offs to form. May is NOT the usual for such cut offs.. especially one that is lingering around for this long.

For storms to move from the south east to the north west in this region; we need circulation center off to our south-west ... as has been the case for the last two and a half days. I say usually we get maybe one or two cut offs that produce convection (typically late in the winter.. through mid spring). Usually its only a day.. or two max... this is a bit of prolonged and late season version of such an occurrence.

A majority of the time our convection is associated with strong moving cold fronts with low pressure systems that pass to our north and west.. leading to convection to come from the south west/ west/ or north westerly direction as the cold front sweeps through.

Another way we get atypical convection movement .. is associated with tropical cyclones approaching the area from the south and east... :arrowhead:

Sorry about the inactivity lately in my home region.. :-x I'm not a big fan of summer time weather events (I.E. Thunderstorms...)

I do like tropical weather though.... ( I think I crave the anticipation and tracking of weather events more associated with winter storms and tropical storms more than the short term tracking of daily thunderstorms.. ) :lightning:

Sorry about the inactivity lately in my home region.. :-x I'm not a big fan of summer time weather events (I.E. Thunderstorms...)

I do like tropical weather though.... ( I think I crave the anticipation and tracking of weather events more associated with winter storms and tropical storms more than the short term tracking of daily thunderstorms.. ) :lightning:

Same here plus this is my busy season

Been a long time since we've been this hot in May. Tomorrow looks really interesting.....could possibly hit 100, which has only happened one time during the month of May.

F'ing miserable out today. Hopefully this is our worst heat wave of the season right off the bat.

If I have to deal with this **** all summer again, I might ask the wife to re-locate to Barrow, AK.

F'ing miserable out today. Hopefully this is our worst heat wave of the season right off the bat.

If I have to deal with this **** all summer again, I might ask the wife to re-locate to Barrow, AK.

Can't imagine this summer rivaling last. Sometimes the warmth can be solely due to extremely high minimum temperatures as the case with summer 2005 and 2006 which skews the data. Summer 2010 and other top 10 hot summers like 1993 were driven by record daytime highs. We need to start using the 1981-2010 normals and means.....1971-2000 is waaayyy outdated.

Could the high humidity actually keep us from hitting 100F today? It's rough out there.

Archived