joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko NV Discussion thread

Rib

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find amazing about this past week so far was how the models had a very difficult time picking up the strength of that Polar disturbance, which lead to the upper low. I think that is going to be a theme for much of the winter, through the Fall model guidance, IMO, has been too weak with these disturbances.

I'm sure I'm biased, but I'd argue it was the poor handling of Tomas that contributed to model errors as much as anything else. With Tomas and its remnants constantly supplying latent heat to the east of the storm, there was extra baroclinicity for the low to work with. The short range forecasts had Tomas heading out into the open Atlantic versus becoming entrained into the low. Also, the seven dayish forecasts, which did show the entrainment of Tomas, had the low bombing out.

I'm sure I'm biased, but I'd argue it was the poor handling of Tomas that contributed to model errors as much as anything else. With Tomas and its remnants constantly supplying latent heat to the east of the storm, there was extra baroclinicity for the low to work with. The short range forecasts had Tomas heading out into the open Atlantic versus becoming entrained into the low. Also, the seven dayish forecasts, which did show the entrainment of Tomas, had the low bombing out.

No doubt that the handling of Tomas was part of the forecasting problem. I completely agree. However, in various model runs from the GFS to ECMWF and in between, the 500 MB vort diving into the Great Lakes and eventually towards the Mid Atlantic was far weaker on guidance than what actually transpired. This was before there was any direction interaction with the remnants of Tomas or the enhancer baroclinicity. So I guess you can say the whole situation was handled poorly.

This was before there was any direction interaction with the remnants of Tomas or the enhancer baroclinicity.

I'll be quiet after this because I honestly wasn't watching the situation that closely due to travel and this is more of a general statement, but tropical systems and remnants can be 1500 mi away and still affect baroclinic systems. You don't need direct interaction to cause the baroclinic lows to deepen through warm advection processes.

I'll be quiet after this because I honestly wasn't watching the situation that closely due to travel and this is more of a general statement, but tropical systems and remnants can be 1500 mi away and still affect baroclinic systems. You don't need direct interaction to cause the baroclinic lows to deepen through warm advection processes.

I understand that and I'm not disputing that. Just that wasn't the only factor.

it's a nightmare dressing for class this week :lol: It's freezing in the morning but after i'm done class it's up into the low 60s and i'm on fire. May go play some golf today...$15 bucks walking 18 at the local course here.

I know...I just brave heading out the door without a jacket in the AM because by 10/11 AM it's warm out.

Beautiful day today BTW

Lows this morning, they were all over the place:

TTN 37

DYL 31

PNE 35

NXX 34

WRI 33

VAY 31

SMQ 22

LOM 31

NEL 26

UKT 27