amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
End of January "clipper" threat

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea at this point I dont look at the models and just check out the radar. If narrow bands setup, 5 inches in attainable with most of it occuring at night here with good ratios.

This does send up a red flag for me because normally if a storm was going to overachieve (or at the very least remain on track) the QPF amounts would remain steady if not slowly increase. The thing with clippers too is they can either overachieve or underachieve, they rarely i never produce as forecasted.

The fact that the QPF now is slowly decreasing with time has me wondering if this storm will underachive, which of course doesn't say much because it's not that impressive of a system to begin with.

This does send up a red flag for me because normally if a storm was going to overachive (or at the very least remain on track) the QPF amounts would remain steady if not slowly increase. The thing with clippers too is they can either overchieve or underacheve, they rarely i never produce as forecasted.

The fact that the QPF now is slowly decreasing with time has me wondring if this storm will underachive, which of course doesn't say much because it's not that impressive of a system to begin with.

Yesterdays weak wave may have something to do with that. Would've been sweet if they would have phased. Either way hoping for the best. You would think it would atleast maintain its 1000 strength because its coming into less of a dry air mass the further south it comes out of canada.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out here. It seems the 2 clippers will combine for a very "spread the wealth" scenario in SE MI, as the first weaker clipper dropped a solid 2" (a jackpot of 2.3" imby) on most areas south of Detroit while many areas north of town saw an inch or less. This stronger clipper looks to drop its heaviest snow north of Detroit, so while areas near the OH border will still probably see another good 2", expect areas north of town to see at least 3"-4". So in the end, it looks like most areas will have at least 4" of new snow over the 48-hr period, probably more. Snow depth in SE MI areawide should range from 6-10" by tomorrow :) Ratios for clipper #1 were about 20-1, so if we can match those on clipper #2, expect to see many 5" reports popping up.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out here. It seems the 2 clippers will combine for a very "spread the wealth" scenario in SE MI, as the first weaker clipper dropped a solid 2" (a jackpot of 2.3" imby) on most areas south of Detroit while many areas north of town saw an inch or less. This stronger clipper looks to drop its heaviest snow north of Detroit, so while areas near the OH border will still probably see another good 2", expect areas north of town to see at least 3"-4". So in the end, it looks like most areas will have at least 4" of new snow over the 48-hr period, probably more. Snow depth in SE MI areawide should range from 6-10" by tomorrow :) Ratios for clipper #1 were about 20-1, so if we can match those on clipper #2, expect to see many 5" reports popping up.

Thats what Im thinking north and along 59 will be flirting with 5" just an appetizer to next weeks storm!

If you're a fan of big snowstorms it's been quite boring.

To each his own I suppose.

Id say a more accurate statement is "if the only thing that really matters to you is big snowstorms, its been quite boring". Because I am a fan of big snowstorms, but a bigger fan of winter, and snow falling almost every day and constant snowcover and cold = perfect. But agree, to each his own. Regardless any way you want to slice it, January is going to end up with well above normal snowfall.

Id say a more accurate statement is "if the only thing that really matters to you is big snowstorms, its been quite boring". Because I am a fan of big snowstorms, but a bigger fan of winter, and snow falling almost every day and constant snowcover and cold = perfect. But agree, to each his own. Regardless any way you want to slice it, January is going to end up with well above normal snowfall.

For me it's not a question of what we got but how we got it.

SSC said it best before. It's one of those above averge months that still leave much to be desired for some. Somewhat like how you graduated college (which is good) but you still didn't experience an actual college lifestyle. Isn't that how you felt in msot of 2007-2008 when it came to snowcover?

But yeah, if you enjoy nickel & dimes then it was the perfect month.

SSC said it best before. It's one of those above averge months that still leave much to be desired for some. Somewhat like how you graduated college (which is good) but you still didn't experience an actual college lifestyle. Isn't that how you felt in msot of 2007-2008 when it came to snowcover?

Would help if you put your location up. I am assuming your from detroit area.

Didn't expect this when I woke up:

.A FAST MOVING ALBERTA CLIPPER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK

FROM CENTRAL MINNESOTA...ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN TO NORTHEAST

INDIANA FROM LATE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

SNOW ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP QUICKLY BY MID

AFTERNOON AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA AS

THE EVENING APPROACHES.

BY THE TIME THE SNOW DIMINISHES AROUND MIDNIGHT...3 TO 4 INCHES

OF ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED. THERE MAY BE SOME LOCAL 5 INCH

AMOUNTS OVER PARTS OF SHEBOYGAN COUNTY. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS WILL

GENERALLY BE LOCATED EAST OF A LINE STRETCHING FROM FOND DU LAC

TO WEST BEND AND SAUKVILLE.

Have had 39.1" of snow at the NWS office 6 miles form my house, so that is what i use as my total too since it's usually the same as i get. this has been a weird winter for me. As far as snow on the ground, according to a local Met here, it's been a constant snowcover 93% of the time since Dec 1st. I feel nickle and dimed to death tho. i am itching so bad for a good snow storm. Wondering if it is going to happen this winter.

all that said, i have enjoyed the snowcover and frequents snows. Since dec 1st, have had snow 45 days, which has been nice. Still overall not happy with this Winter even tho I went to South bend and was able to see the epic snow they had. I just want one good storm and i will go into Spring mode.

Well 2007-08 was the perfect example of how I do enjoy snowstorms AND snowcover. I was very upset every time our snowpack was torched away, but then within a day or two or three it was right back because we kept getting storms. If we could guarentee a winter like that again, TRUST me Id be all for it and willing to take the snowpack destroying torches IF I knew another storm was a day or two away. But honestly, dont know if we can ever get that lucky again lol. Itd be like lightning striking the same place twice. Its very rare to luck out every time you lose snowpack with immediate replenishment. Usually sometimes you get the torch, lose the snow, then have to go a week or more with bare frigid ground, which is why I hate torches.

Have had 39.1" of snow at the NWS office 6 miles form my house, so that is what i use as my total too since it's usually the same as i get. this has been a weird winter for me. As far as snow on the ground. According to a local Met here, it's been a constant snowcover 93% of the time since Dec 1st. I feel nickle and dimed to death tho. i am itching so bad for a good snow storm. Wondering if it is going to happen this winter.

all that said, i have enjoyed the snowcover and frequents snows. Since dec 1st, have had snow 45 days, which has been nice. Still overall not happy with this Winter even tho I went to South bend and was able to see the epic snow they had. I just want one good storm and i will go into Spring mode.

Agreed.

I would probably forget how nickel & dimey this winter was if we can just get one big storm.

Archived