Jump to content

alex

Members
  • Posts

    4,683
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by alex

  1. Cool cloud half way up the mountain today
  2. Looks chilly - mid 20s at night and mid 40s daytime. 26 and a chance of showers Monday night…
  3. Our forecast says mid 20s with a chance of showers on Monday night… better not snow, that would not be good for foliage!
  4. That’s why I like the pre-peak period. The contrast is much better than when it’s all orange and red in my opinion. Except for areas with lots of pines mixed in, obviously those always have good contrast. I imagine we’ll be past peak by next week but hopefully the colors last a bit
  5. Pictures don’t do it justice, it’s absolutely magnificent
  6. Lawn is the frostiest I’ve seen it so far
  7. Down to 28.8 last night. Gets just a tad lower every day lol
  8. I think we all favor blocking lol. Too bad Mother Nature doesn’t care about our preferences
  9. Big temperature differences here. 31 at home, 37 in Twin Mountain just a few miles away
  10. The endless summer has ended. Currently 31.6
  11. Yessss. I saw it for a few minutes when they were testing it on Wednesday but yesterday you couldn’t see a thing
  12. Not sure… but would be right in line with our usual first frost date. Probably won’t be up to see it though lol. Lots of cold people watching the Mt Washington 9/11 memorial
  13. Haha true but it’s not like we are going to be skiing next week. All it’s gonna do is deliver the final hit to my already struggling tomatoes
  14. Looks like all good things need to come to an end…
  15. That’s bizarre. My PWS has recorded almost 4” in just the last 10 days (a good chunk of it from 2.71” on August 9)
  16. We actually managed a low of 39.9 at home last night - first 30s since June 10
  17. Amazing how much difference the topography of Hawaii makes. It’s been calm wind with occasional light showers all day here in Kona, although the wind is now ripping. The leeward side of the island has been battered all day
  18. We were supposed to be in Volcano tonight, but the forecast there is for 15+ inches of rain plus the wind, and the town doesn’t have a particularly strong infrastructure so we rented a home in Kona instead up on the hill. ChatGPT says this should be the most sheltered spot on the island. As an added bonus it has a good 180 view to the West so it should be a fun spot to watch the hurricane from. Hopefully not too many issues. A bit bummed that I don’t get to spend any time in Volcano, I love spending time in the rainforest there, but with 2 kids in tow and the possibility of being without power, water or even road access for days didn’t seem wise. But hey, it’ll be a trip of firsts: first lava fountain, first actual hurricane (assuming it does become a hurricane).
  19. Yep! I’ve seen erupting a few years ago when the lava was flowing into the ocean - cool, but this was another level
  20. I’ll be on Big Island till Monday… yikes
  21. Got this crossed off my bucket list tonight. Soooo cool
×
×
  • Create New...