• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

maybe....interested to see the trend on the RAP for forecasted strength/placement of LP throughout the day...

You should have some sweet views of the plumage over the lake from the office tomorrow....I forget what direction you face though

we have a full floor so i can get views all directions but the view is largely obstructed with buildings to the east, although there are a few places I can see all the way to the lake.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone in the Chicago area remember what the largest LES event at one time was for them? Just curious as how often the other side of the big lake gets any decent LES? I wouldn't think it occurs to often, I do know areas toward the southern tip towards Gary on east happens more frequently compared to Chicago direction.

Can't remember if it was January or February 2005 or 2006. But we had 6-7" of synoptic snow and 6-9" LES. Wrigleyville had 16-18"

Can anyone in the Chicago area remember what the largest LES event at one time was for them? Just curious as how often the other side of the big lake gets any decent LES? I wouldn't think it occurs to often, I do know areas toward the southern tip towards Gary on east happens more frequently compared to Chicago direction.

[/quote

CHI LE events never live up to the hype.

I can't think of a time when LOT had the city proper down for hyped amounts...it's usually a 2-8" thing favoring far SE Cook. There have been a handful of overperformers as well but this is going to be too transient for that.

I can't think of a time when the city had 2 good lake effect setups less than a month apart.  :guitar:

for more information, this was discussed here as well back in late November.... http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41759-pre-thanksgiving-cold-lesother-snow-prospects/page-5#entry2490727

I can't think of a time when LOT had the city proper down for hyped amounts...it's usually a 2-8" thing favoring far SE Cook. There have been a handful of overperformers as well but this is going to be too transient for that.

hope you guys get creamed!

depth is at a season peak here. N flow does nothing for me tho.

CHI LE events never live up to the hype.

well it's all relative IMO...a 3 inch LE event is a bigger deal for Chicago, where it may only be a nuisance LE event for legit snowbelt regions...

On the other hand, Chicago has already been affected by a decent (by Chicago standards) LE event this year....otherwise, I would tend to agree

well it's all relative IMO...a 3 inch LE event is a bigger deal for Chicago, where it may only be a nuisance LE event for legit snowbelt regions...

On the other hand, Chicago has already been affected by a decent (by Chicago standards) LE event this year....otherwise, I would tend to agree

Chicagoan's are hardened by Winter already. They can weather about anything at this point. a 3-5" snow is nuisance snow by most at this point.

hope you guys get creamed!

depth is at a season peak here. N flow does nothing for me tho.

attachicon.gifsnowdepth1.jpg

attachicon.gifdeepsnow1.jpg

I need to bring my sled over and put some good use to that untouched snow, have about the same depth at my house but I am surrounded by thick woods so hurts my ability to run around the house.

Yea, also not a fan of the N Flow winds, such as waste, all we get is the cold, very little snow, the clipper middle and end of the week looks like we will tack on to the snowpack however. 

there are plenty of double digit LE events around NE IL so never is probably too strong of a word. More accurate would be to say models are often too far west with lake bands and often miss the subtle meso lows that lead to rare over performers.

Question on meso's, aren't they basically formed by a differential lake breeze and typically associated with weak wind fields?  Also, spot on the west bias in models.  It's so typical that I tend to assume LaPorte will get nailed when Porter is in the bullseye at 24 hours.

I need to bring my sled over and put some good use to that untouched snow, have about the same depth at my house but I am surrounded by thick woods so hurts my ability to run around the house.

Yea, also not a fan of the N Flow winds, such as waste, all we get is the cold, very little snow, the clipper middle and end of the week looks like we will tack on to the snowpack however.

I would never consider running my sled around my house. I prefer the untouched snow. plenty of places to go ride... I'm weird that way.

it's so much more serene

Archived