Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Storm chasing in May... looking for a third

Ian

Hey all,

Wanted to float this around to see if anyone is interested. Mark Ellinwood (Ellinwood on the forum) and I are planning our Plains chasecation for this spring.. we've gone with Jason Foster (stormitecture) in the past but he is moving this year so it's just the two of us for now. 

Our timeframe is pretty much the May 10-June 2 window. We'd each like to try for that whole three weeks, though it's to be decided. In the past we've gone for two weeks.

Last year, with rental, it cost about 1,200 each for three people. An extra week might add a few hundred to it with three.  About the cheapest vacation you can go on!

Still haven't completely figured out our plan to get out there--we've driven from MD the last two year. Might do the same this time, though might also be open to flying out and renting there. In that light, we could either meet someone out there (pick up at airport) or all go from MD depending on how it works out. 

So, still some stuff to be decided but thought maybe someone from here would be interested in going along. We'd probably want someone for as long as possible--so if you are thinking of like 5 days we'd probably skip. Though, if it's like 10 might be fine if you're willing to fly in and out. 

You can either send me a msg or respond to this thread.  Please only do so if you're seriously interested. Or I'll ban you. Remember, you'll be with us pretty much nonstop for the whole period.. tho personally it has ended up a lot easier than I would have anticipated prior. :P

Thanks!

Anyone with previous experience would be awesome, but greenhorns are fine, too. Ian and I have done well in forecasting and choosing targets, but it is helpful to have someone along with forecasting experience to help as a tiebreaker if there's a strong enough disagreement on where to target. Any other good high stress driving and/or navigation experience would also be favored. Basically any skills that would benefit the team from a chasing perspective.

For those who only know me through my posts here, I promise I'm easier to get along with/tolerate in person than you may believe based on my posting style :P Just know how to keep yourself cool and collected in high excitement and high stress storm situations and it'll all be good.

Hey all,

Wanted to float this around to see if anyone is interested. Mark Ellinwood (Ellinwood on the forum) and I are planning our Plains chasecation for this spring.. we've gone with Jason Foster (stormitecture) in the past but he is moving this year so it's just the two of us for now.

Our timeframe is pretty much the May 10-June 2 window. We'd each like to try for that whole three weeks, though it's to be decided. In the past we've gone for two weeks.

Last year, with rental, it cost about 1,200 each for three people. An extra week might add a few hundred to it with three. About the cheapest vacation you can go on!

Still haven't completely figured out our plan to get out there--we've driven from MD the last two year. Might do the same this time, though might also be open to flying out and renting there. In that light, we could either meet someone out there (pick up at airport) or all go from MD depending on how it works out.

So, still some stuff to be decided but thought maybe someone from here would be interested in going along. We'd probably want someone for as long as possible--so if you are thinking of like 5 days we'd probably skip. Though, if it's like 10 might be fine if you're willing to fly in and out.

You can either send me a msg or respond to this thread. Please only do so if you're seriously interested. Or I'll ban you. Remember, you'll be with us pretty much nonstop for the whole period.. tho personally it has ended up a lot easier than I would have anticipated prior. :P

Thanks!

I hope you're doing this in about 5 years. I'll be retired and ready to roll. That would be awesome.

I hope you're doing this in about 5 years. I'll be retired and ready to roll. That would be awesome.

Yeah.. me too. I'm thinking I'll prob take next yr off but will undoubtedly want to keep going in the future. 

Also, I'll drop my e-mail here if someone would rather contact that way: [email protected] 

I did a run through of the numbers and figured people will want to have a minimum of $1600-1650 for a full three week trip if we have all equal shares. Ian and I might be willing to pay a bit more of the share if it comes down to that.

For a comparison, a chase tour that would give you a full 10 days of chasing would cost around $3300-3700. We're half that and we'll have about 18 full chase days.

• 3 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WxMeddler got the third spot? I think I saw that in a tweet.

Yup, I was (to some degree) tied up with preparing the house to sell and preparing for my move to Florida. House is just about to hit the market and assuming it sells, I may have time to chase in the end.

Mark and Ian were cool partners. I don't think we'll team up again (but I'll never say never). They have two seasons under the belt, and I think they are ready to go on their own. They probably won't be as agressive as I was, but I have zero doubts between Mark & Ian, they'll do pretty good on the forecasting side. Meddler is a cool guy, and should make a great third.

If we cross paths, that would be even more cool. Heck...might still even call them for a tricky forecast when I am second guessing myself (admit, out of practice since Mark did a great job, and I got lazy with my own forecasting).

Good Luck guys, stay safe, and take lots of pictures.

Archived