Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would trade my rain forrest for some drought. Been so long i forget what real dry is

I know the feeling. I visited Minnesota last summer and the extended dry period felt odd. Don't think droughts are in our future any time soon. 

When was the region's last real drought? I think I can vaguely recall one in the early 2000s. 

I remember grass dry as hay in nockamixon back in 1999 that might be the last real drought

I believe you're correct, that 1999 summer was last serious drought we've experienced, overall the 90's were a fairly dry decade & culminating with that brutal dry stretch from late May through mid AUG 1999 resulted in nearly a state wide drought emergency.

Locally from 5/25/99-8/7/99 we rec'd 2" of rain, was amazing how fast the drought literally washed away - from 8/8/99 to 9/30/99 we rec'd 20" of rain

post-1715-0-76963500-1405817181_thumb.jp

Suddenly tonight, a new sound this season:  the katydids are yakking in the woods tonight.  Soon they will be making a racket on warm nights.  Never heard these in old Jersey City.  Not enough trees, I guess

Edit:

Here are a couple of .wav files to illustrate what a katydid sounds like:

http://ifasgallery.ifas.ufl.edu/entnem/walker/buzz/141sl1.wav

http://ifasgallery.ifas.ufl.edu/entnem/walker/buzz/142ss2.wav

These were no doubt taken on a hot night, when the chirping gets more frenetic.

'Nuf said.

Suddenly tonight, a new sound this season:  the katydids are yakking in the woods tonight.  Soon they will be making a racket on warm nights.  Never heard these in old Jersey City.  Not enough trees, I guess

Edit:

Here are a couple of .wav files to illustrate what a katydid sounds like:

http://ifasgallery.ifas.ufl.edu/entnem/walker/buzz/141sl1.wav

http://ifasgallery.ifas.ufl.edu/entnem/walker/buzz/142ss2.wav

These were no doubt taken on a hot night, when the chirping gets more frenetic.

'Nuf said.

Thanks for the report!

Haven't heard any here yet, although have heard a couple of locusts during the day, not very many though.

The katydid sound at night is awesome, especially when there's a lot of them. Generally I associate them with August, and I've heard an occasional one as late as November during a warm spell. Like the crickets, the chirping frequency gets slower as the nighttime temperatures get cooler in September.

Thanks for the report!

Haven't heard any here yet, although have heard a couple of locusts during the day, not very many though.

The katydid sound at night is awesome, especially when there's a lot of them. Generally I associate them with August, and I've heard an occasional one as late as November during a warm spell. Like the crickets, the chirping frequency gets slower as the nighttime temperatures get cooler in September.

Yeah, they really make a racket on those warm August nights.  Like they are frantic about something.  The katydid sound is raucous, but I love the crickets.  Except when they are in the house. :yikes:

Thanks for the report!

Haven't heard any here yet, although have heard a couple of locusts during the day, not very many though.

The katydid sound at night is awesome, especially when there's a lot of them. Generally I associate them with August, and I've heard an occasional one as late as November during a warm spell. Like the crickets, the chirping frequency gets slower as the nighttime temperatures get cooler in September.

so funny..had just asked my wife if she had heard either yet this summer and then last night and today there they were...at last!

reminds me of my childhood and collecting the cicada shells off the trees. very late this year for the cicada as each year that i can remember they start like clockwork around the last week in june around my birthday..almost a month late this year (cold winter and wet spring/early summer??)

http://mobile.philly.com/news/breaking/?wss=/philly/news/breaking&id=267526531

The donkey Bolaris continues to add to his checkered legacy, "brutal heat wave".... triple digit heat :lmao:

Not like every 7-10 day Euro blast furnace this summer  has literally evaporated once we've gotten to the actual timeframe

He nailed that one!   :axe:

"Not one forecaster or weather outlet is forecasting a heat wave for next week - except for me."

When he's the 'only one', he should probably change his mind.  Being the only one hasn't worked out too well for him. 

"Not one forecaster or weather outlet is forecasting a heat wave for next week - except for me."

When he's the 'only one', he should probably change his mind.  Being the only one hasn't worked out too well for him. 

"Could I be dead wrong?"

...Yes. 

So for me locally the "brutal" heat wave is going to be one day barely scrapping 90 degrees, embarrassing

Either Bolaris needed some press or maybe he can claim he was drugged by hot Russian women when he made that forecast.....

So for me locally the "brutal" heat wave is going to be one day barely scrapping 90 degrees, embarrassing

Either Bolaris needed some press or maybe he can claim he was drugged by hot Russian women when he made that forecast.....

Yep, same here. This heat wave was terrible....

It must be press he's after as I think you're only allowed one Russian mafia hooker drugging per lifetime.

Archived