Posted Image

Photo

January 2014 General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

daddylonglegs

• 4,893 posts
  • Joined November 14, 2010

Got 44.6F here...  almost time to wash the car.

beavis1729

• 897 posts
  • Joined November 13, 2010

What was once thought to be a slight warm-up is becoming much more...it's now above freezing (34) in INL...which is about 25 degrees above normal.

I thought the rain was bad enough here...but even Green Bay got heavy rain within 36 hours after having temps in the -20's.  Mother Nature can be cruel. :)

Everyone made such a big deal of the arctic outbreak earlier this week...but at least in the Upper Midwest, the current warm-up is just as anomalous in the other direction. 

weatherbo

• It's the Lake Effect

• 2,925 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2010

epic snow pack to the south took a massive hit. lost a lot here too tho.

this mornings snow depth

Geos

• 11,159 posts
  • Joined November 27, 2011

Up to 39° with nearly full sun and increasing winds. Snow depth 8".

cyclone77

• 8,089 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2010

Hit 43 here.

IWXwx

• Clippers...Nature's stat padders

• 2,602 posts

Hit 43 here.

Underperforming here. Progged to hit 42°. Stratus finally mixed out and the temps shot from the upper 20's to 37°. Clouds rolled back in and temps flatlined.

hm8

• WRF-RIP 4lyfe

• 4,065 posts

Parking lot is an ice rink

rype8upu.jpg

Pic from Friday night in the rain

qa3e5e5y.jpg

Geos

• 11,159 posts

Made it to 41° here. Around 7" of snow left. 

Whitelakeroy

• 741 posts
  • Joined December 12, 2013

Parking lot is an ice rink

That's exactly what my 700' driveway looks like and many dirt roads around here ... I have been adding sand and salt daily but I need a truck load.  No worries it will eventually get better as there is one thing about snow and ice in this area it will melt before too long.

michsnowfreak

• 7,249 posts

Interesting pics hm. Calling snow depth 5" here. Certainly spots with more but also certainly spots with less. Of course the sun was out today too. January thaw. Hopefully we salvage enough snow after tomorrow.

3757-800.jpg

3758-800.jpg

michsnowfreak

• 7,249 posts

What was once thought to be a slight warm-up is becoming much more...it's now above freezing (34) in INL...which is about 25 degrees above normal.

I thought the rain was bad enough here...but even Green Bay got heavy rain within 36 hours after having temps in the -20's.  Mother Nature can be cruel. :)

Everyone made such a big deal of the arctic outbreak earlier this week...but at least in the Upper Midwest, the current warm-up is just as anomalous in the other direction. 

Green Bay is certainly a candidate for the ****tiest luck since Christmas. They have had a total of 0.2" since December 26th (and no measurable snow since December 30th), suffered through prolonged brutal cold, then get rain.

Jonger1150

• Winter is Leaving.

• 9,338 posts
  • Joined November 7, 2011

Interesting pics hm. Calling snow depth 5" here. Certainly spots with more but also certainly spots with less. Of course the sun was out today too. January thaw. Hopefully we salvage enough snow after tomorrow.

That snow is only worth something with a couple inches covering it up, as it is now..... Worthless and ugly.

michsnowfreak

• 7,249 posts

That snow is only worth something with a couple inches covering it up, as it is now..... Worthless and ugly.

Its about a base for future snowfall, pure and simple (imo that is).

BuffaloWeather

• 2,330 posts
  • Joined November 30, 2010

A meteor just went by our area.

http://mobile.gazett...ver-new-england

Geos

• 11,159 posts

Temperatures being really held up tonight. At the high for today imby, 41.6°.

Edit: Still rising.

michsnowfreak

• 7,249 posts

Interesting tidbit I found on DTX facebook.

Through Jan 11th, snowfall at DTW of 39.2" is SECOND SNOWIEST to-date since records began in 1880. The only season with more snow having fallen thru Jan 11th is 1974-75 (44.4"). Flint is 3rd snowiest thru Jan 11th, behind only 1951-52 & 2008-09, though their records do not go quite as far back.

Absolutely anything could happen the rest of this winter (good OR bad), but when you add this to the record snow seasons of 2004-05, 2007-08, 2008-09, & 2010-11 its really mind boggling to think of the kind of snow stuff that has occurred here since this young century began.

Geos

• 11,159 posts

Amazing the difference between 5 nights ago and tonight. Feels like a March evening out there. 42° currently. 44° at ORD.

Thinking it may stay above guidance tonight.

A push for 45° tomorrow?

BuffaloWeather

• 2,330 posts

Amazing the difference between 5 nights ago and tonight. Feels like a March evening out there. 42° currently. 44° at ORD.

Thinking it may stay above guidance tonight.

A push for 45° tomorrow?

Calling for a high of 47 here tomorrow, I bet we hit 50 easy. Hopefully we can get some sun to make it feel even nicer out.

cyclone77

• 8,089 posts

Down to about 4" of cement now.  Several more days of above freezing temps over the next week with little to no replenishment in sight.  Could be looking at an ugly brown lawn by this time next week.

Stebo

• Mr. Perfect

• 11,842 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2010

Sitting at 37 currently, surprisingly though there was a decent amount of black ice due to the colder ground than the air.

blackrock

• 1,104 posts

I just went for a walk. We actually still have about a foot of snow left in many places around here. The new snow melted rapidly, while the older snow is not going anywhere fast. It will make a good base. I'm ready for this overachieving thaw to be done.

Stebo, I too noticed the black ice. I wasn't expecting it with temps in the upper 30s and nearly went sliding down the hill while walking. Interesting, as the top of the snowpack is not really frozen, yet the water running from it is.

Geos

• 11,159 posts

At 37° here. No ice to be seen on my driveway at least.

EDIT: Snow depth at home down to 5". More bare spots opening up.

Snow cover really thin in Kenosha and becoming thin in Racine. Only a couple inches left north of the border.

hm8

• WRF-RIP 4lyfe

• 4,065 posts

Torching hard. 45 degrees already at YIP, DET and DUH

EDIT: OBVIOUSLY USING "TORCH" SARCASTICALLY 

Geos

• 11,159 posts

Yeah 42° here. Could tack on another degree or two before CAA kicks in.

Surprisingly, a lot of the grass spots that are showing through, have some green still. 

Geos

• 11,159 posts

Up to 44-45°, feels like spring outside. Snow cover wasting away under nearly full sun.

BuffaloWeather

• 2,330 posts

As I suspected we have hit a high of 51 so far today. Whenever we get downsloping winds you can add 5 degrees to the forecasted high and usually come out with the actual high of the day. ^_^

daddylonglegs

• 4,893 posts
  • Joined November 14, 2010

36F with strong west winds here...but beautiful blue skies all morning.  Still a ton of melting occurring.  Old lady across the street lost all of her snow on the roof the past 2 days from melt...  sun doing a good job.

blackrock

• 1,104 posts

As I suspected we have hit a high of 51 so far today. Whenever we get downsloping winds you can add 5 degrees to the forecasted high and usually come out with the actual high of the day. ^_^

What was your snow depth before this and what is it now?

BuffaloWeather

• 2,330 posts

What was your snow depth before this and what is it now?

We had a snow depth of 2 feet twice and the thaws have wiped out both of them nearly clean. I'm going to go with 0 snow depth, just piles and some drifts from the wind driven lake effect. Hard to battle 3 days of 50+ with 1+ inches of rain. I truly enjoy the warm ups though, being cold for to long gets old and tiresome. I went boarding 10+ times already this year and snowmobiling a few times as well.

blackrock

• 1,104 posts

We had a snow depth of 2 feet twice and the thaws have wiped out both of them nearly clean. I'm going to go with 0 snow depth, just piles and some drifts from the wind driven lake effect. Hard to battle 3 days of 50+ with 1+ inches of rain. I truly enjoy the warm ups though, being cold for to long gets old and tiresome. I went boarding 10+ times already this year and snowmobiling a few times as well.

Holy cow...that is a lot. I checked webcams from NY after asking you and was shocked to see mostly grass in your area.

Jonger1150

• Winter is Leaving.

• 9,338 posts
  • Joined November 7, 2011

Holy cow...that is a lot. I checked webcams from NY after asking you and was shocked to see mostly grass in your area.

Ontario has amazing snow to the north of them, great trails and some skiing locations.

michsnowfreak

• 7,249 posts

As a weather observer, this is one of the hardest times I can remember for picking a snow depth. Ill go ahead and call it 4", but I almost stayed with 5". We lost very little today despite it being the warmest day (high 45F, dewpoints peaked at 38F). It is CEMENT. My yard actually is much deeper, as the whole side is still covered in am 8-12" HARDPACKED drift and there are no bare spots. Neighbor on one side has a big bare spot in the middle of her yard (& a foot drift against her fence), the neighbor on the other side has a solid 6-10" covering her yard but a big bare spot under her tree. Went in the alley which is completely void of trees, shoveled snow, and a bit more shielded from wind...and came up with 3-5" on the north third of the alley, 2-3" in the center third, and 5-10" in the south third of the alley. So settled on 4".

Ottawa Blizzard

• 3,445 posts

I am really losing my snowpack now. Light rain falling, temperature in the low 40s. This thaw can't end soon enough.

michsnowfreak

• 7,249 posts

I am really losing my snowpack now. Light rain falling, temperature in the low 40s. This thaw can't end soon enough.

For here, Im looking at it two ways. Glass half full: We rarely make it out of thaws here with more than piles and a few patches remaining. Actually, often times they last JUST long enough to deplete almost everything, then cold rushes in, and shortly thereafter more fresh snow comes but it now has lost a base to build on. Thats not the case this time..we have a pretty solid snowpack remaining that should be among the hardest glaciers we ever see once the temps/dews fall below freezing. Glass half empty: When I think of how deep the snow was last week...UGGGh.

Snowstorms

• 1,766 posts
  • Joined August 6, 2011

I'm down to 3" of crust. Some areas are bare grass. :( The "glacial" ice from the ice storm really melted off and now its puddles of water everywhere. Need to bring down the temperatures quick, lol. 

The latest GFS does show about 2 to locally 3" by Friday-Saturday which should cover up the crusty snow. However, nothing noteworthy to track through the next 7 days. Zzzzz! F*ck this thaw! Southern Alberta including SSC in for a nice warm-up later this week while we cool down. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users