SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
18-20th Storm potential/ Discussion

stormspotterlive

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unfortunately any chance at the white stuff has gone down the drain next week. Guess all the modelling did poorly with the GFS doing the least poor about sums it up

Ji rule #9 if the euro shows potential snow/wintry conditions developing thats when it's most likely wrong

The GFS has very blatantly obvious errors on the 12z run... I wouldn't call it the golden model, it is far from it. It is close to being synoptically impossible. Days 4-9 this typical of the GFS.

Euro although scattered, the ensembles have been relatively consistent. I am not disagreeing with the inland track, or that there won't be snow, but this won't happen like the 12z GFS depicts.

For all of you JB lovers....uh well maybe the few of you here latest update - take heart his title this PM is "Winter is Coming" - he has not said "delayed but not denied" What happens in December the winter remembers" "Vodka cold" but get your snow blowers ready!! (he didn't say that but I for one am at the ready!)

"A nationwide stormier, colder pattern is evolving. If we look at the ensembles, we see the different members with some real wild looking non cold solutions, solutions I have never seen in winter, where the block does not back up in the means, but instead drops into the east. If that happens, then of course its very warm. If it doesnt and you remove those members, then you get a much colder solution. So it is with this run today. I like both storms running centers to the Ohio valley , then bombing out on the mid atlantic coast as they come northeast to new England. The GFS surface forecast has to be considered, but is likely not catching what the euro caught last night. The euro second storm the one that sends enough cold into the southeas tto threaten Florida with a freeze in 8-10 days, looks like what should happen and is similar to what the Eurga has been implying all along. But the cold is coming, and we have a pattern that will encourage high pressue in Canada and a southern train of storms A look at the JMA shows almost to a T the way I have envisioned this as the ridge now in undercut and the trough takes over.. Notice of the next 4 weeks, 3 have the tongue of cold Alaska to the southeast US notice the beauty of the symetry of what is going on in China with the US! Now watch what happens week 3,4.. the trough develops over the Pacific where the ridge has been been and the large scale trough is in the east, BUT WITH THE STREAM CONTINUING If winter is your wish, you cant beat below normal temps and above normal precip.

The major turnaround can be seen in the GFS day 1-7 and then 8-16.. keep in mind the transition is in the 5-8 day period. This lines up nicely with the JMA message, and most models for that matter. I would look for the ensembles to start kicking the warm members out into the cold and look colder each run

As the pattern sets, I will be honing in on where weather gets wildest.. With the maxes so far south, the GFS riding the storm so far north seems to be overdone and both should redevelop south of New England, east of the mid atlantic. But this will become a coast to coast pattern. The air will be cold enough, especially in light of recent warmth for alot of lake effect as the deep uppper low develops over the east. The cold surge goes into the southeast. the southern plains become a worry for snow and ice as waves try to come through the southwest ridge and plow east. As for the interior norheast snow, in december negatives coming through the slot like this dont normally have storms run to the lakes and so reformation is likely"

Euro ens are a good bit better for the late week threat. Though, their still would be a push of mild air with a primary into mich but the coastal development will turn the winds to the north and advect cold air in.

That's some good cold air and nice HP diving into the upper midwest. About time we see good old HP over Canada. At least is should get colder around Christmas. Happy holidays all btw.

I think last nights 00z euro run showed that sweet storm Day 7-9 because of the better block and a stronger 50/50 low...todays 12z wasn't as strong in those areas so the miller b formed too far north. tombo, today's 12z EURO @ 168-192hrs what does that storm specifically do for us and NE precip-wise.

The op is just basically a glorified cold front with some sort of wave on it. The low in the lakes is the primary low the whole time. It dumps .5-1 of rain.

The southeast ridge on the 18z GFS causes the end of the week storm to shoot up to the lakes.

Yea its in response to the digging shortwave coming out of the rockies. The whole 18z gfs depiction of that is horrid. First off you have a high scooting off underneath us, thats southerly winds. Then you have the low going to the lakes which is more southerly winds. It has 925mb temps approaching plus 8. Need that s/w to be less amplified and almost flat. then it can start getting its act together once to the mississippi

I wouldn't be. It seems to really be a struggle lately to get a bonafide winter snowstorm in the region here of late.

The pattern does look better heading into christmas and just after...It does up the chances of wintry precip but their are definitely things that can ruin those chances. Like the pna. Its going to be a battle between the pacific and how strong the block is. So far the pacific is winning.

We are stairing at 0 for 4 straight months of meteorological winter fun now. I knew there was a price to be paid for the 2010,2011 winter combo and everybody feared it but this is nasty

As much as it does suck, there is still some hope for the end of DEC imo...Day 8-10 EURO & GFS show a pretty good pattern.

To me the developing pattern looks ripe for winter events here in the NW Philly burbs....now that does not mean huge snowstorms but for sure this is not like last year at all. Very challenging forecast times ahead for our weather professionals. I expect 3 or 4 winter events before the new year. Should be very interesting

To me the developing pattern looks ripe for winter events here in the NW Philly burbs....now that does not mean huge snowstorms but for sure this is not like last year at all. Very challenging forecast times ahead for our weather professionals. I expect 3 or 4 winter events before the new year. Should be very interesting

That could happen, but I'm pretty sure they will all be after the three systems next week.

Archived