joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snowing pretty decently at Mountain Operations building...

One of the more unimpressive radar images, but it is snowing pretty good at this time.

Let us know if you get any info on the accumulations up high PF – 0.16” of liquid down here through 7:00 A.M. and presumably more up on Mansfield. Certainly want to gauge the opportunities for turns as the weekend progresses. Jay Peak definitely needs a web cam of some sort – as they become more of a state of the art resort with all the investment, they should set up a nice one. Even Bolton has one, although they don’t appear to be running it in the off season.

I can’t quite see the snow line with the clouds here at the house, but indeed as PF just showed, it’s down to around the 1,500’ level based on the web cams at the Stowe base area:

This is one of those days where living on RT 2, you're sitting there and 9 out of 10 cars that goes by is wet, then you get that one car from up at Bolton that is caked in a couple inches of wet snow...and you do the double take, haha. A friend I work with who lives up at Bolton reported a healthy coating of white on his car this morning.

I was watching the radar last night and thinking this would be an event that Bolton would do well with... radar was having trouble getting echos to propagate downwind here into Stowe/Waterbury Village/Warren (essentially RT 100 corridor on the east side of the Spine) and it looks like the liquid precip distribution shows that well...

Stowe Village with 0.02" and similar numbers down the RT 100 corridor on this side of the mountains. But on the west side they picked up 0.15-0.3" of QPF. It looks like precip dropped off very quickly as you passed J.Spin's 0.16" amount.

Let us know if you get any info on the accumulations up high PF – 0.16” of liquid down here through 7:00 A.M. and presumably more up on Mansfield. Certainly want to gauge the opportunities for turns as the weekend progresses. Jay Peak definitely needs a web cam of some sort – as they become more of a state of the art resort with all the investment, they should set up a nice one. Even Bolton has one, although they don’t appear to be running it in the off season.

I'm heading up shortly to check it out... will report back early/mid afternoon.

Snowmaking will begin this afternoon, too.

Looks great!

However, no offense, but that looks like 2" tops in the pictures.

It's hard to tell because it was so variable due to the underlying surfaces. Winds were pretty strong so there was no more than 2" on the trees.

Also those photos are from around 3000ft, there was definitely more up near the top of the lifts at 3600ft. I couldn't give you an exact number because the picnic tables up top were blown clean and I don't have a snow board set up yet.

The grassy slope are misleading too because you could get a 6-7" meaurement but the bottom couple inches is grass and air.

I feel good and confident about 4" above 3500ft.

It's hard to tell because it was so variable due to the underlying surfaces. Winds were pretty strong so there was no more than 2" on the trees.

Also those photos are from around 3000ft, there was definitely more up near the top of the lifts at 3600ft. I couldn't give you an exact number because the picnic tables up top were blown clean and I don't have a snow board set up yet.

The grassy slope are misleading too because you could get a 6-7" meaurement but the bottom couple inches is grass and air.

What kind of weenie are you??

Okay gotchya. I didn't know what elevation the pictures were from.

Okay gotchya. I didn't know what elevation the pictures were from.

Here are two more from lower down. First photo is 1800ft, second is 2500ft.

But yeah I didn't have a good accurate way to measure it today, so no report to BTV. I can't wait until the lifts open and I can get my usual set-up back...the sheltered snow board location leaves no question in my mind on snowfall :)

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=77230

2500ft

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=77231

Great AFD from BTV as usual and I can confirm that we are losing the best snow growth...when precip got a bit harder we'd see more normal snowflakes, but a lot of thelight precip was falling in the form of freezing mist and small balls of ice. Jackets were icing up pretty quickly as you skied through the mist. Makes me doubt how much snow falls overnight...probably only an additional inch would be my guess.

BTV....

"Will use a blend between NAM/GFS and btv 4km to highlight potential higher amounts across the terrain...but snow accumulations will be minor. Thinking a dusting to several inches possible above 1500 feet...across the northern dacks/western slopes from Killington to Sugarbush to Stowe to Jay Peak. Also...difficult to determine snow accumulation with limited relative humidity in the favorable snow growth region...per latest soundings...which would support more drizzle/snizzle and rime development within the summits impacted by clouds."

You might have been right Nitteny...

Mansfield Stake came in with 3.0" depth and 2.0" of new snow out of 0.51" melted.

I always trust the stake measurement for depth, but I'm skeptical about only 2.0" new with 0.51" liquid. I really felt good about 4" up at the top of the lifts...and I don't think ratios were *that* bad (5:1). It was dense snow but not soaking wet...high temp up there was 28F and the dense snow seemed to be tied more to poor snow growth instead of sfc temps.

I would've bet 8:1 ratios, with 4" of new snow out of 0.51" melted.

Been a steady light rain on RT 108 in Stowe...not doing much in the village center but as you drive to the mountain it turns into a steady light rain. I haven't been above 1000ft so no idea on snow line. Definitely all rain though down here.

I checked our gauge at 8:00 P.M. and there was an additional 0.08” of liquid in it since I emptied it at 7:00 A.M. this morning, with light rain continuing. We stopped up at Bolton to pick up passes earlier today and I got a few pictures, so I’ll pass some along with some observations when I get a chance this evening.

Rain/snow mix even into the Champlain Valley now.

Yeah just saw KBTV is -RNSN at 40/34!

That's impressive for snow to mix at those temps.

Judging by radar bright banding the mix line looks lower in elevation on the west side than the east side...steadier precip rates and a little added cooling from upslope maybe?

The Chittenden County precipitation machine has been turned on... with WNW winds in the low level, and more due northerly flow at ridgetop level, some good orographic blocking is occurring with precipitation having a hard time making it too far east past the Spine. In the center of Stowe Village not much has been happening except a few light passing showers (the pavement is wet), whereas further up RT 108 as you get closer to Mansfield, it is precipitating steadily. Its been like that all evening long.

BTV's evening update...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 947 PM EDT SATURDAY...GOING FORECAST IN GOOD SHAPE. UPSLOPE

RAIN AND SNOW LIGHTING UP THE WESTERN SLOPES AND PORTIONS OF THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY THIS EVENING. FREEZING LEVEL AS OF 930 PM REMAINS

AROUND 2000 FEET...AND IS EXPECTED TO LOWER THROUGH THE NIGHT. HOWEVER

EVEN WITH A TEMPERATURE OF 40 DEGREES AT BTV...SEEING A RAIN/SNOW

MIX SO SNOW MAY MIX IN JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE THROUGH THE NIGHT. ANY

ACCUMULATING SNOWS STILL LOOK TO BE AT 1200 FEET AND ABOVE FOR

MOST AREAS...WITH POSSIBLE VERY LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS AS LOW AS

1000 FEET ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES IN ANY HEAVIER PRECIPITATION.

On our way toward Burlington to run some errands today, we headed up to Bolton Valley in the mid afternoon to get our season’s passes. Temperatures were in the low 40s F at the house, but started to drop pretty quickly as we ascended the Bolton Valley Access Road. The first signs of snow on the ground along the road were just above the Timberline Base in the 1,700’ elevation range, but I also noticed that slushy snow was still present on vehicles in the parking lot of the Timberline Base Lodge (1,500’) even though there was nothing left on the ground there. I suspect that the snow line was a bit lower last night, but I’m not sure quite had far down it reached. Up in the village at 2,100’ it was snowing with temperatures in the low to mid 30s F, and we found about an inch and a half of accumulated snow on the ground/elevated surfaces. It was quite a contrast descending the road and spending the afternoon in the Burlington area, where the temperatures were in the mid 40s F and it was hard to imagine that it was snowing even below 2,000’, the lapse rate actually seemed steeper than usual today. In the Champlain Valley it was often just cloudy with the feeling that precipitation had wound down, but as the afternoon wore on, spits of precipitation and bouts of light rain became more common. At times we’d have bursts of more moderate precipitation and it was nice to know that moisture was still heading to the mountains and falling as snow. Leaving Burlington later in the evening we went from 42 F in Williston to ~37-38 F at the house. There no accumulating snow to report down here as the temperature is sitting around the 37 F mark, but we’ve got light to moderate rain right now and 0.18” of liquid in the rain gauge since it was emptied this morning, so it’s probably still accumulating at elevation. I’ve added a couple of images from Bolton today below, and I’ve got a couple more in the report at our website:

03NOV12B.jpg

03NOV12C.jpg

...we’ve got light to moderate rain right now and 0.18” of liquid in the rain gauge since it was emptied this morning...

There was 0.23” of liquid in the gauge as of this morning’s observations, thus a total of 0.39” for this stretch over the past couple of days. From Mt. Mansfield, 0.87” was reported through yesterday afternoon, so it certainly doesn’t look like those QPF estimates in the 1” range were too unrealistic. It’s definitely started to dry out here this morning, so it feels like the precipitation might be over, but I do see more echoes upstream on the radar, so we’ll have to see if those eventually come through the area later today.

Archived