• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Colder times ahead?

Harry

Enough support now that i think a thread is deserved.

By that i mean support for some colder times ahead and perhaps bitter cold at that..

1. -NAO looks to try and make a return and more importantly a +PNA.

post-90-0-60709900-1295525825.png

Then when you factor in a pretty decent -EPO we start talking cross polar flow.

post-90-0-66345700-1295525846.png

Even has a bit of support from the tropical forcing/MJO.

post-90-0-94500200-1295525871.gif

How cold it gets is anyone's guess but i suspect if all that plays out we could be talking some serious cold eventually getting into the Plains/MW/GL.

See what others think.

It's sad that this 2-3 week period of favorable teleconnections for snowstorms is going to elapse without bearing much fruit. -NAO is the bane of my existence.

I hear you man. Hopefully that atleast trends a little less negative and or is east based. Basically we gotta hope it does not set up the way it did back in December. Hard to say as far as that goes. Will probably result in a more active clipper pattern atleast.

I hear you man. Hopefully that atleast trends a little less negative and or is east based. Basically we gotta hope it does not set up the way it did back in December. Hard to say as far as that goes. Will probably result in a more active clipper pattern atleast.

More clippers = :wub:. But i cant remember, wrt bigger snowstorms is a +PNA good?

More clippers = :wub:. But i cant remember, wrt bigger snowstorms is a +PNA good?

Yes, but for us it needs help.

We would need absolutely no blocking in the Atlantic and a strong SE ridge.

I'll take my chances with a -PNA personally in the pattern we're in. It allows for the opportunity of bolwing ball/tax panhandle storms.

Yes, but for us it needs help.

We would need absolutely no blocking in the Atlantic and a strong SE ridge.

I'll take my chances with a -PNA personally in the pattern we're in. It allows for the opportunity of bolwing ball/tax panhandle storms.

Personally if the pattern goes the way i think it does we would see more the *traditional* clippers ( Alberta/Sas screamers etc ) via Canada into the Plains headed se/ese. Thus not the junked up crap ones we have seen via the Pac NW/Rockies. Typically these are more common with the +PNA ridge/-EPO.

What would work better is a not so negative NAO and or one that is displaced to the east and not over Greenland as that would offer the shot of a system being able to dig ( thanks to the ridge out west ) and being able to cut west without that block in the way vs getting shoved to i95. Most of our big bombs ( Talking 78 etc type bombs ) in this region had some ridging out west.

Can't complain about not enough cold temps to make ice but not cold enough yet this winter to ever be uncomfortable outside.. I was convinced an above avg temps winter and a kite flying Christmas day - Fail

Should have some great late season ice conditions unless we have another March similar to last winter but I don't see that going down especially the farther north and west you are in the MW.. Daddybigdong better start shoveling his yard now if he wants to see grass before april some time. It might be kinna quiet snow wise down the road but at least I have the Packers going to and winning the Super Bowl to hold me over until hopefully better times lie ahead in Feb.

I don't think some understand that this is not a bad thing as far as storm potential goes. talking about those especially in this area/region. Have a couple of notable differences between this and what we had namely the blocking/-NAO is different as is the +PNA/-EPO.

Sure we could end up going back to that styled blocking ( further out ) but if i had to make a bet i would say it wont. That's me anyways.

The lakes may freeze up pretty good this year. Also, maybe as we get toward Spring, we could get some nice snow events if the cold air sticks sround and the warm air starts to make it's seasonal move north.

Hopefully the severe wx/Ready for spring on March 1st posters don't see this. :P

You guys are ok down there. It could be 75F there and 30F here in late March. I remember one time many years ago, there was freezing rain with a temps of about 30F here and it was 71F in Jackson. That's always interesting as you get into March.

That is insane. When did that happen? Guessing there was a strong front hanging out along/near i96?

Watch it be like 1982.. :guitar::P

You guys are ok down there. It could be 75F there and 30F here in late March. I remember one time many years ago, there was freezing rain with a temps of about 30F here and it was 71F in Jackson. That's always interesting as you get into March.

Yeah there can be some huge gradients. I lose interest in March snow unless it's a big storm or contributing toward some sort of record.

That is insane. When did that happen? Guessing there was a strong front hanging out along/near i96?

Watch it be like 1982.. :guitar::P

It was sometime in the early '90s if my memory is correct. Yeah, there was a front slowly oozing south that day. There was a strong NE wind here and a light SW wind in Jackson. I remember seeing it on the observations on the local forecast on TWC. That was the only place on the list of observations that still had the SW wind. Also, the early April icestorm in 2003 around here had the same situation. It was in the upper 20s with freezing rain here and in the mid to upper 70s around Toledo. Then the front went south and freezing rain occured farther south the next night while there was all sleet here.

Archived