• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post Turkey Day Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

pete if that's true.......you will be first in line.

pete lead a sermon ......me and .......mike could use one? kev is MIA with the bus like OJ prob typing an apology to DT.

How anybody can put much stock in the models beyond 3-5 days is beyond me. Fun to look at sure but if there's a blizzard shown on both the Euro and GFS for D10 does that mean it is destined to happen? Not likely. I take 'torch/cutter scenarios with the same grain of salt. Ultimately the models are trying to forecast weather which is governed by the laws of chaos and that's a tall order. Sure I'd rather have complete model agreement, run to run, that showed us getting hammered by snowstorm after snowstorm but it doesn't work that way. I try to listen to the most astute among us and they are quick to point out that this particular set of parameters that we are faced with will likely give the models fits and there will also be wild swings in the solutions they spit out. Geuss what, we're getting some wild swings. So for a few days the Warministas will crow and then for a few days the weenies will rejoice. In the end though, Winter will make it's presence felt and the snow will come. We'll all hear the sound of the plows going by and have the great joy of playing in the most wonderous of things.. snow. Mark my words, one day soon every SNE weenie will stand at the window and marvel at the beauty of snow falling, illuminated by the backyard light. The board will light up with excited posts about the band that's just about to move in. It's 11/22, and the fun really is about to begin. Fear not.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How anybody can put much stock in the models beyond 3-5 days is beyond me. Fun to look at sure but if there's a blizzard shown on both the Euro and GFS for D10 does that mean it is destined to happen? Not likely. I take 'torch/cutter scenarios with the same grain of salt. Ultimately the models are trying to forecast weather which is governed by the laws of chaos and that's a tall order. Sure I'd rather have complete model agreement, run to run, that showed us getting hammered by snowstorm after snowstorm but it doesn't work that way. I try to listen to the most astute among us and they are quick to point out that this particular set of parameters that we are faced with will likely give the models fits and there will also be wild swings in the solutions they spit out. Geuss what, we're getting some wild swings. So for a few days the Warministas will crow and then for a few days the weenies will rejoice. In the end though, Winter will make it's presence felt and the snow will come. We'll all hear the sound of the plows going by and have the great joy of playing in the most wonderous of things.. snow. Mark my words, one day soon every SNE weenie will stand at the window and marvel at the beauty of snow falling, illuminated by the backyard light. The board will light up with excited posts about the band that's just about to move in. It's 11/22, and the fun really is about to begin. Fear not.

Thank you, Cardinal. A voice of reason among the madness.

LOL When you hear terms like "climo" get thrown around you know things are not positive, just saying, I mean seriously.

Climo for november doesn't have any snow at the CP in SNE. Far interior elevations would probably be mixed at best. NNE Climo might mean a 6" snowfall for some areas interior but also rain/mix on the CP there at best. Mountains could see feet September onward but who actually lives there?

What's your point exactly

I certainly have no horse in this race, I will hopefully get my 30-40 inches of snow and run like mad, although this winter I think its more like 10-20. I think the berks up into especially the greens and daks do fantastic, I think west is best with regards to snow, much rather be in the greens than whites with a potential storm track to our west and redeveloping due to blocking and heading across se ne.

I certainly have no horse in this race, I will hopefully get my 30-40 inches of snow and run like mad, although this winter I think its more like 10-20. I think the berks up into especially the greens and daks do fantastic, I think west is best with regards to snow, much rather be in the greens than whites with a potential storm track to our west and redeveloping due to blocking and heading across se ne.

This is how I see it as well, I think the East gets the least. If I lived on the CP I would be concerned. The East Slope of the Berks is going to get blitzed.

Well, I really did not expect much out of the post t-day storm here for frozen, With marginal cold around and sst's still cooling at this time of year its tough getting snow in here other the the higher elevations and NW, That being said, The upcoming winter pattern was never a cut and dry either or scenario, And i think that reality needs to set in because it looks like we are in for a real roller coaster ride through out as to what to expect going forward, You can't even get ensemble members to agree on what might be taking place pattern wise never mind watching op run after op run with no run to run consistantcy........

This is how I see it as well, I think the East gets the least. If I lived on the CP I would be concerned. The East Slope of the Berks is going to get blitzed.

:lol: You love getting the CP weenies all riled up.

Mountains FTW.

I do like having the security blanket of terrain induced upslope even if synoptic snows fail us.

:lol: You love getting the CP weenies all riled up.

Mountains FTW.

I do like having the security blanket of terrain induced upslope even if synoptic snows fail us.

LOL. Currently 39 here w/rain incoming. What goes around comes around. My AK friends have been tormenting me with pics of their early season powder fests. Alyeska has recieved 113" so far.

Scott, here's an example of the torment. Early Nov, Alaska style.

Oh man... what I would give to slay that line, arcing powder turn after powder turn...picking up speed quickly as snow billows up into the chest with every turn.

Soon enough. I still forget that I skied 2 feet of powder in mid-October up here. Its been so long that I've almost forgot we've already had some pretty great days.

Oh man... what I would give to slay that line, arcing powder turn after powder turn...picking up speed quickly as snow billows up into the chest with every turn.

Soon enough. I still forget that I skied 2 feet of powder in mid-October up here. Its been so long that I've almost forgot we've already had some pretty great days.

That's actually a really mellow line below the upper warming hut. Here's a pic of the view as you approach the lip. That's Turnagain Sound in the distant valley with the Kenai Peninsula on it's left flank. The real adrenaline squeeze stuff is that knob on the left, "The Shadows". Some of the steepest 'inbounds' skiing I've done. Just awesome.

That's actually a really mellow line below the upper warming hut. Here's a pic of the view as you approach the lip. That's Turnagain Sound in the distant valley with the Kenai Peninsula on it's left flank. The real adrenaline squeeze stuff is that knob on the left, "The Shadows". Some of the steepest 'inbounds' skiing I've done. Just awesome.

Nice. I've always wanted to visit Alyeska. There's something very appealing about 700 inches of snow per year, haha. I've heard that new owner has done great things with regards to terrain openings... it just seems like a sick, hardcore spot.

Nice. I've always wanted to visit Alyeska. There's something very appealing about 700 inches of snow per year, haha. I've heard that new owner has done great things with regards to terrain openings... it just seems like a sick, hardcore spot.

The new guy is a TRIP! Major party wherever he goes, quite beloved.

wednesday's cold just got colder on the 0z nam

sub 528 heights by 12z north of pike...........and sub 528 heights over E and SE mass/ CC by mid aftrnoon and windy ....just a cold winter type day setting up for us wednesday with coldest height anomaly's over cape cod per last several runs.

hopefully wa wa will be cranking the guns wed morn....but i don't think it will get cool enough....possibly.

Archived