• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The car washing thread

Damage In Tolland

GFS is bringing 1993-94/1995-96 combo to us. End to end cold. A winter for the ages. 3 wise men in the summer told you so.

Back in Dec you all but retracted your epic winter forecast. Also, the way the winter has transpired has been very much against any seasonal forecast I've seen....sorry!

My truck is dirty, no doubt...but around here, there's no sense getting too anal about it as the hundreds of miles of dirt roads are pretty much snow covered all winter long. I'll take the ol' rig down to the car wash in Bradford, VT once every couple weeks and give it a quick spray (no soap, no wax--they just f*ck things up) to get the nasty salt off, spray the frame & front-end parts off to keep corrosion to a minimum.

As far as temps go, I don't even worry about that at all. I've sprayed down rigs when it was in the single digits out and I actually find that helps--it encases the truck in a layer of ice that keeps the salt off till the ice melts/sublimates. :whistle:

My truck is dirty, no doubt...but around here, there's no sense getting too anal about it as the hundreds of miles of dirt roads are pretty much snow covered all winter long. I'll take the ol' rig down to the car wash in Bradford, VT once every couple weeks and give it a quick spray (no soap, no wax--they just f*ck things up) to get the nasty salt off, spray the frame & front-end parts off to keep corrosion to a minimum.

As far as temps go, I don't even worry about that at all. I've sprayed down rigs when it was in the single digits out and I actually find that helps--it encases the truck in a layer of ice that keeps the salt off till the ice melts/sublimates. :whistle:

Same method here though I've have had the doors freeze shut once or twice.

[/b]Same method here though I've have had the doors freeze shut once or twice.

Yeah, true enough--and my "new" truck ('99 F250) has power windows (first rig that I've ever had with that modern feature) and they'll freeze shut unless I take the proper precautions. Man do I hate not being able to crack open my window! A fellow needs his fresh air. ;)

Yeah, true enough--and my "new" truck ('99 F250) has power windows (first rig that I've ever had with that modern feature) and they'll freeze shut unless I take the proper precautions. Man do I hate not being able to crack open my window! A fellow needs his fresh air. ;)

Haha, fresh air is good. I'm taking my wife's car today to run some errands and, in honor of Kevin, I'll wash the salt of even though by the time I get home it'll be skunked again.

I got frozen into my car in January '85 when I washed my car in VT. It was about -10 and both doors/windows and the tailgate were frozen shut. Thank goodness that car had an internal hatch release so I could crawl into the back and push the hatch open from the inside. The doors stayed frozen for almost a week :thumbsdown: Good thing I was 18 and flexible :yikes:

No sliding rear window in the 99?

I'm laughing ery hard at this thread and it's title.

No washing for me. Maybe the freezing rain will do it when it thaws.

Mostly cloudy and flurries.

24.2/15

I've never bothered to wash a vehicle in winter. I don't see the point - the roads are like the pic Pete put up. A couple miles down the road and your vehicle is back to a dirty salty mess. Waste of time and money, imo.

I just spent five bucks at the car wash and drove away with a completely filthy car. Wifey found some deep snow somewhere and packed the rims with snow and ice (subarua impreza). Got going about 45mph and I thought the steering wheel was going to bounce off the column, front end of the car visibly shaking. I asked her if she noticed anything the last time drove it...nah, nothing. :arrowhead:

Archived