• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
On this day

BullCityWx

It only whitened the ground briefly at my place but it was still amazing to see snow like that in November. I remember the flakes being huge. They were calling for rain and I saw on observation of snow in Anniston, Al. About 30 minutes later it changed over for about an hour and then went back to rain.

I may have my history mixed up but wasn't the rest of the winter a non event as far as snow and ice goes?

I recal that winter turning out pretty good but I could have my years mixed up as well. I def. remember that snow... couldn't believe we were getting in on some action prior to Thanksgiving.

I remember that snowfall. We had just come back from West Virginia and were pretty shocked to see snow on the ground! The snow tapered off shortly after we got home. I remember that the Bradford Pear in our front yard still had its leaves on, so despite the ~2" of snow that blanketed most of the yard, the area under the tree was nothing but green grass!

I wonder if Georgia has any historic maps like NC always has to show past storms?

FFC seems to have only recently started making those kinds of maps (or maybe they just don't archive them?). Yeah we tend to get less snow, but the N GA mountains will have 3-4 accumulating events per winter usually.

I may have my history mixed up but wasn't the rest of the winter a non event as far as snow and ice goes?

I have a newspaper cut-out from that Winter and have written on it, "about the only snow of the season" so i think that year the November snow was the bulk of it. I remember that snowfall, it snowed pretty heavily the first half of the day, and melted from underneath.By late afternoon was all gone. A nice surprise. I built a snowman and sledded down my parents hill all afternoon.

post-38-0-32854300-1290216484.jpg

Was that a La Nina winter? If so, how strong of a La Nina?

I remember that day. My wife was working the Southern Christmas show. I remember picking her up and most of it had already melted. It was on a Sunday I believe...

We did not get anything else that winter, except for maybe an ice storm? We need our expert historian analyst Eric to chime in. Ha.

Still remember this day well... I remember it being around 38 degrees and rainy that night, but knowing that it was November, I didn't have any high hopes. Boy was I surprised to see the rain start changing over to snow as the temperature dropped to 33-34 degrees. It was snowing really hard for a good 1-2 hours, giving us a 1.5 inches of snow in Greenville, SC despite it being mid-late morning with above freezing temperatures. The 2000-2001 season was a case of two winters, where November and December was quite snowy and cold for the SE, but like a light switch, January and February were rather benign and warm.

Archived