Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's something to be said for the sampling of that Pac. feature. It's really jumped around a good bit on the past several model runs (on all guidance). It has a very important interaction even with the initial shortwave that comes out of the southern stream and ejects across the southeast coast. This feature, on today's 18z GFS, gets sheared out by the positioning of the PV and the delayed entrance of the Pac shortwave. That being said, there's plenty of room for things to change here. Seeing the mean trough advertised as is, is a pretty impressive signal for this range.

For a good idea how precarious the setup is, here are the top analogues from CIPS off ot the 01/06/11 12z GFS

http://www.eas.slu.e...fhr=120&flg=new

The first three dates are complete duds for this area. Near hits that looked great ahead of time and never produced.

The fourth and fifth dates need no introduction.

It only takes a tweak here or there at 500mb to be feast or famine with this storm, so no one should get too high or low right now.

Okay whats that like the 5th run of the nogaps run in a row showing a very amplified solution? That is definitely a red flag of some sort imo.

This is what HM from this forum had to say on the main forum a couple days ago. To my knowledge he has not posted since...

2. The Jan 11-12 storm has plenty of room to amplify; and while there is a 50-50 low feature, it seems to be moving out to allow this thing to amplify solidly. Also the mean confluence behind the departing 50-50 low weakens with no major CAD signature. This storm, if it wants to, could amplify to the point where a lot of people in the coastal plain change over. Watch for the inevitable H8-7 warming with a setup like this that brings the joyful sounds of sleet to many snow enthusiasts. That being said, there is certainly potential for this to be a solid winter storm for many.

For those of you who live and die by the nogaps, its a major hit for the nyc area on its 18z run.

It is west of its 12z solution.

Take it for what it is worth to you.

Well it's the NOGAPS, so I won't thnk too much of it. But I will say that usually this model has a very progressive SE biased. So the fact that it I so far west is noteworthy I suppose.

Barring unforeseen entities, both players are going to be in good raob range much sooner than the diving short wave with the Boxing Day Blizzard, we might start seeing some modeling stability as soon as the 12z run on Saturday.

Yeah, as it stands now we aren't in a very good sampling area, but this storm shouldn't have wild and dramatic swings like the blizzard a few weeks ago. There's always room for trending obviously, but I agree with 12z Saturday idea.

I think this setup is convoluted but it definitely has some potential. I'm impressed with the modeling of the northern stream feature or PAC feature coming in to the west coast and eventually into the Plains. All of the globals are suppressed, but that feature has trended a good bit stronger and faster. They aren't far off from showing something along the lines of the 18z GEFS mean.

We will see where the next few guidance suites take us.

I think the changeover scenario is definitely still on the table here. It's all about the timing of the interaction with the southern jet and the phase. There is confluence up north in Canada and ridging over central Canada, but it's generally moving out when the storm arrives. There's really not a tremendous amount to keep the storm south and east if it phases properly and early enough, and it will try to cut if there's not enough of a block to prevent it from doing so. That's what the previous DGEX and Nogaps runs referred to. Maybe there could even be the one low west of the Apps and one low on the coast. The fact that the ensembles have generally been west of the operationals is another red flag to me that it might not be as easy as it seems for this to escape east. Obviously if there is no phase or the system shears out it will, but it won't take a lot to push this north at all. It actually seems easier this time than the 12/26 blizzard.

If I had a gun to my head I'd give about a 25% chance of coming inland enough to change the coast over, 40% of a hit for the entire area, and 35% of a miss to the east.

Archived