Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at that map, it's gonna take an awful lot to get that northern stream s/w to phase in to the southern stream. Heights low across the EC don't show that doing a whole lot, unless it tries to pop it Miller B style with that northern stream feature.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't everything slow down a bit if the northern stream s/w and the southern stream started to phase earlier, allowing more time for the heights to rise along the EC? The 18z has a stronger s/w that seems to interact more with the southern stream than does the 12z.

nam 18z at 78

nam_slp_078m.gif

nam 12z at 84

nam_slp_084m.gif

Its only a snowstorm because accuweather says it is a snowstorm. Remember, any thing over an inch on the road is a storm event in philly. Did they brine the roads today? if not then this is a snowstorm.

They brined a number of the roads last night and today.

For those interested...JB is all over this one as he is believes this will come up the coast for a big hit "heavy snows" on tues/wed in I95 corridor...is mentioning a weakening and then catch up feature similar to Feb 1983. Says you should expect models to keep this well south and east as they always do in the days leading to the biggest east coast storms

250mb jet stream at 84 hrs has a great look to it. 120kt 250mb jet streak diving southeast towards TX.

I prefer to compare the 18z GFS with 6z GFS. If you take a look at 500mb, you see that the PV is much more consolidated and further north than at 6z at hour 78. The s/w down south is digging less, but is much more robust allowing for more ridging out ahead of the energy.

At hour 96 there's a lobe of vorticity that is creating confluence and pushing down the ridging along the east coast. The models are loving suppression this year.

I have a question for any meteorologist or someone who has a good grasp on the features of this storm:

What are the factors that are in play for this storm that are not sampled well yet, or in another manner what do we need to watch for shifts that may have changes in the placement of the storm?

Are we looking at a s/w coming off the west coast and a PV in the Northwest that need to interact, or it is a PV over Maine, like 2009?

I have a question for any meteorologist or someone who has a good grasp on the features of this storm:

What are the factors that are in play for this storm that are not sampled well yet, or in another manner what do we need to watch for shifts that may have changes in the placement of the storm?

Are we looking at a s/w coming off the west coast and a PV in the Northwest that need to interact, or it is a PV over Maine, like 2009?

The northern stream features are not sampled well at all including the feature coming into the Pac and eventually towards our area which is very important. Those shortwaves are in east bumblef**k when it comes to data sampling--it's a crap shoot at this range. So we have to recognize the potential setup aloft and say "hey, that looks decent at this range."

That's all we can really do.

My mistake, apologies to HM. I do however respect Henry M skills though.

It's cool. I just want to make it clear. If you polled the board as a whole, I would guess there are two very different opinions of them, so I want to make sure we keep them identified differently.

Archived