Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part Deux

NickD2011

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing big on the euro..Maybe about 1-2" area wide, nothing like the gfs which gives nyc 6"

now we wait for storm #2 which is trying to close off over TX, but the PV is sitting on the northeast

sounds like a bit more than 1-2 area wide. I think from NYC north this could be a nice 3-6 type storm with someone getting 8

Actually it looks like exactly .5" liquid

Although these setups are very vulnerable to minor shifts, all of the guidance appears to give NYC around 4"+ of snow. While I don't think it would be wise to go for more than an inch at this point, the potential for a moderate to significant event for NYC is increasing. Unfortunately I'll be in Chicago. :(

It seemingly is but my feeling is some of this is being generated due to strong PVA from the 500 low, especially the snow further inland.

Definitely agreed there. The GFS and NAM both showed strong PVA. I think this is why the precip field is more broad and not as narrow as inverted troughs usually are.

Definitely agreed there. The GFS and NAM both showed strong PVA. I think this is why the precip field is more broad and not as narrow as inverted troughs usually are.

An inverted trough may form somewhere and where it does someone will get hit harder but I'm liking my forecast from 2 days ago that the upper low was going to drop snow over portions of the area on its own, maybe as much as 4 inches or so in some spots.

No, right...NYC on east gets the most, all of eastern PA and NJ gets 1-3" i was talking in general

It's definitely not a big event, but .5" liquid is not a 1-2" snowstorm...it's probably more like a 2-5" storm verbatim. I Away from the tropical subclimate that is EWR, LGA, and NYC official reporting stations, of course.

Well I think somebody could pick up over 8" with this. It will be very localized but like others have said, think of the Norlun as a lake effect snow band.

Where the heaviest stuff sets up is completely up in the air and we won't know until the event is imminent (12-24 hours). As of right now I'm going to go with 2-4" for central nj, around 4-5 for NNJ, around 3-4 for NYC. I think it sounds reasonable, but there are things like ratios to consider. A .5" of liquid may not sound much but if you get 15:1 ratios, that's an easy 7-8".

Archived