• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
This blizzard didn't make it in the top 5 for NYC

MJO812

I think the total of 26.7" is legit, but I don't buy it being NYC's top snowstorm. The Blizzard of 1888 21" total is absolute crap, and pictures of the city after that storm look worse than it does around my area after a 25" event. I have no doubt 1888 produced 30"+ widespread in the NYC metro area, actual accounts, pictures, and storm synoptics/progression support it,

Secondly, the Feb 2006 storm was about as low impact as you can get b/c temps rapidly warmed after the event, to 50F within two days.

Their total for this blizzard is probably close to correct, as the heaviest band set-up just west of NYC down to Monmouth, and that's reflected in the 24" total in Newark, 25-30" in NE NJ, etc.

Also we've got to keep in mind measuring methods. Nowadays w/ the NWS using the clearing the board method rather than recording at the end of the event, snow totals are a bit higher most likely. If the clearing method was used back in 1888 it'd probably be a 40"+ storm.

Thirdly, temperatures during this storm were very cold compared to many 27-32F events where salt and plows are more effective. In addition, the strong winds render salt completely useless (and plowing).

At least here, this is a much higher impact storm than any event last winter, even 12/19 and 2/25. The snow on 2/25 was significantly less because the first half was rain, and the wind on 12/19 wasn't as significant. The drifting caused enormous problems here, and made it take forever for roads to be effectively cleared. My street is still a mess 48 hours after the peak of the storm. I can't even remember this happening after PDII, and we likely exceeded 24" then.

Not surprising, since Central Park barely reported 20". However, from what I've heard, the impact rivals January 96, not just with the winds but the way that NYC metro got completely crippled, with images that remind me of Feb 1978.

I'm sure this storm was a much bigger deal than Feb 2006, which probably had the impact of a MECS, even though Central Park supposedly got more snow from that storm than March 1888 :arrowhead:

Archived