Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 mid/ long range

12 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

thats crazy,even the GFS now,this was suppose to be into the OV

Yeah, it snuck-up on me for sure.  I was just looking at the GFS trends, and it has moved SE for several runs.  When I say "on time," the 14th was the original pattern change date.  Crazy that west TN(maybe portions of middle) might be backing into a storm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, it snuck-up on me for sure.  I was just looking at the GFS trends, and it has moved SE for several runs.  When I say "on time," the 14th was the original pattern change date.  Crazy that west TN(maybe portion of middle) might be backing into a storm.

Its insane Carver if this were to happen..lol

• Like 3

We just need the Pacific not to have massive jet extensions....that has been a problem for several winters.  I have my theories on why this is occurring(one of you knows my thoughts), but I do wonder.  

Your theories are usually at least in the ballpark

• Like 1

No worries [mention=3027]jaxjagman[/mention] or [mention=13698]Daniel Boone[/mention] I was trying to ride a line between serious and funny. 

I thought it was hilarious. (Was actually waiting on a political joke to follow )

• Like 2

Middle TN just got NAM'd. The crazy trends continue. Gotta think there will be some northerly corrections and amounts potentially lower due to wet ratios. Timing will be key should this system speed up. Right now, it sure looks like this will be a nocturnal event. 

• Like 2

This is what KY said this afternoon

.LONG TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
Issued at 345 PM EST Sun Feb 11 2024

Monday Night through Wednesday Night...

The forecast for Monday night is quite complex and contains a
substantial amount of uncertainty.  An area of surface low pressure
is forecast to move east-northeast across northern TN and into
southeast KY and into West Virgina during evening and into the
overnight hours.  On the north side of this low pressure system,
widespread rain showers with embedded thunderstorms are expected to
be moving across Kentucky and portions of southern Indiana.  As the
low slides into southeast KY, colder air will quickly wrap into the
backside of the system resulting in the rain quickly changing over
to wet snow.  Much of the current guidance shows a heavy band of wet
snow transversing the region Monday evening within a strongly forced
deformation band.  Earlier runs from the overnight period suggested
that this heavier band would transverse southern IL/IN/OH.  However,
there has been a notable southward trend in this band in the morning
and afternoon guidance.  As of this writing, the highest threat of
accumulating snows continues to be over portions of southern Indiana
and the northern half of Kentucky.

Initially, surface and ground temperatures are expected to be well
above freezing early Monday evening.  However, as the transition to
snow happens (which may be quite fast), the rate of snowfall will
likely overwhelm the warm ground/surface temperatures.  Still, we`ll
loose some of the early accumulation due to the warm ground and
above freezing surface temps, but air temps are likely to fall
pretty quickly as we transition over to snow.  The snow is likely to
be the heaviest from late Monday evening into the early hours of
Tuesday morning.  Given the amount of forcing and lift across the
region Monday evening, the snow could come down quite impressively
in some spots given the convective signals that we`re seeing in the
high resolution models.  It is possible that intense snow may fall
in areas where rates could reach 1-2"/hr perhaps higher in isolated
spots.

Given the uncertainty in the overall setup, the marginal
temperatures, and continued shifting of model guidance, messaging
this system remains a bit problematic.  Uncertainty in snowfall
amounts and location remains too high to delineate any one area for a
Winter Storm Watch.  To alert the public of the adverse weather that
is expected to impact the region, surrounding WFO`s collaborated and
decided to go with a higher impact Winter Weather Advisory with this
forecast issuance to get the word out.  Snowfall amounts of 1-3
inches with localized amounts up to 4 inches are likely within the
advisory area. Depending on forecast trends, this advisory will
likely undergo further refinement over the next 24 hours.  If
confidence increases on where higher snows may end up falling, an
upgrade to a Winter Storm Warning for portions of the area may be
required in subsequent forecasts.  Persons in southern Indiana and
central Kentucky should continue to closely monitor forecasts
tonight and on Monday and be prepared for hazardous road conditions
Monday evening and Tuesday morning.
  • Like 1

Choose your own adventure book on CPC MJO plots this morning.  The GEFS now takes a full rotation through the cold phases.  The Euro does not.  I like the 6z GEFS....it has a cold front on the 14th, 17th, and 25th.  They don't have a lot of staying power, but that fits the wild MJO look.  That MJO look should support a very transient pattern.  I would lean base warm, simply because the warm days will likely be warmer against the norms than the cold days.  As noted earlier, to score at this point we are looking for a well placed storm which would be timed to hit one of those cold shots.  It would not surprise me to see snow showers next weekend.   The storm for the 17-18th is not there.  I am 50/50 on whether it returns.  It is kind of in that window where storms are often lost.  

As for the 14th system, American modeling still has a pretty good thump for west TN as well portions of middle.  The 3k NAM and 12k NAM both have rates driven snow which is crazy hard to predict.  It would not surprise me to see some decent lollipops along the TN/KY border (middle and west). if American modeling is correct.  As the 12z rolls in there are some pretty big differences between the 3k and 12k NAM.  I am guessing modeling is struggling w/ rates driven stuff.  It looks like the NAM favors a changeover in middle(and that is also nighttime which makes sense).  The 12z changes over earlier in west TN.  Whoever gets this system at night has the advantage.  The Plateau may score some accumulation if the 3k is correct

Oddly, the 14th has been the day that we have looked at for a pattern change.  To be clear, I don't think the new pattern is going to be all that great for snowfall in the valleys, but this would be a decent score for LR ext modeling.  Of note, snowfall in forecasting is incredibly difficult to predict at range.  Even when I do my "just for fun" seasonal modeling, I make a guess at snowfall...but it is like throwing darts while blindfolded.  So beware, it can snow during a warm pattern.  

Here are the 12z outputs from meso scale modeling for the upcoming 14ths system.  Nighttime is best option.  I would not be surprised to see some folks in the forum area score if they catch this at night.   This is probably a tougher sell for E TN unless you live near a break in the Plateau where moisture can slip through.  Middle and west TN folks have a potentially minor or lollipop event to track.  The ARW is not out yet, and it was bullish at 0z.  I will add it here once it is completed.

That map Tellico had this winter was really good about "flyways" for moisture entering the eastern valley.  I was reading about a similar set-up around the Grand Tetons.  I have always wondered why Jackson, WY, got so much less than Moran and Alpine.  Those last two areas live near breaks in that mountain range.  

Screen_Shot_2024-02-12_at_9.09.43_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-02-12_at_9.08.52_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-02-12_at_9.08.14_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-02-12_at_9.09.03_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2024-02-12_at_9.25.57_AM.png

• Like 1

I know Cosgrove has mentioned that analogs point towards a warm spring w/ El Nino collapsing.  This is also the time of year (shoulder season) where LR modeling will sometimes struggle mightily.  All of that said, spring is not looking warm on LR ext or seasonal modeling.  However, summer is looking very warm - meaning above normal.  Given the performance of recent LR modeling and analog packages, I would say pretty everything is on the table for spring.  I do think mid-late summer and most of fall will be hot/dry, maybe brutally hot if Nina kicks in.

• Like 1

Holston……sorry for delayed reply, but the metal snowman has been put up for the season. Major renovations started on the house last week, so we packed up and moved into an AirBNB for two months. Wife didn’t want it getting damaged. I told her that it was required to stay up until mid-March (per forum request)……..but I got “that look” and an eye roll!! Such blasphemy from that woman!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

One thing which keeps my attention(rightly or wrongly), the warm-up from Jan 21 to now was originally forecast to be just a 3-4 day warm-up. It missed the MJO rotation into the warm phases, and the supposed hiccup of a warm spell lasted for weeks.  There is part of me that wonders if that is happening right now, except the cold pattern continues longer than forecast.  Modeling has been guilty all season of perpetuating a pattern and missing the turn.  Now, I think there is good evidence that the warm MJO wins, but I don't think it is a slam dunk.  MjO plots this morning tended to go COD in the colder phases, and that is something to watch in terms of trends.   Now, I think warm-ups are inevitable...spring is going to fight this.  But when I look at the 12z CMC driving single digits and low teens into the region, I do wonder if modeling is under estimating the embedded cold shots.....

• Like 4

When the Canadian starts to produce real feel temps like this, it is probably at least worth passing attention.   There is probably some bias in play here, but the Canadian can sometimes spot colder air masses before the GFS.  If this is legit, it could snow deep into South Carolina and even the Panhandle.  I don't think it does, but this solution would allow for it.

Screen_Shot_2024-02-12_at_11.22.30_AM.pn

• Like 3

The cold front is right on time.  What is crazy is that this was a cold/snow time frame for weeks, and frozen precip was lost about ten days ago(roughly IDK).  Now, it is back.  Feb 13-14 has been the pattern switch for a while.  Hopefully, some folks will get a quick thump.

The 12z GFS on cue has now three fairly strong cold fronts throughout its run.  It is anything but wall-to-wall warm.  I'll have to look but 10+ days of that might be BN.  

• Like 4

12z Euro drops some more snow with a front on Feb 17. 

I’m getting interested in the 17th. I believe at one time the mods were showing a Miller A or some feature that enhanced on the lee side(I didn’t pay much attention to it). Mods have brought the temps down about 10 degrees since yesterday. I’m hoping in the next couple of days mods pick up on a wave or something anafrontal.

• Like 2

We got a wooly worm substitute and an elk substitute(very cool BTW).  We have winter wx advisories up for norther middle and west TN , and are tracking a slider on the 17th on the Euro.  And the GFS is cold.... 

Honestly, this is what the Weeklies were advertising for weeks before losing them.  This is probably a "light" version, but interesting to see it work out.  

• Like 5

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic