Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium-Long Range Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

This reminds me of the Christmas storm from a few years ago(Jan 16h).  If we can catch a wave (without a warm nose), we could be in business.  We will see.  Still in the game, so that is good.

Right now I see this being a mixed bag for much of the forum area.  Hopefully not all out ice storm. As usual I40 is the battle zone.  I do believe the colder air will be further south.  Models struggle with it as we all know.  Fun to be able to track & chat about. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

Right now I see this being a mixed bag for much of the forum area.  Hopefully not all out ice storm. As usual I40 is the battle zone.  I do believe the colder air will be further south.  Models struggle with it as we all know.  Fun to be able to track & chat about. 

Tough to tell.  The 12z cmc is a big nada. The 12z GFS is basically one big cold front crashing eastward.  Really the only difference between the two is the GFS has what is called an anafront - and I am still not sure that I am using the right term there.  Basically the cold air just plows under the warm air and forces the warm/moist air to rise.  Rising air produces precip.  The big thing is the precip is behind the from on the GFS and in front of it on the CMC.  The GFS solution makes good sense since the air behind it is so cold.  And....the cold will be coming across new snow in the MidWest. 

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Tough to tell.  The 12z cmc is a big nada. The 12z GFS is basically one big cold front crashing eastward.  Really the only difference between the two is the GFS has what is called an anafront - and I am still not sure that I am using the right term there.  Basically the cold air just plows under the warm air and forces the warm/moist air to rise.  Rising air produces precip.  The big thing is the precip is behind the from on the GFS and in front of it on the CMC.  The GFS solution makes good sense since the air behind it is so cold.  And....the cold will be coming across new snow in the MidWest. 

You are correct in calling it an anafront.  We have had a few of those in the past.  Rare but happens occasionally. 

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The CMC is it really ever right?  Seems it’s the Hail Mary of models to me.  Lol.  Kinda like the Icon.  Would be funny to see the DGEX clown maps these days.  Those were always hilarious to see. 

1 minute ago, Matthew70 said:

The CMC is it really ever right?  Seems it’s the Hail Mary of models to me.  Lol.  Kinda like the Icon.  Would be funny to see the DGEX clown maps these days.  Those were always hilarious to see. 

Yes, especially with these setups where it is cold.  I don't think its physics are quite as good for storm details. Now, its short range model (RGEM) is money.  It is better for getting long wave patterns correct IMHO.  We used to call it the Crazy Uncle.  It is the only model which correctly caught the cold - but it is always cold, so it maybe it is a blind chicken.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

That is awfully close to a '96 redux if I have the storm correct.  Take a minute and look in the Lakes...there is the problem.

We get about another 150 mile push south with the colder air.  ALL of TN will be in a sweet spot.  One can hope for ALL of us. 

Just now, Matthew70 said:

We get about another 150 mile push south with the colder air.  ALL of TN will be in a sweet spot.  One can hope for ALL of us. 

Again, a long way to go, but that run will work for most of the forum area.  What comes behind it is potentially even better.  The GFS broke the pattern down quickly at 6z, so this is a nice bonus if real.  That nice, bowl shaped trough that follows is generally money.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yeah, the Christmas 2020 one. 

I don't remember cold fronts being this strong during El Nino winters...maybe 09-10?  That is almost a La Nina set-up.  How close is the GFS to a '96 look?  Does it need to be flatter further east or just a bigger wave on the front and slower?

• Like 1

I lived in Memphis in 96 and remember it quite well. Originally Memphis was supposed to get more than Nashville and Knoxville, but the storm ended up being further south and east than originally thought. Now, Memphis picked up some snow but it was only about 1-3 in depending on where you were. There was a sharp gradient across the river in AR where there was nothing. I remember thinking “I sure do wish I lived in East TN” haha! Little did I know that I would someday 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

That was a big change by the GFS, going from a true Miller A to a frontal passage with a wave. Curious to see if the ensembles also abandon the miller A.

Wasn't it showing a stalled out front with waves riding 3-4 days ago, is this a return?  

If posting the full, 8-day ensemble, it is important to remember that some snow falls this weekend, and there is a little system in between this weekend and Tuesday that modeling is finding.  The ICON has it.  The 96 hour GEFS map is a BIG uptick from the previous five runs for just that Tuesday storm.  Probably as 2.5-4" for most of the forum.  Not bad at this range, and lots of big hitters on the individual maps.

• Like 5

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic