• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

honestly, not a bad position heading into tonight. I dont think anyone is getting 4" out of this, but the HRRR has been trending a little north and west. Also the SREFS have PIT at 2". I think we could see a situation where some in the northwest part of the area are around 1" and some in the southeast are 3"

I'm a little surprised at how dry so many of the mesoscale models are, basically amounting to a disorganized, strung-out mess of a system that barely qualifies as a s/w.  I guess the old adage that "too cold to snow" remains true.  Couldn't quite get the timing right.  As others have said, though, snow growth will determine our final outcome.  It should have the appropriate fluff factor, just looks like dry air and the energy separation is our problem.

7 minutes ago, TimB said:

I would think we can be upset with 1-2” if Friday also busts.

With yesterday’s snow, PIT is at 5.9” for the season. I personally would say a season total of 10.0” at the end of January is the bare minimum dividing line between being kinda bummed and complete despair. That requires us to get 4.1” before the thaw.

Yeah that's the concern.  To be honest, my ceiling on this winter was 30" given historical analogs and similarities, but to find a relatively strong snowfall producing pattern and not manage something even moderately sized would be underwhelming, to say the least.  January is usually our best month, too.  We may be relying on February to get anywhere close to even low-end historical predicates.

12 minutes ago, meatwad said:

gfs gives us 2 to 4"

TIiQUoe.png

It's maddening how Allegheny is always on the fringe, just to far North for those Southern systems, but not far enough north for good LES or fighting the warm tongue. Pivot that qpf another 25-50 miles and we could score a solid 4 inches. It's always a game of inches with storms I know, but always seems that is were the cutoff sets up one way or the other.

Kuchera maps are probably better bet given we should be at 15:1 - 20:1 ratios vs those generic 10:1 maps.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

I just hope we break 2 inches so Climate chaser can stop posting those depressing charts. 

That’s going to be a tall order, considering PIT is west so more likely to get fringed.

46 minutes ago, TimB said:

I think what we need is for trends to move towards a 2-3” event that impacts the morning rush, an advisory gets issued, and then @KPITSnowmeasures like 1.2” in his backyard.

I’m just going to have to block All of you since all you do is be ********s to me. 

• Sad 1

Just now, KPITSnow said:

I’m just going to have to block All of you since all you do is be ********s to me. 

That was meant all in good fun. It’s MLK day, so I was thinking of the great MLK Day bust of 2022.

12 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Except you know fkr the last week when this was supposed to be our window for a big storm.

The pattern materialized. Just unlucky the storm didn't materialize the same way. Still a chance this weekend. Winter isn't over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

The pattern materialized. Just unlucky the storm didn't materialize the same way. Still a chance this weekend. Winter isn't over.

I agree. Pretty much all guidance gets us to this look by the end of Jan, decent +pna / -epo for cold delivery then hints blocking reloads through Feb. No reason to shut the blinds. 

eps_z500a_nhem_61.thumb.png.d9174d63287eaaa0a5c32a52c2058a48.png

Plus we have at least 2 snow events. Not every good pattern delivers a big storm.