Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I had my first sub-freezing night in nearly 2 weeks this morning. Several more incoming this week.

Flip side...normal high for today in Lanco is 39. It's currently 48, which I would consider a well AN departure.i

If we had a gyre approaching from the South, up the coast, our temps this week would support a snow storm but yea highs the last two days have been quite mild.  Maybe a little lower a few days during the work week.  Not going to say we are near being below normal next week as to mdt temps but pleasantly surprised they made 26 this am.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

If we had a gyre approaching from the South, up the coast, our temps this week would support a snow storm but yea highs the last two days have been quite mild.  Maybe a little lower a few days during the work week.  Not going to say we are near being below normal next week as to mdt temps but pleasantly surprised they made 26 this am.  

One thing that is becoming more and more evident with each passing day - big discrepancy in how it feels in the sun vs. shade. I was just out in the sun and it's genuinely warm. Very chilly in the shade.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

12z Euro is nice on the 1 day of the winter I don't want it. But everyone else enjoy for 12 hrs.

The Euro has a Nice front end thump of snow on the 12th. Then it changes to a mix & rain for the southern tier.

The low transfers a bit late for us this run to keep us all frozen, but we have a long way to go.
I would take this to start off the new pattern.

IMG_4881.png

IMG_4885.png

IMG_4887.png

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The Euro has a Nice front end thump of snow on the 12th. Then it changes to a mix & rain for the southern tier.

The low transfers a bit late for us this run to keep us all frozen, but we have a long way to go.
I would take this to start off the new pattern.

IMG_4881.png

IMG_4885.png

IMG_4887.png

Here is the 12z Euro snow map for this run for this potential event on the 12th.

IMG_4884.png

Can't post MU's latest discussion, but he does expect one last opportunity for a snowstorm between 2/20 and 3/5, followed by an abrupt flip to spring. He said spring will arrive a couple of weeks early this year.

These were his thoughts posted last night. 

If someone can post his discussion, thanks!

Good signal on the 12z EPS for the 12th to 14th potential.

The precip panels seem to indicate a flatter potential, but the mean low positions have the same general idea with a western track low transferring to the coast.

Long way to go, but we might finally have something specific to track.

IMG_4891.png

IMG_4892.png

IMG_4893.png

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Good signal on the 12z EPS for the 12th to 14th potential.

The precip panels seem to indicate a flatter potential, but the mean low positions have the same general idea with a western track low transferring to the coast.

Long way to go, but we might finally have something specific to track.

IMG_4891.png

IMG_4892.png

IMG_4893.png

Here is the 12z EPS snow just for this 12th to 14th period.

IMG_4895.png

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Here you go 

IMG_4896.png

Looking at the Eps more closely, there must be 2 camps wrt the storm threat because there are 2 slugs of moisture with a lull of 12-18hrs in between. That 72 hour period picks up both. Since there's only 1 storm, I think that makes the snowfall maps overstated/too high.

I say this after letting the 6hr precip maps loop. There's a precip peak around 198hrs then another around 222hrs. 

By the way, even though it may seem like it, I'm not trying to poo-poo every threat. I am, however, trying to figure out exactly what the models are really telling us because so many times model misinterpretations are honestly made that leed to erroneous expectations. I know because I've made many.

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Looking at the Eps more closely, there must be 2 camps wrt the storm threat because there are 2 slugs of moisture with a lull of 12-18hrs in between. That 72 hour period picks up both. Since there's only 1 storm, I think that makes the snowfall maps overstated/too high.

I say this after letting the 6hr precip maps loop. There's a precip peak around 198hrs then another around 222hrs. 

By the way, even though it may seem like it, I'm not trying to poo-poo every threat. I am, however, trying to figure out exactly what the models are really telling us because so many times model misinterpretations are honestly made that leed to erroneous expectations. I know because I've made many.

Either way, whether there are 1 or 2 waves in this period, it is the beginning of the new pattern & certainly 1000000% better than what we are dealing with during this current week.

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Two areas of low pressure as we get into V-Day Eve.  Still questionable air over PA.  Every run of the GFS is like a totally new movie right now. 

image.thumb.png.2e3a0e2848605107ab3418e17488a777.png

Yes, huge change on the GFS.

12z had a low over Cleveland & the 18z has a low over New Orleans at the exact same time.

IMG_4899.png

IMG_4900.png

• Like 1

I swear. I  look at the operational Gfs with its exotic solutions that always find a way to either deny us snow or greatly underperform and just feel like throwing in the towel and accepting that this winter is simply a smaller turd to last year's diarrhea, call it another fail, and just walk away.

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

I swear. I  look at the operational Gfs with its exotic solutions that always find a way to either deny us snow or greatly underperform and just feel like throwing in the towel and accepting that this winter is simply a smaller turd to last year's diarrhea, call it another fail, and just walk away.

Lol, just look at the changes that I just posted above with the changes at day 8 just from 12z to 18z….

I think this upcoming blocking is frying the GFS circuits!

On top of the snow debacle, the Gfs ends with the attached 5H pattern. Nah, that would never happen, would it? Or should I  ask whether our current pig Canadian block that has screwed us for weeks would ever happen again?

See where I'm going with this folks? Where are all these great patterns advertised on the ensembles and long range? They shouid be showing up on the Gfs operational on at least 1 or 2 out of the 4 daily runs by now imho. Instead, we're getting the same vomit we have now.

500h_anom.conus (28).png