Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Fall 2023 Discussion

Ahoff

25 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Today's 26 was 1 degree from the record low of 25 in 1905.

Fairly soft daily record considering there are quite a few late October days with records in the teens to low 20s, I thought we had a shot at it. Still have yet to set a daily record low in 2023. Last daily record low was set in the middle of the afternoon on 12/23/22.

57 minutes ago, TimB said:

Fairly soft daily record considering there are quite a few late October days with records in the teens to low 20s, I thought we had a shot at it. Still have yet to set a daily record low in 2023. Last daily record low was set in the middle of the afternoon on 12/23/22.

It does seem soft, but I guess mid 20s is pretty cold for this time of year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Pittsburgh's also a lot warmer than people think. 25F is the record low at Athens, Georgia, and only 3F below the record for Tallahassee, Florida.

Especially when you consider all time record cold. Some warmer cities are better at extreme cold than we are. Cincinnati has been colder than we’ve ever been on three different dates. Knoxville, TN has been colder than we’ve ever been once. Louisville’s all time record low is the same as ours.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Especially when you consider all time record cold. Some warmer cities are better at extreme cold than we are. Cincinnati has been colder than we’ve ever been on three different dates. Knoxville, TN has been colder than we’ve ever been once. Louisville’s all time record low is the same as ours.

I wonder if for some of those cities the cold can hit harder before it moderates.  It has to swing around the Lakes to get to us, or go right over them and I imagine that moderates the cold a bit.  In a place like Cincinnati there would be more flat open land to the west than we have.  I don't know, it could be, might not.  That's just what I've figured all these years.

50 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I wonder if for some of those cities the cold can hit harder before it moderates.  It has to swing around the Lakes to get to us, or go right over them and I imagine that moderates the cold a bit.  In a place like Cincinnati there would be more flat open land to the west than we have.  I don't know, it could be, might not.  That's just what I've figured all these years.

It’s probably a function of being further from the coast but more importantly it’s likely a function of not getting lake effect clouds and junk on those clear cold nights.

6 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I came to see what obscure fact you'd find about the temperature this morning, lol.

I say that all in good fun.

Probably not particularly uncommon, as today’s low will be well below that and nowhere near the record warm min (61) at 11:59pm.

52 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

About as warm as it gets for this time of the day in the month of November. The 3 am, 4 am, and 5 am readings at PIT tied the warmest ever observed during those hours in the month of November.

image.thumb.png.c275f43da010db08adcf030bf51ba258.png

Looks like today’s records are the only ones that occurred beyond the first week of November. And most of the others were set during the memorable November heatwaves of 2015, 2016 and 2022. Jesus, we almost hit 70 this morning.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

I guess it's kind of interesting, but this kind of warm doesn't really doesn't impress me when temperatures likely plummet later and you see lows probably in the 40s.  Just weird timing things in this case.

It’s less impressive than the 72 we hit in the wee hours of the morning of December 22, 2013, much deeper into the cold season.