• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2023 Fall Mid-Long Term Discussion.

John1122

The 12z GFS and CMC show a transition to at the very least cold fronts pressing eastward...and that means some rain.  MRX mentioned that modeling has been overestimating qpf amounts in drought stricken areas.  So, keep that in mind as well.

09-10 was a banner winter.  Barely got home one evening in December as we got hammered during rush hour.  Took some folks 12 hours to make a 30min commute.   It definitely depends on where you are located....

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

I lived in Southaven ms back then but now I'm in jackson tn. Two weeks back to back with events and that was it

Yeah, unfortunately you guys in the western forum area missed out on much of it. 

Btw, I've been in Jackson. My Sister used to live in Humboldt. Nice area. Reelfoot not far from there. 

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z GFS and CMC show a transition to at the very least cold fronts pressing eastward...and that means some rain.  MRX mentioned that modeling has been overestimating qpf amounts in drought stricken areas.  So, keep that in mind as well.

09-10 was a banner winter.  Barely got home one evening in December as we got hammered during rush hour.  Took some folks 12 hours to make a 30min commute.   It definitely depends on where you are located....

The December 18-19 2009 storm was one of my all time favorites. Of course the 3 week period of no power or water wasn't very fun. I was a child during 93 and 96 blizzards, so it was cool to experience 09 as an adult. I would love for my children to experience a storm like that. It was magical to me as a child.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

They were talking about it in the New England section earlier on 12zgefs and eps

I would imagine most forums have it on their radar.  I may go give it a read.  Has an 09-10 look to it.  But who knows if shoulder season modeling is correct.  Models had lots oft troughing over the EC a few weeks ago in the LR...turned out to be warm and dry in actuality.  Not sure I buy the early start, but would gladly enjoy every bit of it.  It isn't without precedent.   Again, the dry Sept/Oct analogs(the Nino years) had cold Decembers.  But really at this range, a lot is on the table.

• Like 4

To clarify mentioning a lot is on the table.....that means anything from mild weather to cold. LR modeling is all over the place at times, and usually much more so at this time of year, even ensembles.  This fall has been especially tough as modeling (and MRX mentioned this recently) has been consistently over-estimating rainfall in regions with drought.

• Like 2

The 12z GEFS is not warm, and the run to run comparison over the SE is colder than 6z.  During the years where I had to live in "cold weather exile" in central Florida for a couple of years during the early 80s, seems like there was a cold shot in Orlando about that time.  Florida is a great place, but I like winter.  But one of those odd memories from childhood makes me think I was having to wear a heavy coat in Florida around Thanksgiving.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z GEFS is not warm, and the run to run comparison over the SE is colder than 6z.  During the years where I had to live in "cold weather exile" in central Florida for a couple of years during the early 80s, seems like there was a cold shot in Orlando about that time.  Florida is a great place, but I like winter.  But one of those odd memories from childhood makes me think I was having to wear a heavy coat in Florida around Thanksgiving.

If there is enough -pna, should allow for overrunning for some but models won't pick it up until later 

Euro Weeklies this evening look really good as well - nice progression.  @John1122 that cold shot during November next week is a good sign I think in regards to winter.  Really, at this point I am trying to temper my enthusiasm.  Let's see if modeling holds serve during the next couple of days.  It would not surprise me to see us tracking at some point.

• Like 5

Almost seems like a false start to winter (7-10 days cold) next week, followed by a warm-up, and then Jeff's Nino pattern later in December.  I could be badly wrong, but this is about as bullish as I can be about LR/seasonal modeling.  Hopefully this isn't the "we've seen the last of summer" post I had back Augus...only to have summer end last week LOL

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The Euro Weeklies (control and mean) continue to depict a robust Nino pattern for the second week of December.  Transitions occurs prior.  6" snow mean for NE TN and SW VA.  Control has snow into New Orleans.

Yeah, CFS Weeklies looking good as well. -EPO Ftw. Hopefully these depictions come to fruition more times than not and not the tucking under sw trough and eastern ridging . Would setup a great Winter Pattern. 

• Like 2

We've seen this head fake once already this year (trough in the East and ridge in the West).  What we are seeing on modeling could also be a false start for winter which is highly common for Nino winters.  BUT......ensemlbes (both weeklies and global ensembles) are fairly consistent in showing decently cold pattern during early December.  My guess would be that it would ease up, and maybe we are just tracking a 5-7 day cold shot...but modeling is currently showing a longer duration cold event.  

• Like 2

To further clarify, the Thanksgiving cold shot looks like a reality.  Then there is a brief warm-up.  The duration of that warm-up, and ensuing cold is what I am interested in.  The 500mb pattern after that brief warm-up looks formidable.  It might be a head fake as shoulder season modeling is infamous for bad takes in the LR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

To further clarify, the Thanksgiving cold shot looks like a reality.  Then there is a brief warm-up.  The duration of that warm-up, and ensuing cold is what I am interested in.  The 500mb pattern after that brief warm-up looks formidable.  It might be a head fake as shoulder season modeling is infamous for bad takes in the LR.

Yeah I definitely don't want another false hope of anything of any duration like last December.  I remember ecwn the ensembles were horrible last year in winter. Showing great signs and even storms only to head fake. I am the side of true winter not starting until January but not having an all out torch would be nice.

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic