• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Threat Aug. 6th

pen_artist

The convection allowing models favor the idea of several storms near St. Louis and into the southern half of Illinois tomorrow. The NAM-12km says the CAPE could be up to 2000-3000 J/kg late in the day at 00z. The 500mb winds will be pretty strong, increasing into the nighttime, with over 40 kt of 0-6km shear, so I think there could be supercells. I would think tornado chances will be low due to weaker 850mb winds. The storms could move to southern Indiana and northern Kentucky, while riding along the faster 500mb-700mb winds.

refcmp_uh001h.us_mw.png

• Thanks 1

Yesterday was an awesome chase for me!

I was on a few supercells earlier in the day that tried to produce but struggled in the limited low level shear. I kept hopping to the SE to catch newly developing cells as the ones to the NW got washed out. Eventually I hopped on a big supercell near Jacksonville, IL that was producing a spectacular lightning show.

At first, the cell looked outflow dominant but kept cycling with periods of strong inflow. As it started to undergo a merger with several other cells, the RFD winds began SCREAMING while a nice wall cloud carved out of the base. I decided to take a risk and go for a northern view as I figured it was now or never for tornadogenesis. I positioned myself on the north shore of Sangchris Lake without a single other chaser in sight. Sure enough, the storm planted a BEAST tornado and I got to watch it until the blinding RFD blocked my view. What an amazing experience!!

Screenshot_20230806-183956_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, fluoronium said:

August 6th was the craziest tornado intercept of my life. I was probably a bit too bold following it so closely from the north, however I never lost my storm awareness and in return I got some incredible views.

Glad you were safe and got those awesome views!! Great video keep it up

• Like 1