• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Golf Thread

Modfan2

I'm taking the plunge and getting fitted for clubs.  My Mizuno MX-17s are 15-16 years old and even my driver is almost 10.  I'm 55 now and I've lost a little swing speed.  It was never huge to begin with so I'm thinking it's time to update the technology in my bag. Or at least some of it, I may not be able to afford to replace the entire bag.  One of the big hurdles I have to overcome is that I've always believed that fitted clubs and new technology won't help me if my swing isn't great.  Has anyone here been fitted?  What should I expect?

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I'm taking the plunge and getting fitted for clubs.  My Mizuno MX-17s are 15-16 years old and even my driver is almost 10.  I'm 55 now and I've lost a little swing speed.  It was never huge to begin with so I'm thinking it's time to update the technology in my bag. Or at least some of it, I may not be able to afford to replace the entire bag.  One of the big hurdles I have to overcome is that I've always believed that fitted clubs and new technology won't help me if my swing isn't great.  Has anyone here been fitted?  What should I expect?

Try game improvement irons. I have ping g700s and they make a big difference over my old irons. 14 handicap.

My handicap has gone from 13 to 17 over the last 3-4 years. It’s not the clubs entirely but it could be some of it. I’m definitely looking at game improvement irons. Pings like yours or Mizuno JPX 923s interest me. I have a Ping G25 driver and 5 wood. Maybe I start with the woods? 

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My handicap has gone from 13 to 17 over the last 3-4 years. It’s not the clubs entirely but it could be some of it. I’m definitely looking at game improvement irons. Pings like yours or Mizuno JPX 923s interest me. I have a Ping G25 driver and 5 wood. Maybe I start with the woods? 

Do you hit your woods a lot? What part of your game holding you back? If it's distance on your long irons you might want to try a seven wood.  I have one and it's pretty much replaced my 5-iron. Plenty of loft and easy to hit.

20 hours ago, mreaves said:

I was looking at buying some Pings individually since I don't use all the irons, cheaper to buy them that way, the Pings I looked at were $150-$190 each and do what Ken said and use woods for the longer irons.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Improvement irons make a difference for sure. I hit each of my new irons at least a club further and if I hit them right, two clubs further. I like to try my friends clubs when I'm out on the course . Sometimes you find a winner .

• Like 1

Played yesterday’s   @ Beaver Creek . Challenging course . Fairways are tight and they like to run water across them around 275 yds out.

My highlight was driving the par 4 11’th hole. It was a nice uphill challenge . My ball was about 10 yards past the flag. Unfortunately the two tiered sloping green was too much for me , and I 3 putted for par.

10 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Played yesterday’s   @ Beaver Creek . Challenging course . Fairways are tight and they like to run water across them around 275 yds out.

My highlight was driving the par 4 11’th hole. It was a nice uphill challenge . My ball was about 10 yards past the flag. Unfortunately the two tiered sloping green was too much for me , and I 3 putted for par.

You said that wrong, it’s “fucking three putted”.  

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Played golf on Monday for first time in two weeks and legit felt like I forgot how to play the game. Yikes. 

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

That’s going to happen with me too. It’s been over a week. 

To expand on this a bit, I have always had a set schedule of play in summer, 9 holes after work Tuesday and Thursday and at least once on the weekend, whether it's 9 or 18.  When I fall out of routine, it can take a bit to adjust.

20 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anyone ever play Breakfast Hill in Greenland, NH?

Yes couple times 

with my uncle , he lives in town 

but I don’t remember shiat , Is that the course where the police station is behind the driving range net, I hit a few off the roof @ approx 300yds . Felt like I must have been breaking some sort of law 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes couple times 

but I don’t remember shiat , Is that the course where the police station is behind the driving range net, I hit a few off the roof @ approx 300yds . Felt like I must have been breaking some sort of law 

I was playing one time at Cooperstown and there was a par 3 facing a busy road, super windy, so I took a wood and crushed it, hit a bus filled with tourists and bounced off the entrance to a gift shop. We had a good laugh at that one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes couple times 

No idea. Never been. Playing tomorrow morning at 630a. Going to be chilly!

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Sounds like the place I played in Oswego, short course with small greens and most approach shots were blind, so if you didn't know the course it was tough.

The course has a free booklet in pro shop to help with angles and lines. Also, the starter definitely gave us a heads up to not be long.