• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mountains Spring/Summer Thread

Tyler Penland

Man we got hammered here in sw Rutherford today just south of 74 bypass right off of 221 south. Worst severe storm I've seen in the last 20 or so years. Trees uprooted everywhere. Tops of trees snapped all around the community. Trees blocking the road on all ends. Had to be 70mph winds and just under golf ball size hail for at least 10 mins straight. I had a standard size  refrigerator propped up against my building in the back yard and it ended up 50 yards away in my neighbors yard. Our neighbors trampoline ended up flying through our yard and ended up about a football field away in pieces. Just south of 74 bypass to the SC state line seemed to be the worst. North of 74 bypass just a few rain drops. Luckily no damage to the house or vehicles and the power stayed on  but not everyone was so lucky in the community. Worst storm I've seen around here in a long time. 

• Like 2

Side note: I'm looking to buy some high elevation property for my 2nd home. Been looking in the Banner Elk, Boone, Blowing Rock areas. Any recommendations from you all? 

I've looked at Lodges at Eagles Nest. Curious to hear from those of you with property above 4000'.

• Like 3

Just now, Buckethead said:

I'm ready for the end of mosuito/ can't see um season. I look like I have chicken pox on my legs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Lol that's funny! Oh yeah that will be coming soon I think. We'll get another warm up then we will start to taper down little by little.  Saw a pretty sharp dip in the jet around hour 144 in the overnight models.  I like that.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 1:40 PM, westmc9th said:

Side note: I'm looking to buy some high elevation property for my 2nd home. Been looking in the Banner Elk, Boone, Blowing Rock areas. Any recommendations from you all? 

I've looked at Lodges at Eagles Nest. Curious to hear from those of you with property above 4000'.

What's your end goal?  Best snow?  Best food?  Most "city" like?

Best Snow....Beech or Sugar Mtn - above 4300.  Higher the better obviously.  I know all about Lodges at Eagles Nest as it's basically on an extension of Beech Mtn.  You can literally walk from the top of that neighborhood over the ridge to Beech mtn resort.  Do it all the time.  Wife and I like to jog and run through the Emerald outback of Beech to the highest road that takes you to the top near their sky bar if you will.  I would not buy any property lower than the Great Camp in elevation.

Boone...great if you just want to be near the hustle and bustle.  Not so great for snow and it does get quite warm there...compared to Beech Mtn.

Blowing Rock...cool town with a great vibe and good food.  Better position for CAD ice events but not as prime for snow.

What is your experience with the Lodges at Eagles Nest?

I live in Wolf Laurel at 4360'. It's not in the area you've been looking, but if you want convenience to Asheville and plenty of snow, this is the place. The ski resort is being completely remodeled by the new owners as well. I know that there is a new section of ridgeline properties currently under development at McKinney Gap, but they haven't been listed as of yet.

I should add that our neighborhood's northern border is the Appalachian Trail. Realtors always forget to mention that. faee6fd83b59c54f92e6e5b116c8850b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 635
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
240 PM EDT SAT AUG 12 2023

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 635 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NCC009-011-021-023-027-039-043-075-087-089-099-111-113-115-121-
149-161-173-175-189-199-130000-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0635.230812T1840Z-230813T0000Z/

NC
. NORTH CAROLINA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE