• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

Guten morgen my fellow weather friends.  Great weekend over here in the 17601.  We were able to have the entirety of our daughter's one-year birthday party outside on Saturday, which was completely unexpected.  We got less than a tenth of an inch of rain in the morning and the winds were a complete non-factor until the front passed through later in the evening.  Just a beautiful day.  We had a couple of gusts that sounded mean Saturday night (probably on the order of 40-50mph) but all in all I thought the duration of the wind event was a big letdown.  Heck, even yesterday we were able to hang outside on the back deck and be protected from the breeze, and when combined with the sun, low 50s felt great in a teeshirt.  Looks like a couple of perfect ten days on tap and possibly some shower activity later in the week, which would be much appreciated given some of the overseeding I did.

National high of 97 at Rio Grande Village, TX and low of -7 at multiple spots in and around Yellowstone.  Have a great week everyone!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Guten morgen my fellow weather friends.  Great weekend over here in the 17601.  We were able to have the entirety of our daughter's one-year birthday party outside on Saturday, which was completely unexpected.  We got less than a tenth of an inch of rain in the morning and the winds were a complete non-factor until the front passed through later in the evening.  Just a beautiful day.  We had a couple of gusts that sounded mean Saturday night (probably on the order of 40-50mph) but all in all I thought the duration of the wind event was a big letdown.  Heck, even yesterday we were able to hang outside on the back deck and be protected from the breeze, and when combined with the sun, low 50s felt great in a teeshirt.  Looks like a couple of perfect ten days on tap and possibly some shower activity later in the week, which would be much appreciated given some of the overseeding I did.

National high of 97 at Rio Grande Village, TX and low of -7 at multiple spots in and around Yellowstone.  Have a great week everyone!

Nice inflection of some German this morning! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Nice inflection of some German this morning! 

Digging deep back to my high school language classes ha.  Hey, did you get much of anything from the storms that moved through Saturday evening?  They slid juuuuust by us to the north and south here and we got virtually nothing, perhaps a hundredth or two.

42 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Digging deep back to my high school language classes ha.  Hey, did you get much of anything from the storms that moved through Saturday evening?  They slid juuuuust by us to the north and south here and we got virtually nothing, perhaps a hundredth or two.

Just over a tenth of an inch of rain. Very impressive light show in advance of the storm...I was surprised how much lightning there was. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

March data for Lancaster is in:

As I’d suspected, temps (as a whole) were not below normal in #March at @millersvilleu but instead finished 2.34°F above avg! The “chilly period” was indeed March 9-20, & the rest of the month was warm-biased. Monthly precip was nearly 1” below avg. The cold/snow hype fell flat.

That is over a degree higher than average vs. MDT which was only 1.2. 

• Like 1

The final numbers for Ian are in. 156 deaths and the most expensive Hurricane in Florida history.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-ne-hurricane-ian-death-damage-nhc-report-20230403-ibv6yl2bpnfh3enxb5uk62c4se-story.html

Now imagine Michael had he not hit the big bend.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is over a degree higher than average vs. MDT which was only 1.2. 

MU always comes in with a much higher departure than MDT and that's because they compare against their full period-of-record, whereas MDT is only comparing against the more recent 30-year climate normal period of 1981-2020.  I've actually had discussions with MU about this very discrepancy.  I prefer MU's methods. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

MU always comes in with a much higher departure than MDT and that's because they compare against their full period-of-record, whereas MDT is only comparing against the more recent 30-year climate normal period of 1981-2020.  I've actually had discussions with MU about this very discrepancy.  I prefer MU's methods. 

I think you mentioned that before but was surprised it was so high.  On MDT's scale we (Code: Rou)  finished March about ~2 to 2.5 degrees below normal with an average temp of about 39.5.  I keep hastily recorded records, but they are close.   I realize we are supposed to be below MDT but quite the disparity.  Temp wise March was quite cool here.  

• Like 1

https://pa.water.usgs.gov/apps/drought/

Above is a really cool USGS informational link for each county.  It tracks the 4 indicators below.   Adams county is in the red on Ground Water meaning they are in a Drought Emergency on that one indicator but overall, it is not too bad yet... though almost all LSV and MSV counties are in the yellow on at least one indicator.

90 Day Precip

Surface Water

Ground Water

Palmer Index   https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/palmer-drought-severity-index-pdsi    (What is the Palmer Index)

image.png.aff500ffbbfe318749f2cb9ec6e8f7e1.png