Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,272
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Iceberg
    Newest Member
    Iceberg
    Joined

Spring/Summer Observations 2022


Carvers Gap
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ended up with about 1.5in from Friday night-today! Finally the extended dry spell has ended. 2.22in for the week. I know other areas have seen so much more, but it’s been crazy how hard it has been to get good rains in this part of the valley.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s either feast or famine with these pop up storms.  It’s going to take a tropical system of at least a couple days of rain to help with the drought conditions in west TN & creeping eastward.  The heat coming this week is going to dry the ground out very quickly.  What a long miserable hot summer it has been so far.  Memphis knocking down 100+ days quickly while here in mid state were knocking down mid 90’s quickly. Dog days of summer usually are in august.  Seems this whole summer has been dog days. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Matthew70 said:

It’s either feast or famine with these pop up storms.  It’s going to take a tropical system of at least a couple days of rain to help with the drought conditions in west TN & creeping eastward.  The heat coming this week is going to dry the ground out very quickly.  What a long miserable hot summer it has been so far.  Memphis knocking down 100+ days quickly while here in mid state were knocking down mid 90’s quickly. Dog days of summer usually are in august.  Seems this whole summer has been dog days. 

La Nina summers are the worst.  We have picked up some more rain during the past 2-3 weeks after an incredibly long spell without a drop.  Even with all of the rain, it is still pretty easy to see how stressed the yards and plants have been prior.   And yeah, what is coming for west TN is scorching hot it appears.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My yard gets tough love starting in July. About July 4 I declare my independence from watering, lol!

Lawn was pretty tired before rain last week. Getting there again, but it should rain today. By now it's learned to root deep or suffer. Tough love wins in the long run.

Also good to see some posts. Thought everyone died of heat stroke.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

My yard gets tough love starting in July. About July 4 I declare my independence from watering, lol!

Lawn was pretty tired before rain last week. Getting there again, but it should rain today. By now it's learned to root deep or suffer. Tough love wins in the long run.

Also good to see some posts. Thought everyone died of heat stroke.

With the coming days & weeks.  Heat strokes could be very possible. I’m not looking forward o working outside in this heat.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 10:24 AM, nrgjeff said:

My yard gets tough love starting in July. About July 4 I declare my independence from watering, lol!

Lawn was pretty tired before rain last week. Getting there again, but it should rain today. By now it's learned to root deep or suffer. Tough love wins in the long run.

Also good to see some posts. Thought everyone died of heat stroke.

LOL.  The past couple of months must be what a wx forum in the desert looks like.  

It's hot and dry.  I'll be back when it rains again.............................................................................................

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The lightning is crazy looking south and north from here. That cell appears to have 2-3 strikes per second. 

Yeah, it has been nonstop flashbulbs. Coming up on 3 inches of water. Real impressive storm. My yard is a lake. And it looks like there is a stout line coming in behind it. You should be seeing that soon. 

What is the cause of this? The flow? Like the opposite of a rain shadow or something. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Yeah, it has been nonstop flashbulbs. Coming up on 3 inches of water. Real impressive storm. My yard is a lake. And it looks like there is a stout line coming in behind it. You should be seeing that soon. 

What is the cause of this? The flow? Like the opposite of a rain shadow or something. 

Rain has started here from another development in advance of the line, but I think you guys will really get even worse tonight as this line in Kentucky drifts down.  Looks like it's going to really gel over your area and you may get another couple inches. The storm you've been under was a bonus storm basically. 

These storms are a result of a front and upper low well to our north. They are moving really slow and with these dew points and precipatable water values around 2 inches, you are seeing the result. I won't be shocked if you end up with 4-6 inches of rain by morning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Between yesterday morning through current I've now gotten over 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. Looks like parts of Anderson and Knox that got the 2-3 hour drencher are well over 7 inches in the last 24 hours. Heavy rain still rolling here and even heavier for those areas. 

 

It's hard to imagine louder thunder. It's rattling windows and shaking my insides. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else been under this neverending cell in Anderson/Knox? Two hours and this little storm is still kicking. Already two inches of rain and a flood warning. 

My mom was under that cell. She lives in Powell at Emory Rd and Clinton Hwy. The doppler radar est” they have been giving is several inches light. Her rain gauge had 8” in it. 5-6” came from that cell in around 2 hours. She lives on the side of a hill so no worries of flooding but just down the road there were several water rescues. She hasn’t had power since 9pm. I was on the edge of it and the lightning was incredible.


.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random question, any ideas what these biological returns on radar may be?
 
The larger donut return near Dayton appears centered of the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge. I've noticed these returns nearly every morning for a few weeks. First thought was bats, but leaving in the AM wouldn't make sense
 
KHTX_loop.gif.e434805b177f6989b35589886731dddb.gif

Those are birds taking off.


.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...