• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2022 OBS Thread

42 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Think you may need to check your siting or thermometer...no spots across all of PA with the exception of the PHL airport heat islands even got to 82 degrees....image.thumb.png.ced9b706b7f0cf209d55dbf025a67b99.png

Possibly, but I've had no reason to doubt it in the year and a half it's been up. Here's a current temp map from WU:

XZLEdHm.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

52 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Aleet aleet!

Tau Herculi possible meteor shower between midnight and 1am

Conveniently located high in the sky, but a high cirrus deck has popped on the scene from nowhere.

There's a little haze here, but you can see stars overhead. After your post I looked at the satellite and those clouds are racing south. What the heck, lol. We'll see.

Meanwhile the lightning bugs are ramping up here thanks to the warmer weather. Saw a few starting Friday night, and a definite uptick tonight.

Plenty of 90's across the low spots of Chesco with Marsh Creek at lake level already up to 96.5 while Hawk Hill in Downingtown up to 89.1 and 89.6 at KMQS  and 90.0 at KPTW. Here in East Nantmeal the roof mounted Tempest has topped out at 90.9 degrees - but both the VP2 at 88.3 and the Ambient station (88.2) have not yet topped the 90 degree mark. Also 1st 90+ day on the barrier islands at the Jersey Shore!

Backyard.20220531_154551020.jpg

SICHi.20220531_154515750.jpg

40 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Briefly tapped 95 at 2:46 pm and currently at 94 with dp down a bit to 64.

Heard on KYW that they let the Philly schools out early due to the heat (and the persistent lack of AC in the old piece of junk buildings).

Went to catholic school grades 1-12...no A/C all grades , never let of school early due to heat and enforced top button buttoned and tie all the way up. What a mess...

96F

96.jpg

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Went to catholic school grades 1-12...no A/C all grades , never let of school early due to heat and enforced top button buttoned and tie all the way up. What a mess...

96F

96.jpg

Oh I know that feeling. When I was in public school here we just pulled the bottom sashes of the windows all the way up, fought over who got to use the window pole to pull down the top sash, turned off the lights, and put our heads down on our desks while the bees flew around the room (no screens). :lol:

Still haven't gone higher than 95 here (yet) although it continues to bop between 94 and 95 and is currently 94 w/dp now down to 61 (still a bit uncomfortable but better than the mid-upper 60s earlier this morning).

18 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Oh I know that feeling. When I was in public school here we just pulled the bottom sashes of the windows all the way up, fought over who got to use the window pole to pull down the top sash, turned off the lights, and put our heads down on our desks while the bees flew around the room (no screens). :lol:

Still haven't gone higher than 95 here (yet) although it continues to bop between 94 and 95 and is currently 94 w/dp now down to 61 (still a bit uncomfortable but better than the mid-upper 60s earlier this morning).

No screens either, usually flies and a occasion bee.

And it was a real treat if your classroom had one "box fan" for the entire 30 student classroom...

95F

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

And it was a real treat if your classroom had one "box fan" for the entire 30 student classroom...

95F

I remember some classrooms might roll in one of those gigantic metal pedestal fans.  Had to be close to 36" diameter. :lol:

Well 95 was my high for the day and it's currently down to 84 with dp back up again to 67.

There was one RER for today for Reading, which tied its record high today (the Text Products page is supposed to move to a new site 6/14/22 so right now, the current one has some stuff in odd locations like the below) -

SXUS71 KPHI 312137
 RERPHI

PRELIMINARY RECORD EVENT REPORT
 NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
 0533 PM EDT TUE MAY 31 2022

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT READING PA...

A HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 94 WAS RECORDED AT READING PA TODAY.
 THIS TIES THE RECORD OF 94 SET IN 2011.

$$

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

95F

Those schools were known as EZ bake ovens.

Cool thing was my bus drove by the new big modern public school that had a planetarium and AIR CONDITIONING

• Weenie 1

Made it to 95.7°F at home today. I'm up in Teterboro for the week and only saw 89°F in the car, though it's a new car and I haven't validated it yet. Seems a bit low given that the closest WU station measured at least 94. I wonder if there's a way to calibrate it. Anyway, even though I'm only 2.5 hours-ish northeast of home, we are expected to be significantly cooler tomorrow here due to a cold front pushing down overnight.

My HS in the 90's also had no A/C except for the permanent "temporary" classroom trailers out back. 700 kids in a building designed for 400. The HS has since been relocated to a brand new building and the former location has been gutted and rebuilt into who knows what these days.

Still no 90+ days this year in the higher spots of our County as we could do no better than 88.2 yesterday here in East Nantmeal and 89.6 at KMQS Airport in Coatesville. Record High for today is 96.5 way back in 1895. The record coldest was the 34 degrees in 1930. Our record rain for the day is 1.69" from 1977.

image.png.5975840fd3359ab309e8f5330b1d00b7.png