• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/Oklahoma Discussion & Obs Thread 2022

Getting freezing rain with some thunderstorm activity at my location in Fort Worth.  We’ve also been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.
This burst of convection looks to make things get ugly earlier than expected.
That's something to watch out for. I don't think the models have anything for the metro until later this afternoon. This sounds really early.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

It was sleeting as I left my house this morning. That was about 7:30ish. Nothing was showing on the radar though, is this due to how low in the clouds it's precipitating? It was heavy enough to run my wipers in my car but pretty light. Also the temps are colder than I expected. 23 at my house.

1 hour ago, aggiegeog said:

FTW kicks off what will likely be a major expansion of warnings that will eventually stretch from the Hill Country to NE TX. Likely to include Austin, Waco, maybe Tyler and up to Paris and maybe down to San Antonio. Amounts trending down for N TX and up for Central and eastern Texas.

Yes they provided that update about an hour ago. I don't see where they mention amounts trending down for N TX. But I tend to agree with you at this point. With DFW metro still sitting very quiet at this point, I doubt if there's enough time to even reach the warning criteria like they expected earlier. The second wave was expected to get here by early evening but it didn't.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:43 PM, cheese007 said:

Honestly it's hard for me to get excited about any of this since my grad school abolished snow days thanks to Zoom. I understand why so many Northerners hate this stuff now lol

I got a Snow Day today

In October 2020, they tried to take out Snow Days, but the October Ice Storm made them bring it back (Got 3 Snow Days that time)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aggiegeog said:

Looks like more sleet and snow for North Texas this morning and showers elsewhere. Friday may bring snow to the northern half of Texas. Saturday morning looks like it may being a widespread hard freeze.

Yes. Sleeting hard here in Denton Ct. A bit unexpected.

Friday doesn't look very promising at this point. GFS seems like the only model saying there will be any meaningful snow.

NWS continues expanding WWAs south to the I-20 corridor. Amounts should be around half an inch near I-20 with an inch plus possible near the Red River. Before the snow, light rain and sleet will fall. The snow will likely come in a quick burst that could quickly cover roads and especially bridges. Other than precip expect cold wind chills all day today. A hard freeze is possible tonight where snow accumulates.

3 hours ago, aggiegeog said:

NWS continues expanding WWAs south to the I-20 corridor. Amounts should be around half an inch near I-20 with an inch plus possible near the Red River. Before the snow, light rain and sleet will fall. The snow will likely come in a quick burst that could quickly cover roads and especially bridges. Other than precip expect cold wind chills all day today. A hard freeze is possible tonight where snow accumulates.

I would doubt if we see that much based how things go now. I'm in S Denton Ct. It seems the current temp is just a bit warmer than they expected, which will make a large difference in this case.

Edit: Raining pretty hard now. 1C outside. I consider myself to be pretty far north of I-20 here :(

7 minutes ago, vwgrrc said:

I would doubt if we see that much based how things go now. I'm in S Denton Ct. It seems the current temp is just a bit warmer than they expected, which will make a large difference in this case.

Edit: Raining pretty hard now. 1C outside. I consider myself to be pretty far north of I-20 here :(

Heaviest snow will be McKinney to Texarkana and points north. Denton and areas west of you will likely see more sleet and miss the heavy snow later today.

Much of DFW and Western Oklahoma is now under extreme drought conditions. There's been some relief in other parts of Northern/Western Texas with the numerous winter weather events since early February, but current model projections suggests it will worsen.

Certainly not good as we head into the warm season.