Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem Snowstorm! 2/2-2/4

1 minute ago, sferic said:

Dave,

Why and when should Kuchera be used as opposed to 10:1? Forgive me if I asked this awhile back

Never. Lol. JK. In my humble opinion it should only be used for lake effect and very rarely in synoptic situations. 10:1 is a great rule of thumb in synoptic storms. Maybe tack on a little. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

Never. Lol. JK. In my humble opinion it should only be used for lake effect and very rarely in synoptic situations. 10:1 is a great rule of thumb in synoptic storms. Maybe tack on a little. 

Well it depends there are many cold synoptic systems. The last one that hit Boston averaged 1:15-1:17. You can't just apply 10:1 to all synoptic storms.

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Well it depends there are many cold synoptic systems. The last one that hit Boston averaged 1:15-1:17. You can't just apply 10:1 to all synoptic storms.

The 10:1 maps verified much better in almost every area outside of that deformation band in Boston. But point taken. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

nope you can't thats why you look at soundings to see if it supports higher ratios. Last I checked there wasn't much omega in the DGZ to really support good ratios and also on the warmer guidance, mids are warm. You also have to remember the weenie hand book, I believe it's rule number 1. Always post the snow map that has the most snow for your back yard whether its 10-1 or kuchera

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

The 10:1 maps verified much better in almost every area outside of that deformation band in Boston. But point taken. 

I disagree. The deformation band had the sloppiest snow vs areas NW as it was closest to the area of low pressure. The band in Connecticut was like 1:18.

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

nope you can't thats why you look at soundings to see if it supports higher ratios. Last I checked there wasn't much omega in the DGZ to really support good ratios and also on the warmer guidance, mids are warm. You also have to remember the weenie hand book, I believe it's rule number 1. Always post the snow map that has the most snow for your back yard whether its 10-1 or kuchera

You Know Hes My Number One GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

Not me. In my weenie days of yore I would have done that...but now I know the truth. 6:1 Ratio maps here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Not me. In my weenie days of yore I would have done that...but now I know the truth. 6:1 Ratio maps here.

Go 8:1 and that should be about right with this one.  Kind of a hand waving approach to account for either PL or lousy snow growth due to mismatched Omega w/ DGZ.  Entirely possible with this dying system moving NE.