• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

45 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

You’re complaining about nice weather this time of year?

I went for a couple walks today and enjoyed the fresh air.

I am still boggled by Syracuse's ability to outwarm and overwarm compared to the rest of New York state. As a cold weenie, I don't want my community to be the warmest day in and day out. Hence, looking for a mountain top. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NAM is farther NW

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

This is beginning to look like a flush hit Tuesday night Wednesday morning. Couldn’t be worse timing as there will be no help from diurnal effects. Concerned that many trees have begun to bud and that much extra weight could cause widespread power outages. If we reach 6 “ that could be the case.

Just now, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Looks like a decent consensus for now. Don’t see this as a waning event with warm antecedent ground temps this seems more like an advisory for 3-6” max. 

It’s a warning event because it’s out of season. This isn’t so much about what’s on the ground as much as it will cause to all the flowering trees ( cherry mainly) that could get wiped out of their crop this year. 

• Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

This is beginning to look like a flush hit Tuesday night Wednesday morning. Couldn’t be worse timing as there will be no help from diurnal effects. Concerned that many trees have begun to bud and that much extra weight could cause widespread power outages. If we reach 6 “ that could be the case.

Yeah, temps are actually plenty cold enough to stick with 28 degrees during heaviest rates. 

sfct.us_ne.png

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah, temps are actually plenty cold enough to stick with 28 degrees during heaviest rates. 

sfct.us_ne.png

Isn’t going to stick to ground much. Elevated surfaces for the most part. That ground is warm from weeks of 60-80 degrees. Could see a slushy inch or two on the road before the sun comes up but once the sun is up it should melt pretty quickly. 

NWS this morning 

A late season SNOWFALL looks likely Tuesday night and Wednesday. Though a bit early to pinpoint amounts this graphic shows the chances of seeing 2" or more of snow. Snow will stick to mainly grassy and elevated surfaces, but a slushy accumulation is likely on some roads.

26 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Isn’t going to stick to ground much. Elevated surfaces for the most part. That ground is warm from weeks of 60-80 degrees. Could see a slushy inch or two on the road before the sun comes up but once the sun is up it should melt pretty quickly. 

NWS this morning 

A late season SNOWFALL looks likely Tuesday night and Wednesday. Though a bit early to pinpoint amounts this graphic shows the chances of seeing 2" or more of snow. Snow will stick to mainly grassy and elevated surfaces, but a slushy accumulation is likely on some roads.

A late April snowstorm is pretty rare, its the only reason im interested in it. Average temps are in the high 50s right now. This storm is extremely rare. Temps in the upper 20s for the main part of the storm. It's like a once in 25-30 year interval airmass. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A late April snowstorm is pretty rare, its the only reason im interested in it. Average temps are in the high 50s right now. This storm is extremely rare. Temps in the upper 20s for the main part of the storm. It's like a once in 25-30 year interval airmass. 

The main part of the storm is overnight into Wednesday morning. Average low is 38 so it’s not like it’s going to be crazy cold. Talking a 8-10 degree departure. Will probably be up to 40 by Wednesday afternoon and most of the snow will be gone by Noon Thursday. Is it impressive ? Sure. Extremely rare, I don’t think so, IMO. I believe it was April 2011 there was a storm that dropped a few inches over the lower elevations but some of the higher elevations in the Southern Tier got 12-18”+. Now to me that’s a once in a generation storm. There’s nothing being modeled right now that shows this being anymore than a once in an every few year event. Hell parts of SNE just got a foot of snow 3 days ago and they’re close to the Atlantic Ocean with with average temps 5-7 degrees higher than that of here. They also had a 3-6” event in mid April last year. 

17 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

The main part of the storm is overnight into Wednesday morning. Average low is 38 so it’s not like it’s going to be crazy cold. Talking a 8-10 degree departure. Will probably be up to 40 by Wednesday afternoon and most of the snow will be gone by Noon Thursday. Is it impressive ? Sure. Extremely rare, I don’t think so, IMO. I believe it was April 2011 there was a storm that dropped a few inches over the lower elevations but some of the higher elevations in the Southern Tier got 12-18”+. Now to me that’s a once in a generation storm. There’s nothing being modeled right now that shows this being anymore than a once in an every few year event. Hell parts of SNE just got a foot of snow 3 days ago and they’re close to the Atlantic Ocean with with average temps 5-7 degrees higher than that of here. They also had a 3-6” event in mid April last year. 

It's pretty rare, From Indiana NWS. 

SPC UPPER AIR SOUNDING CLIMATOLOGY, CIPS ANALOGS AND GEFS M-CLIMATE RETURN 
INTERVAL ALL SUPPORT AN EVENT THAT MAY POSSIBLY BE CLASSIFIED AS A
50 YEAR OR 100 YEAR EVENT. A VERY STRONG ANOMALOUS SIGNAL WILL SET
UP TUESDAY. 
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's pretty rare, From Indiana NWS. 

SPC UPPER AIR SOUNDING CLIMATOLOGY, CIPS ANALOGS AND GEFS M-CLIMATE RETURN 
INTERVAL ALL SUPPORT AN EVENT THAT MAY POSSIBLY BE CLASSIFIED AS A
50 YEAR OR 100 YEAR EVENT. A VERY STRONG ANOMALOUS SIGNAL WILL SET
UP TUESDAY. 

We’ll have to see how it all shakes out. Just my personal unprofessional opinion that this is going to be nothing more than a nuisance event for this area. Not sure how it can be a one in a 50-100 year storm when I can remember more impressive events in the last 10 years than this but maybe it is for that part of the country. 

• Like 1

Just now, lakeeffectkid383 said:

We’ll have to see how it all shakes out. Just my personal unprofessional opinion that this is going to be nothing more than a nuisance event.  Not sure how it can be a one in a 50-100 year storm when I can remember more impressive events in the last 10 years than this but maybe it is for that part of the country. 

I'm just talking about the cold air coming, not the storm.