• Member Statistics

    16,542
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    feyt
    Newest Member
    feyt
    Joined

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

That’s how it is here. Can never really get more than about 1/4in total bc the sun comes out and melts it. It sure is pretty to look at. Too bad it’s not after dark as the sun wouldn’t be melting it. My temp fell back down to 30 degrees in that last squall that just came through! 

I think that's the band that's moving through here right now, very heavy but also small flakes 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Looks like ur the winner so far brother. What did u get , 4 to 5" ?

I think more like 3" it's just blown around everywhere. I didn't measure but the car seemed to have more on it than the grass probably. Every snow we've had here this season has been almost the same amount seems like. I wish it wasn't so windy here or it would've made for some really good pictures of the trees again.

They did model it pretty well though, the random dark blue blip is over me above Crossville.

 

No photo description available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John1122 said:

I never was able to get more than an inch down. Once the sun came up it was just too much for any additional accumulations.

The sun never really came out here surprisingly but we still had melting in the "drifty" spots where there wasn't as much coverage. And it was only 31 degrees today. Maybe we'll all get more the next couple days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went on a Jeep ride at Royal Blue today (about 15ish miles north of John). We were about 2,600 feet elevation and had to turn around. Trail was getting waaaaay too treacherous. Temps were about 28, and WINDY. 95cddb811777c0b388a76405eaf77937.jpg


.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

Went on a Jeep ride at Royal Blue today (about 15ish miles north of John). We were about 2,600 feet elevation and had to turn around. Trail was getting waaaaay too treacherous. Temps were about 28, and WINDY. 95cddb811777c0b388a76405eaf77937.jpg


.

Actually you were close to my house most likely if you were on the Royal Blue/North Cumberland WMA. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shocker0 said:

I think more like 3" it's just blown around everywhere. I didn't measure but the car seemed to have more on it than the grass probably. Every snow we've had here this season has been almost the same amount seems like. I wish it wasn't so windy here or it would've made for some really good pictures of the trees again.

They did model it pretty well though, the random dark blue blip is over me above Crossville.

 

No photo description available.

Yes I was amazed at how accurate that map was- I measured before the melting started and I got right about 4 or a little less in spots, I'm in the blue spot also - our elevation is much higher than in town. You might have gotten more than you thought

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got back home about dusk and took a measurement.  2.75" . There had been a little melting so, prob was a tad more but, have to report measured amount. 

      Spoke with Kmrx and they said there was a report from near Rose Hill if 5".  Here's a shot after I got home here.  Pic of side lawn. 

20210116_181314.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part 2 will be here tomorrow night. Probably lighter this round. I'd guess a heavy dusting to maybe 1.5 inches in the lower elevations with a lot more likely in the lower range of accumulation. Still I think a few people will get lucky and do okay with it.  It's going to be colder than last night and today. My low is forecast to be 26 with the snow falling tomorrow night. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Actually you were close to my house most likely if you were on the Royal Blue/North Cumberland WMA. 

Yep!! We were!! We came in from the Scott Co area, off exit 141


.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greyhound said:


Yep!! We were!! We came in from the Scott Co area, off exit 141


.

That's all Campbell Co, Scott border is about 7 miles west.  That exit has just boomed for the city of Caryville. Those hotels stay booked year round for ATV tourism. 

I can be at exit 141 in about 10 minutes on an ATV. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's all Campbell Co, Scott border is about 7 miles west.  That exit has just boomed for the city of Caryville. Those hotels stay booked year round for ATV tourism. 
I can be at exit 141 in about 10 minutes on an ATV. 

You are correct!! I call that exit the Scott Co exit......even though I know that’s wrong. Just like I still call it Lake City instead of Rocky Top!! Pretty area up there......you are very lucky to live in that area.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caught a lightning strike with the next wave moving into NE sections. Energy is currently over S. IL:
nhGNOrZ.png&key=358580fac74bcd10c1b4e04535af59a25ce9b6120f99a896158975f5525d3b1f
 
Here's a zoomed out version in WV imagery:
giphy.gif&key=1a5640024de39d133801a81ad3584757400dc5e05ddad45d59eb286e2db19263
Houston, I have to tell you. You are the man!! All these maps you post with animation are highly appreciated!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Greyhound said:


You are correct!! I call that exit the Scott Co exit......even though I know that’s wrong. Just like I still call it Lake City instead of Rocky Top!! Pretty area up there......you are very lucky to live in that area.


.

I wouldn't live anywhere else unless it was just higher up the mountain, above 2500ft is one of those lines where it's different in snow events. 

The WMA literally borders me on all sides. Good for hiking, recreation etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wintersnow888 said:

 

Yes I was amazed at how accurate that map was- I measured before the melting started and I got right about 4 or a little less in spots, I'm in the blue spot also - our elevation is much higher than in town. You might have gotten more than you thought

 

You're probably right but I woke up at like 5am when it was snowing hard and then fell asleep until like 11:30 well after it had quit lol. So I'm sure some had melted by that time since it was 31 degrees or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Part 2 will be here tomorrow night. Probably lighter this round. I'd guess a heavy dusting to maybe 1.5 inches in the lower elevations with a lot more likely in the lower range of accumulation. Still I think a few people will get lucky and do okay with it.  It's going to be colder than last night and today. My low is forecast to be 26 with the snow falling tomorrow night. 

I'd be happy if we managed another inch from all that. NWS only shows 20% chance for us while TWC is at 40% so neither seem to excited about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

MRX's map:

dJvrH0R.png

 

 

Looks right by what official reports they got. Too bad there's not more. I saw a pic of the 3.5" Duffield yardstick measurement. A bit unusual for that area as it sits in a low spot at the eastern foot of Powell Mountain . I'd venture to sat that Mtn had 5-6 " up top.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Went on a Jeep ride at Royal Blue today (about 15ish miles north of John). We were about 2,600 feet elevation and had to turn around. Trail was getting waaaaay too treacherous. Temps were about 28, and WINDY. 95cddb811777c0b388a76405eaf77937.jpg&key=cedaf04da9b51221180addc8fa324dc01d650414634838c9b11d4ed2fc498c35


.

How rough do you all get when you ride. I’d like to trail ride but not risking the equipment. My Jeep isn’t set up for that and personally I don’t care much for it. This is my Jeep. 5947534b7edd24dbe2587242ff0cc9bf.jpg


.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How rough do you all get when you ride. I’d like to trail ride but not risking the equipment. My Jeep isn’t set up for that and personally I don’t care much for it. This is my Jeep. 5947534b7edd24dbe2587242ff0cc9bf.jpg&key=6701e69e527858a18b03d6514a34568a17b5015efe8610b96e5ff321ee9caed9


.

Nice Jeep!!! It’s just all depends honestly. That ride was in Royal Blue, on the west side of I-75. That area is mostly forest roads/trails.....some mud/dirt/gravel....and a few river crossings. The water can get deep in a few places. The east side of 75 of Royal Blue can be a bit more “wild”, and plenty more opportunities to damage your ride.

I’m like you in that I don’t want to damage my Jeep, so I stick to the trails that I’m comfortable with. I’m still pretty much stock, other than put 33s on, as well as Rubicon take-off springs/shocks. With that being said, I’m comfortable on SOME trails at Windrock, but prefer smaller groups of like-minded people that don’t have dedicated trail Jeep’s. If you want to get out and hit some roads/easy trails, look on Facebook for Smoky Mtn Jeep Club. All of their stuff is super easy and fun.

This pic is from the overlook at Windrock. 55ccfed708990261a97ed935471e8f43.jpg


.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Greyhound said:


Nice Jeep!!! It’s just all depends honestly. That ride was in Royal Blue, on the west side of I-75. That area is mostly forest roads/trails.....some mud/dirt/gravel....and a few river crossings. The water can get deep in a few places. The east side of 75 of Royal Blue can be a bit more “wild”, and plenty more opportunities to damage your ride.

I’m like you in that I don’t want to damage my Jeep, so I stick to the trails that I’m comfortable with. I’m still pretty much stock, other than put 33s on, as well as Rubicon take-off springs/shocks. With that being said, I’m comfortable on SOME trails at Windrock, but prefer smaller groups of like-minded people that don’t have dedicated trail Jeep’s. If you want to get out and hit some roads/easy trails, look on Facebook for Smoky Mtn Jeep Club. All of their stuff is super easy and fun.

This pic is from the overlook at Windrock.

.

If you went across the bridge and up Turley (everyone calls it Red Ash, but it's not.) My great great grandfather lived on the very top of the mountain there where it cuts back towards either Scott County or on back into Red Ash/Caryville. I live on the East side of 75.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Jeep!!! It’s just all depends honestly. That ride was in Royal Blue, on the west side of I-75. That area is mostly forest roads/trails.....some mud/dirt/gravel....and a few river crossings. The water can get deep in a few places. The east side of 75 of Royal Blue can be a bit more “wild”, and plenty more opportunities to damage your ride.

 

I’m like you in that I don’t want to damage my Jeep, so I stick to the trails that I’m comfortable with. I’m still pretty much stock, other than put 33s on, as well as Rubicon take-off springs/shocks. With that being said, I’m comfortable on SOME trails at Windrock, but prefer smaller groups of like-minded people that don’t have dedicated trail Jeep’s. If you want to get out and hit some roads/easy trails, look on Facebook for Smoky Mtn Jeep Club. All of their stuff is super easy and fun.

 

This pic is from the overlook at Windrock. 55ccfed708990261a97ed935471e8f43.jpg&key=6cc0de87919b2793f2e37a26c1a2dbf4283d9d0abbfecd06b03c47a30e71b2c7

 

 

.

I’ve got a 3” lift and 35’s. Changed out a lot of the front end myself that’s more suited for the highway than the trail. I would definitely like to go for a low anxiety ride just for fun. It’s my daily driver so I have to be careful. 9b25323df89ce1c7758ff6f97b0af5de.jpg&key=c9015cd78f76d476185ab6255e6b76abb55743a4f059b01dadb1eac9f10549b2

 

 

.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got basically a dusting from first band.... hovering between 29-30.  Conditions are perfect if the next band is heavier . It looks healthier than the last one if it makes it to the ground !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m at Sugar Mtn. with the family I’d say they’ve probably had a couple new inches here overnight. Quite a bit of snow on the road too. Would estimate that there’s probably 1-2in on it up here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.