Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane question ...

speedlimit340

Hi,

I am new here, this is my first post it may be my last idk. I have been thru many hurricanes tropical storms etc and I have always wondered what it would take to stop a storm from getting stronger and moving over land. I saw the idea of nukes and that was pretty much shot down because nobody really knows what a nuke would do to a hurricane and with some of the answers from people out there if any of them were true about making the storm radio active or stronger then it is now then that is a good enough reason to let that sleep. but what about shock waves or sonic booms? u know when the shuttle came back each time from space it shook the house i was in many miles away pretty strong too . I am a common sense thinking person (most of the time) so what can anyone tell me about the effect of 100s of sonic booms inside a hurricane,in the eye over the top or even inside the bad areas if that's possible? just like the nukes I don't believe any such test or experiment has ever been attempted , right? so maybe someone with lots of knowledge on sonic booms or sound waves can chime in here and give us some honest input. OK so a jet can break the sound barrier rather easy so when it does do that it splits the air in half it has a wave in front of it like a boat and this wave is aimed in a downward path. so what could 100s of these do to the structure of a storm if it was first and foremost safe to try and then done to learn if it could do anything to weaken or stop the storm from reaching any land and doing its destructive $$ damage? If this has been tried or anyone with enough knowledge about that could maybe give what u know info would be appreciated please keep any Godzilla ,monster X answers to yourself, i may be completely upside-down here too but how am I gonna learn if I don't ask? thanks for taking the time to read this my return here about this will be determined by the responses I get back ...   !!!   :raining:  :twister:  :sun:

8 minutes ago, speedlimit340 said:

Hi,

I am new here, this is my first post it may be my last idk. I have been thru many hurricanes tropical storms etc and I have always wondered what it would take to stop a storm from getting stronger and moving over land. I saw the idea of nukes and that was pretty much shot down because nobody really knows what a nuke would do to a hurricane and with some of the answers from people out there if any of them were true about making the storm radio active or stronger then it is now then that is a good enough reason to let that sleep. but what about shock waves or sonic booms? u know when the shuttle came back each time from space it shook the house i was in many miles away pretty strong too . I am a common sense thinking person (most of the time) so what can anyone tell me about the effect of 100s of sonic booms inside a hurricane,in the eye over the top or even inside the bad areas if that's possible? just like the nukes I don't believe any such test or experiment has ever been attempted , right? so maybe someone with lots of knowledge on sonic booms or sound waves can chime in here and give us some honest input. OK so a jet can break the sound barrier rather easy so when it does do that it splits the air in half it has a wave in front of it like a boat and this wave is aimed in a downward path. so what could 100s of these do to the structure of a storm if it was first and foremost safe to try and then done to learn if it could do anything to weaken or stop the storm from reaching any land and doing its destructive $$ damage? If this has been tried or anyone with enough knowledge about that could maybe give what u know info would be appreciated please keep any Godzilla ,monster X answers to yourself, i may be completely upside-down here too but how am I gonna learn if I don't ask? thanks for taking the time to read this my return here about this will be determined by the responses I get back ...   !!!   :raining:  :twister:  :sun:

image.thumb.png.e5c7496a666e52e894e09fd8af76e0fd.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

You gotta nip it in the bud. Encourage more deforestation in Africa. More SAL, weaker AEW’s, fewer storms. Clean up the homegrown systems by using a space based laser system to warm the cloud tops. 

Get giant fans and just spew SAL all over the atlantic.

• Haha 1

Jesus christ, you could unleash the entire nuclear arsenal and the hurricane would just advect the radioactive wv induced lapse rates and keep on chugging. If nothing else the heat from the detonations might increase evaporation?

As for the rest... We humans seem to suck at climate engineering beyond royally fubar'ing everything 1,000,000 x10³.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

As for the rest... We humans seem to suck at climate engineering beyond royally fubar'ing everything 1000 x10^2.

How are we ever going to get better if we don’t try? Everyone wants to act like because project stormfury failed we should never try again. That’s loser talk. Also, I might agree with you if the climate was already in perfect equilibrium but we’ve messed it up so badly already that we may as well try to screw with it some more in case we can fix something this time. 

• Weenie 1

How are we ever going to get better if we don’t try? Everyone wants to act like because project stormfury failed we should never try again. That’s loser talk. Also, I might agree with you if the climate was already in perfect equilibrium but we’ve messed it up so badly already that we may as well try to screw with it some more in case we can fix something this time. 
Simply put, it's too much airmass to manipulate. And here is the catch 2020. Excuse the pun. Let's say you successfully manipulate a storm. At that point you are responsible for it. If the diversion of this atmospheric phenomenon creates another atmospheric phenomenon that wipes out a city, much less kills a bunch of folks, then it's no longer an Act of God, but a result of your screw up.
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Simply put, it's too much airmass to manipulate. And here is the catch 2020. Excuse the pun. Let's say you successfully manipulate a storm. At that point you are responsible for it. If the diversion of this atmospheric phenomenon creates another atmospheric phenomenon that wipes out a city, much less kills a bunch of folks, then it's no longer an Act of God, but a result of your screw up.

Ya thats pretty much why not much has been done/tried.

China can play with a virus thoe. Might as well try something to.

Ya well we're not going off topic and none of this is proven, only speculation. But I am pretty damn certain that if it could be proven that you redirected a macro-level atmospheric system that caused immense human suffering elsewhere, you're opening up a can of worms no financial institution wants to eat. Nothing withstanding the global ramifications and possible resulting sanctions or war.
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Windspeed said:
4 hours ago, natedizel said:

Ya well we're not going off topic and none of this is proven, only speculation. But I am pretty damn certain that if it could be proven that you redirected a macro-level atmospheric system that caused immense human suffering elsewhere, you're opening up a can of worms no financial institution wants to eat. Nothing withstanding the global ramifications and possible resulting sanctions or war.

3 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Liability is a bitch.

Your taking it to serious. No one is gonna nuke a hurricane. 

Your taking it to serious. No one is gonna nuke a hurricane. 

I wasn't referring to nuking a hurricane. That in itself is ridiculous. I was referring to the discussion that delved more into storm manipulation by whatever technological means available. There would be consequences and liability issues.

Just to be clear, I am not saying we yet have any such capability / technological advancement to manipulate a hurricane or large weather system. It's merely speculation within the confines of a hypothetical what if scenario. The cloud seeding projects in the past might still be all we've managed to experiment with any success or failure.

24 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

I wasn't referring to nuking a hurricane. That in itself is ridiculous. I was referring to the discussion that delved more into storm manipulation by whatever technological means available. There would be consequences and liability issues.

Just to be clear, I am not saying we yet have any such capability / technological advancement to manipulate a hurricane or large weather system. It's merely speculation within the confines of a hypothetical what if scenario. The cloud seeding projects in the past might still be all we've managed to experiment with any success or failure.

I remember reading an article where some scientist dropped some powder or spray from a plane. Supposedly it actually dried up a doppler thunderstorm.

We still cloud seed. It's done in drought areas to attempt to produce precipitation and to reduce hail size. You can see the planes flying during the summer in southern Alberta when large hail is expected. 

I don't know how any of that would scale to a larger system, probably not well...

http://www.wmiradar.com/ahsp/index.php?time=current_run&type=still&model=wrf&var=maxmap2_meanhail

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Windspeed said:

I've been reading about climate engineering on Mars, we even have a CO2->O2 conversion device on the way over there.  With accelerated climate induced sea level rise as well as climate induced forest fires, sooner or later we're going to take a stab at climate engineering on Earth again.  I dont believe we'll meet the IPCC limits set (especially by 2030) so something additional will need to be done to offset the damage we've already caused to the planet and are continuing to cause.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

We still cloud seed. It's done in drought areas to attempt to produce precipitation and to reduce hail size. You can see the planes flying during the summer in southern Alberta when large hail is expected. 

I don't know how any of that would scale to a larger system, probably not well...

http://www.wmiradar.com/ahsp/index.php?time=current_run&type=still&model=wrf&var=maxmap2_meanhail

how much energy would we need to simulate the kind of shear that you need to keep a TC from strengthening?  Simulating natural processes that already do these things would be a way.

2 hours ago, Windspeed said:

some studies have shown that offshore wind farms could weaken an oncoming TC by some amount (20% I think?)  We now have them in NY.....

It would seem the ice caps melting would cool the ocean enough to prevent major storms. But it doesn't seem to be working.

My question is; if hurricanes are the natural way to keep a temperature balance in the oceans, what happens when they stop working? Is there a phenomenon we as humans may have never experienced around the corner that will do the trick?

Jupiter has a big ol' storm blowing around it that has been around as long as I remember...