Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Land Purchase

PhineasC

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Thanks for all the input guys. We just signed a deal for a place in Randolph, NH! We settle end of May so I will be in place for next winter. Looking forward to it.

The Randolph observer for cocorahs generally reports the most snowfall in NH, except when it's SNE storms.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Thanks for all the input guys. We just signed a deal for a place in Randolph, NH! We settle end of May so I will be in place for next winter. Looking forward to it.

Congrats Phin. Excellent spot....within 20 minutes to Wildcat, half an hour to Bretton Woods, and 45 min to either Sunday River, Cannon, or Attitash....or Cranmore.

You are now likely the snowiest location for a home on this forum. Prob prob a 175ish average. I think Jspin is in the 160 range. Mitch might be close...maybe 150ish?

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Congrats, beautiful location. Best hiking spot in the east. You have a house all set? I wasn't sure whether you were just looking at land to build on.

9 minutes ago, uncletim said:

Serious views is right, in Randolph. Enjoy!

I was telling Phin in a PM that the Presidentials are really one of a kind in the east. They remind me of views out west staring out at more imposing peaks than you typically find in the east. But the Presidentials are pretty amazing to look at. Even though I've been up there a ton of times, I'm always awed when I see them....very picturesque.

Looking forward to discussing the pro/cons of wildcat, BW, Black Mtn, Sunday River ski pass with you. Enjoy hiking Adams/Madison as well as the Carters from the Gorham/Randolph area. Congrats.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was telling Phin in a PM that the Presidentials are really one of a kind in the east. They remind me of views out west staring out at more imposing peaks than you typically find in the east. But the Presidentials are pretty amazing to look at. Even though I've been up there a ton of times, I'm always awed when I see them....very picturesque.

I have often felt this same comparison. The northern peaks of the Presidentials are different from any other mountains in the east in sheer mass. They have the same complexity of features that one finds out west. The massive buttressing ridges are themselves larger than most eastern mountains. If I had to pick any view to walk out to every day, it would be from Randolph Hill.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The scale of the Presidential's has always been what gets me.  You don't get that anywhere else in the east.

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

The scale of the Presidential's has always been what gets me.  You don't get that anywhere else in the east.

I always get a kick out of how when you drive south from Berlin, even though you are several miles away, you have to dip your head a bit to see the tops through the windshield. At least I do...

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

For a mass of mountain, the Presidentials are definitely tops, IMO.  The NC Apps are taller but are in the midst of 3,000' plateaus and also wooded, so don't seem as impressive.  But for a single peak I'd take Katahdin viewed from the south, as it's 4,000' higher than anything between eye and peak.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

For a mass of mountain, the Presidentials are definitely tops, IMO.  The NC Apps are taller but are in the midst of 3,000' plateaus and also wooded, so don't seem as impressive.  But for a single peak I'd take Katahdin viewed from the south, as it's 4,000' higher than anything between eye and peak.

It was cloudy when we were there in February

Katahdin 2.jpg

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

But for a single peak I'd take Katahdin viewed from the south, as it's 4,000' higher than anything between eye and peak.

I love the northern Presidentials. King Ravine is spectacular. The RMC huts are very cool. Also, far less foot traffic than Ike, Monroe, et cetera. I had to laugh b/c Katahdin is tops, especially when you come into via chimney pond - as a friend of who had hiked all over West said, it's the most western of the east. 

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Best of luck with your new place.  As many have said already, it’s a great spot.  You’ll enjoy the accessibility to both NH and ME from there.  Great for 4 season leisure.

10 minutes ago, Angus said:

I love the northern Presidentials. King Ravine is spectacular. The RMC huts are very cool. Also, far less foot traffic than Ike, Monroe, et cetera. I had to laugh b/c Katahdin is tops, especially when you come into via chimney pond - as a friend of who had hiked all over West said, it's the most western of the east. 

IMO, the Knife Edge is the most acrophobia-inducing blazed trail in the east, though I've not seen more than a tiny fraction of trail miles in the region.  The trail up the cliff edge on Kineo is right up there, but all one needs there is to walk away from the cliff.  Knife Edge doesn't offer that escape. 

Knife Edge is unique from anything in NE - I took my son across when he was 14 - kept grabbing him. He was not happy. Same protective instinct when he summited King's Peak in UT when he was 11 and he kept looking over a several thousand foot sheer drop.  I don't remember being intimidated on Kineo but I was with my wife so we were probably well back from the edge of the trail!

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Best of luck with your new place.  As many have said already, it’s a great spot.  You’ll enjoy the accessibility to both NH and ME from there.  Great for 4 season leisure.

Thanks! We are stoked. Can't wait for this damn quarantine to lift so we can start moving in. I have some experience with mountain living from Oakland, MD, but Randolph is a whole other level. 

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks for your help, man. You definitely guided me to this spot by telling me the snow holes to avoid! 

Many years ago the old AMC Maine Mountain Guide had a line warning not to try to take shortcuts to the bottom of the Knife Edge; some had tried to do so, it stated, "with unfortunate results"...

6 hours ago, Angus said:

Knife Edge is unique from anything in NE - I took my son across when he was 14 - kept grabbing him. He was not happy. Same protective instinct when he summited King's Peak in UT when he was 11 and he kept looking over a several thousand foot sheer drop.  I don't remember being intimidated on Kineo but I was with my wife so we were probably well back from the edge of the trail!

4 hours ago, uncletim said:

IMHO one of the other great mountain views in NE is the view of the Bigelow Range from Eustis Ridge, north of Sugarloaf. Not as massive as Katahdin or the Presidentials, but really striking relief over Flagstaff Lake.

Yeah they are nice. They don’t look quite as “big” as the Presidentials but they are pretty jagged. Some of those views of Avery peak and little bigalow have that western flavor. Others are correct about Katahdin though its s little different from my description since it’s a single mountain...but still a western feel. Katahdin reminds me a little of Humphries Peak in Arizona. Kind of just sticking out on its own compared to the smaller hills surrounding it. Both are near 4K elevation gains.