• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mtroyalspa
    Newest Member
    mtroyalspa

Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

23 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

First of all it is extremely difficult to get an appointment to receive the vaccine. Second yes it’s like Halloween at 1600 Pennsylvania ave. It’s extremely scary how they’re not concerned at all with the repercussions this will cause...for years...

Most politicians don't care partly because so many of them are of an advanced age.  They won't be around in 20 years to deal with the fallout...and they also know that the reelection rate for incumbents is high.  Many of them are guaranteed a job for as long as they want it because voters elect the same people and then complain when nothing changes.  Kicking the can down the road and letting another generation deal with the mess is something our "leaders" are great at...and that goes for both parties.  I'm not making a partisan statement here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My dads tenants haven't paid rent in over a year and hes short almost $20k. The stim package includes rental assistance but only if the tenant applies for it. If my dad changes the locks and kicks them out he gets charged a misdemeanor. His lawyer said there is nothing he can do. The tenants in his apartment don't care at all, they are not going to put forth any effort to get the rental assistance to help my dad out. They have big TVS and xboxs being mailed to their house nearly every week. My dad still has a mortgage to pay. Its unfair. 

It just disgusts me how vile some human beings are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Exactly.  That's the part so many forget...or maybe they simply don't care.  Not everyone who owns property is rich and they also have obligations that have to be met.  Individual landlords like your dad are getting killed.  It's a vicious cycle.  This might sound harsh but it's almost becoming too easy to be a deadbeat in this society.  If you get bailed out all the time, what are the consequences of not contributing to society and putting more of a burden on others?  It will eventually get to a point where more and more people decide that the toil is no longer worth it if most of their income is withheld to fund social programs.  When the takers outnumber the makers, society is in deep trouble.  

You see this new "training" in America's education system. Oh? You didn't do anything and failed? Blame the teacher! Here's a cookie for your trouble, child...oh, and an A.

No. Consequences. Any more.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You see this new "training" in America's education system. Oh? You didn't do anything and failed? Blame the teacher! Here's a cookie for your trouble, child...oh, and an A.

No. Consequences. Any more.

The unfortunate, uncomfortable truth. It's going to collapse one day, perhaps sooner than any of us realize.  A system with zero accountability at any level is doomed to failure.  So sad.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone nervous about the massive amount of government money being sent out like its nothing? You don't have to pay rent/mortgage ever again, you get unemployment forever, and free college/health insurance in the near future? I'll never have to work again, more time for storm chasing! :lol:

The federal government increased the money supply by about $2.3 trillion over the next six years with the 2017 tax cuts (effectively deficit spending, since they are offset by hypothetical increases down the line that are so politically toxic that they will never happen), along with two stimulus packages in 2020 that totaled about $2.3 trillion. And that’s not counting the $3.5 trillion in pure deficit spending between 2017 and pre-pandemic FY2020.

It’s absolutely bonkers that people who aren’t actually rich look the other way when the wealthiest 1% back up their armored trucks to the US Treasury so the politicians can fill them up with public money, but wail and rend their garments and pray for the future when a pittance is used to help regular people.

Are there scumbags out there who cheat the public trust so they can get some extra food stamps and rent support? Yeah, just like there are scumbags whose have nothing to offer society but whose parents give them money for all the cocaine they want and buy up every politician who is for sale and end up lording it over the rest of us. I’m not the slightest bit interested in sticking it to all the people who have had every break go against them since they were born into this world just because a handful of small time crooks run obvious scams.

I don’t know where you’re getting this “never have to pay rent again” BS - the eviction moratorium requires an attestation that you can’t afford to pay rent because of COVID related job loss but it doesn’t wipe debts clean. That money is still owed. And landlords have rejected false attestations and won,  but the problem who can get get to move in when the tenants with money aren’t renting cheap housing. And actual small-holdings landlords (less than 10 units) get full protection for credit worthiness and against foreclosure. And what the hell is wrong with free college or health insurance? My parents went to college in the day when it was so cheap that it was basically free. And my wife’s parents had their health insurance premiums paid by her dad’s employer, with no copays. We have been told that we can’t have “free” things (which we actually work and pay taxes for) by people who have far more money than us, and took what we used to get so they can have a fourth house or a third yacht. Maybe you’re a rich guy, lucky you, but if you’re not, don’t be a chump.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My dads tenants haven't paid rent in over a year and hes short almost $20k. The stim package includes rental assistance but only if the tenant applies for it. If my dad changes the locks and kicks them out he gets charged a misdemeanor. His lawyer said there is nothing he can do. The tenants in his apartment don't care at all, they are not going to put forth any effort to get the rental assistance to help my dad out. They have big TVS and xboxs being mailed to their house nearly every week. My dad still has a mortgage to pay. Its unfair. 

It sounds like he has the world’s worst tenants. How do you even need big TVs sent to you every week?

Bad tenants aside, does he have more than 10 rental properties? If not, he qualifies for mortgage relief. And if his lawyer doesn’t know that or can’t challenge a false attestation, he’s a bad lawyer.

6 hours ago, WNash said:

It sounds like he has the world’s worst tenants. How do you even need big TVs sent to you every week?

Bad tenants aside, does he have more than 10 rental properties? If not, he qualifies for mortgage relief. And if his lawyer doesn’t know that or can’t challenge a false attestation, he’s a bad lawyer.

I was exaggerating on the TVS. But point be made they are making quite a bit of money on UI and still not able to make rent. They are probably making more on UI then when they were working. He has one duplex in the city. He does not qualify. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, WNash said:

The federal government increased the money supply by about $2.3 trillion over the next six years with the 2017 tax cuts (effectively deficit spending, since they are offset by hypothetical increases down the line that are so politically toxic that they will never happen), along with two stimulus packages in 2020 that totaled about $2.3 trillion. And that’s not counting the $3.5 trillion in pure deficit spending between 2017 and pre-pandemic FY2020.

It’s absolutely bonkers that people who aren’t actually rich look the other way when the wealthiest 1% back up their armored trucks to the US Treasury so the politicians can fill them up with public money, but wail and rend their garments and pray for the future when a pittance is used to help regular people.

Are there scumbags out there who cheat the public trust so they can get some extra food stamps and rent support? Yeah, just like there are scumbags whose have nothing to offer society but whose parents give them money for all the cocaine they want and buy up every politician who is for sale and end up lording it over the rest of us. I’m not the slightest bit interested in sticking it to all the people who have had every break go against them since they were born into this world just because a handful of small time crooks run obvious scams.

I don’t know where you’re getting this “never have to pay rent again” BS - the eviction moratorium requires an attestation that you can’t afford to pay rent because of COVID related job loss but it doesn’t wipe debts clean. That money is still owed. And landlords have rejected false attestations and won,  but the problem who can get get to move in when the tenants with money aren’t renting cheap housing. And actual small-holdings landlords (less than 10 units) get full protection for credit worthiness and against foreclosure. And what the hell is wrong with free college or health insurance? My parents went to college in the day when it was so cheap that it was basically free. And my wife’s parents had their health insurance premiums paid by her dad’s employer, with no copays. We have been told that we can’t have “free” things (which we actually work and pay taxes for) by people who have far more money than us, and took what we used to get so they can have a fourth house or a third yacht. Maybe you’re a rich guy, lucky you, but if you’re not, don’t be a chump.

This was only the case after Dec 31st...There was no letter needed before that date. Last years rent is a complete loss. the eviction moratorium has been extended until May 31st. The tenants haven't written anything and they are still unable to get evicted. I grew up poorer than probably anyone on these forums and I am by no means rich at all. My parents both made min. wage and my dad worked 12 hour days for 30 years to get promoted in his company and get to where he is today. I grew up in the city where people hated working and stayed at home all day on the porch living off the system.  I'm not a fan of that. To each their own. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WNash said:

All the government spending didn't really help the small guy though. That's also my point. Check out this article. Billionaires got richer during COVID during anytime in our history. We need a completely new tax structure for the rich. Has anyones wealth here grown 50%+ during covid? I can say it hasn't for me. 

https://inequality.org/great-divide/updates-billionaire-pandemic/

Billionaires-table-Feb.2021-300x246.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WNash said:

It sounds to me like he has the US average tenant.  

I’m genuinely perplexed by those who lean hard to either side of the political spectrum.  Thinking that most people just need a little boost to get past a little bad luck is ignorant and blatantly ignores the fact that most people will do as little as possible in most circumstances.  It is often highly educated people who land on the “left” side of the spectrum which makes no sense to me.  

Then you have the people far on the “right” who think that lower taxes on business owners (i.e. “the rich”) will translate to significantly more jobs and a more robust economy.  The majority of those rich business owners got where they are by squeezing maximum production out of a minimum number of employees and maximizing the profit.  Lower tax rates allow them to keep more of that profit, until Biden increases the upper income tax rates again.  I’m not saying business owners do it wrong, I’m just saying they are primarily motivated by putting money in their pocket. Maybe a handful use that money to expand when they otherwise wouldn’t have, but I believe most established business owners just enjoy another BMW. 

It’s kind of funny, actually.  There is a pretty clear parallel between people anywhere on the income spectrum.  Most people try to minimize effort (called either work or expense) while trying to maximize return (called either government benefits or profit). 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

I’m genuinely perplexed by those who lean hard to either side of the political spectrum.  Thinking that most people just need a little boost to get past a little bad luck is ignorant and blatantly ignores the fact that most people will do as little as possible in most circumstances.  It is often highly educated people who land on the “left” side of the spectrum which makes no sense to me.  

Then you have the people far on the “right” who think that lower taxes on business owners (i.e. “the rich”) will translate to significantly more jobs and a more robust economy.  The majority of those rich business owners got where they are by squeezing maximum production out of a minimum number of employees and maximizing the profit.  Lower tax rates allow them to keep more of that profit, until Biden increases the upper income tax rates again.  I’m not saying business owners do it wrong, I’m just saying they are primarily motivated by putting money in their pocket. Maybe a handful use that money to expand when they otherwise wouldn’t have, but I believe most established business owners just enjoy another BMW. 

It’s kind of funny, actually.  There is a pretty clear parallel between people anywhere on the income spectrum.  Most people try to minimize effort (called either work or expense) while trying to maximize return (called either government benefits or profit). 

Yeah he has had issues with other tenants in the past even without a pandemic paying rent. The law definitely favors the tenant vs the landlord. People think landlords have tons of money, but those with 1-2 properties are usually pretty thin on liquid capital as they have 2-3 mortgages to pay for. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Someone had a similar quote in a book that I once read...most employees do just enough work so they won’t get fired and most employers pay just enough so the workers won’t quit...but I still stand by my belief that a system that doesn’t demand enough accountability on any level is doomed to fail.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Someone had a similar quote in a book that I once read...most employees do just enough work so they won’t get fired and most employers pay just enough so he workers won’t quit...but I still stand by my belief that a system that doesn’t demand enough accountability on any level is doomed to fail.

I agree 100%.  Accountability is in a downward spiral in the US, starting in Kindergarten, and in most cases even earlier at home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cases went up this week due to a 50k case drop yesterday from Missouri from antigen testing. 

Isn’t it weird how there’s always a big data dump right around the time we see significant declines? It’s almost like some people want to see this continue for as long as possible and maximize fear in the population. 

41 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

I agree 100%.  Accountability is in a downward spiral in the US, starting in Kindergarten, and in most cases even earlier at home.

The breakdown of the family unit in my opinion is the biggest issue our nation faces going forward. 

• Like 3

Biden just announced a request for another 100 million J&J doses. My wifes best friend got that one. Her arm was very sore for 24 hours and had the worst headache she ever had for almost 2 days. Anyone else here that got vaccinated with any issues? 

Starting the process of making my spare garage a little gym lol This was a "small" gift from the in-laws to start it off..I also have a stationary bike that will be joining the room for now.. Time to lose that covid-19 weight gain lol When it's consistently warm out I'm hoping to start taking some bike rides to Ontario which is about 5 miles away..

PXL_20210310_153718086.jpg.0c47e2a6d03e5

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Biden just announced a request for another 100 million J&J doses. My wifes best friend got that one. Her arm was very sore for 24 hours and had the worst headache she ever had for almost 2 days. Anyone else here that got vaccinated with any issues? 

I got mine this past Sunday at UB, the Pfizer one.  My upper arm was really sore for almost exactly 24 hours then totally fine, that was it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cuomo might not be governor for too much longer. 

I never liked him. Way too arrogant.  Who writes a book congratulating himself on how he handled a crisis when the crisis is nowhere close to being over? It’s like a football coach telling you how he won the Super Bowl at midseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Gamestop almost at $300 again lol 

I had a lucky GME trade today...bought at $241 yesterday and let it ride o/night. This a.m. I put in a Limit sell order for $305 which got filled late morning.  Then it goes to $330+ and I'm sort of kicking myself when I went to the store...only to get an alert that it was cratering to $180 and halted at least twice.  Then I felt like a genius! LOL.  I see it has since bounced, was back at $268.  You know any parabolic rise is going to have a violent end... no DIAMOND HANDS here. ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cuomo might not be governor for too much longer. 

Remember when he was yowling that he needed 50,000 Ventilators, STAT!  #GoodTimes

• Haha 2

I went to funeral for my wifes great aunt on Sunday who was 98 years old. She died from complications from 2nd dose of vaccine in the nursing home. Shes a twin and her sister didn't get the vaccine and is doing just fine. She was completely healthy as well. Obviously covid probably would have killed her too if she contracted it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I went to funeral for my wifes great aunt on Sunday who was 98 years old. She died from complications from 2nd dose of vaccine in the nursing home. Shes a twin and her sister didn't get the vaccine and is doing just fine. She was completely healthy as well. Obviously covid probably would have killed her too if she contracted it. 

So sad. This is why I’m still nervous about getting  the vaccine. Who knows now I’ll react to it? If not getting it means I can’t go to games or concerts, I’m starting to feel OK with that. I try to do everything I can to keep my immune system strong. Regular exercise, vitamins, healthy eating, proper sleep, etc. I’m honestly more comfortable doing those things and wearing the mask than I am with the vaccine.