• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

That bit of rain to the west has generated another severe t'storm warning here - seems a little cool for that, might be stronger down in Delaware. Hearing thunder to the west-south-west now. Interesting...

Also, unusual to have (two) severe warnings in the afternoon and a freeze warning for that night. Pretty wild!

Eta, that 2nd batch turned out to be just a cool shower. 51F currently.

3 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Good pic too!

Thanks.  Took some shots with my Nikon as well for a pano.  Hopefully it's as good as the cell phone.  lol

Side note: It's always fun with how gustless (new word?) the winds are down here in this completely open space.  The outflow slams you and doesn't let up.  

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Thinking about covering some plants here with the freeze warning. Not as much fun as a BBQ, but at least it's sunny now!

Funny but the temp continues to go back up here.  Now up to 55.  I have lilacs with panicles expanded but closed buds. I am so over covering them (did that when they were baby plants).  One of them tends to alternate-bloom and it is covered with panicles this year. I am hoping that whatever it goes down to as a low, it doesn't stay there for 4 or more hours.  I know 28 and below is considered a "hard freeze" (which I think has its own NWS warning product), so hoping it doesn't eventually get progged for that, prompting a change to a hard freeze warning.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Funny but the temp continues to go back up here.  Now up to 55.  I have lilacs with panicles expanded but closed buds. I am so over covering them (did that when they were baby plants).  One of them tends to alternate-bloom and it is covered with panicles this year. I am hoping that whatever it goes down to as a low, it doesn't stay there for 4 or more hours.  I know 28 and below is considered a "hard freeze" (which I think has its own NWS warning product), so hoping it doesn't eventually get progged for that, prompting a change to a hard freeze warning.

I'm torn as well, but we've got 2 white lilacs, 2 blue wisterias, and a Japanese lilac that we planted about 3 years ago, and they all have flowers almost ready to open up for the first time. We've been waiting patiently (lol) for this, so we'll probably cover them just to be safe, even though the forecast low here is 32.

Just now, KamuSnow said:

I'm torn as well, but we've got 2 white lilacs, 2 blue wisterias, and a Japanese lilac that we planted about 3 years ago, and they all have flowers almost ready to open up for the first time. We've been waiting patiently (lol) for this, so we'll probably cover them just to be safe, even though the forecast low here is 32.

Yeah if you have young plants and can do so, covering might be prudent.  Although I know in the past whenever I did end up covering mine, several times it ended up getting a bit windy the afternoons that I covered them (CAA before the winds went calm overnight like is happening right now) and I was fighting to make sure that the covers were secure and didn't blow off before it got dark. :yikes:  I did a major pruning on my earliest-blooming lilac last year, so it doesn't look like it formed any blooms this year (pretty much expected).  The other 2 are normally May-blooming but are weeks ahead of where they should be due to the mild winter.

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah if you have young plants and can do so, covering might be prudent.  Although I know in the past whenever I did end up covering mine, several times it ended up getting a bit windy the afternoons that I covered them (CAA before the winds went calm overnight like is happening right now) and I was fighting to make sure that the covers were secure and didn't blow off before it got dark. :yikes:  I did a major pruning on my earliest-blooming lilac last year, so it doesn't look like it formed any blooms this year (pretty much expected).  The other 2 are normally May-blooming but are weeks ahead of where they should be due to the mild winter.

Tonight the winds are supposed to stay up a bit, so if it stayed at 33 or above we'd probably be okay. Maybe I'll set my alarm for 3 am and check the temp...nah, easier to do in the daylight.

We have some frost blankets that we'll tack down to the ground so that some ground heat can rise up and be trapped inside the blankets. That's the concept anyway, lol.

Just now, KamuSnow said:

Tonight the winds are supposed to stay up a bit, so if it stayed at 33 or above we'd probably be okay. Maybe I'll set my alarm for 3 am and check the temp...nah, easier to do in the daylight.

We have some frost blankets that we'll tack down to the ground so that some ground heat can rise up and be trapped inside the blankets. That's the concept anyway, lol.

Sounds like a plan.  The rain will have helped too because the wet ground will take longer to radiate away the heat than if it hadn't rained and the ground was dry!

26 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Sounds like a plan.  The rain will have helped too because the wet ground will take longer to radiate away the heat than if it hadn't rained and the ground was dry!

58 and sunny here now - seems counter intuitive to do this, but Mt. Holly is sticking to their guns regarding temps tonight.