Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January 2019/20 Winter Speculation Thread

AMZ8990

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

I know right.  A warming trend in relation to temps that are already record highs!  If there is ever a time for the Euro/EPS to be wrong...about right now would be good timing!  

The wetness seems to be the common thread through out all of this. Things are still running high here north of Nashville, we need a good 30 days of dry cold weather but I do not see any of that on the horizon.

Something I have been watching...the forecast trends at 500 on TropicalTidbits.  Pretty interesting.

MJO looks less than favorable today(probably shouldn't us the real adjective).  The Euro does loop back into the COD after warm phases and then it maybe it tries to go back again?  LOL!!!   Anyway, if you want some hope...the 12z GFS is serving it up.  

Just now, weathertree4u said:

The wetness seems to be the common thread through out all of this. Things are still running high here north of Nashville, we need a good 30 days of dry cold weather but I do not see any of that on the horizon.

Yeah.  You know it was crazy how dry it got IMBY during September.  My yard still has places that are just cooked.  Other than that, reasonably good rains.  A lot of my fall greens are still alive...kale, turnips, Brussel sprouts, lettuce, and mustard.  They were planted in extreme heat, have been snowed on twice, have seen the teens for temps, and 90s.  Hardy plants!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12z EPS control drops an all out trough into the middle third of the country and is heading east at the end of the run.  The GFS has done something like this for three straight runs.  Makes me think we are going there is more potential for variability than the ensembles project in the LR.  It is one of these deals that JB mentioned in his video a few days ago.  He state rarely does a cold air mass go straight down the spine of the Rockies.  As it heads south it usually cuts west or east of the mountain chain.  When you watch these small vortices drop out of AK, about 60% of the time they cut west.  But if one cuts east of the Rockies, it spread eastward and deepens the trough.  Something to watch.  Probably a slam dunk warm wx pattern...but once in a blue moon, a player misses a dunk.   

If you look at the 500mb 48hr forecast trend maps on the GEFS they show lowering heights over the middle of the country to our area and rising heights generally along the west coast. So while there still may be 500mb anomalies in the places that we don't want them, the trend is for them to be less extreme on subsequent runs as they come closer to reality. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

If you look at the 500mb 48hr forecast trend maps on the GEFS they show lowering heights over the middle of the country to our area and rising heights generally along the west coast. So while there still may be 500mb anomalies in the places that we don't want them, the trend is for them to be less extreme on subsequent runs as they come closer to reality. 

What I can't tell is if they are just backing-off what would have been an extreme pattern or if there are some colder solutions working in.    I am really pulling for a pattern flip just so some of the new folks can see one go down.  Unlikely...but weren't they all when it was darkest?

• Like 1

This is what I don't buy.  Go to Tropical Tidbits.  Go to the North Pole view of the 12z GEFS.  Switch to 500 heights anomaly.  Loop it.  See all of the global wave activity until just under d10.  Then it is like the brakes are put on the entire northern hemispheric system.  It literally freezes.  Just does not look realistic.  Is it model feedback or do we see the entire hemispheric pattern lock-up?

Glad you mentioned that. The EPS looks that way too. 

If you run the EPS fast, it sort of looks like it's glitching. Not weathermodels, but the pattern lol. Maybe the whole NWP H5 pattern has reached a point where it can't get any worse and model attempts to project a worsening pattern are about to have a critical error?

giphy.gif

So, on this run we fight off the ridge out to 300...It is the GFS for sure,  but very good run in terms of how important it is to have the cold cross into the front range.  It will the spread east.  If it cuts west it digs that pocket trough out West.  Only need that EPO ridge nudged eastward about 300 miles from 18z and it forced a second shot eastward.

Just now, John1122 said:

It looks like a pattern that's extremely changeable, no sustained torch or cold through mid month. It will be AN but because the AN days will be very much AN. 

See, that is what is so frustrating with the ensembles.  They just stop the entire hemispheric pattern around Jan 10th.  The preceding pattern has not been one that is nearly stationary for the entire Western Hemisphere.   I think the key is to get that western displaced easter Pac ridge...budged eastward to where its influence is such that cold is at least forced down the front range.  I can just about tell if the pattern is going to be seasonal or a torch based on those little vortices spinning south out of Alaska.  If there is room between the eastern Pac ridge and the coast, they go there and build a monster ridge here.  If they get pushed across the mountains, trough here.  Sounds crazy after watching a locked pattern for several weeks, but the pushing back of the eastern ridge in time is probably depending on something as razor sharp as that.

9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

See, that is what is so frustrating with the ensembles.  They just stop the entire hemispheric pattern around Jan 10th.  The preceding pattern has not been one that is nearly stationary for the entire Western Hemisphere.   I think the key is to get that western displaced easter Pac ridge...budged eastward to where its influence is such that cold is at least forced down the front range.  I can just about tell if the pattern is going to be seasonal or a torch based on those little vortices spinning south out of Alaska.  If there is room between the eastern Pac ridge and the coast, they go there and build a monster ridge here.  If they get pushed across the mountains, trough here.  Sounds crazy after watching a locked pattern for several weeks, but the pushing back of the eastern ridge in time is probably depending on something as razor sharp as that.

If we could get that EPO ridging 600 miles east and get it to orient S to N and get roided up like it does, we would be having below 0 weather. 

6 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

The very end of the GEFS has much AN heights in most of AK with that trough underneath.  I suspect that trough would get kicked eastward if real.  Keep that eastern pac ridge pushing east as a trend.

Something has to get this pattern out of here, like everyone, I would like to see some snow but starting to really get concerned regarding the amount of rainfall being modeled for the area over the next few weeks.

Don't know if I've ever seen two pieces of energy from such different places phase nearly overhead. 

giphy.gif

If any of us can get this upper low to pass over head, could be some fun lapse rates and dynamics. 

Yeah, just saw that Nashville already has flood warnings and advisories in addition to the nearly valley wide flood watches, so that atmospheric river isn't promising:

giphy.gif

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic