Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

13 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I think the big thing to remember from the 18z Euro is that we still don't really know how the version of this model performs. It only goes out to 90 hrs or so and is very new. Similar to how I put more stock into the 00z and 12z runs of the GFS and NAM. Not sure if there is any validity to what i just said, so take it for what it is worth

That's a good point.  I really don't know much about these off-hour runs.  However, the 6Z continued the 0Z movement which ran into 12Z.  For the 18Z to go back the other way makes me a tad nervous.  Perhaps we won't like what we'll see at 0Z, or maybe it's nothing.

Here are the last two runs compared:

eurocompare.png.d12d7b0d5e278215e7d01aa1327245a0.png

You can see the gradient has moved up into southern Allegheny.  Of course, the snow isn't entirely finished in the bottom run, but it's probably done for our area.

Just now, jwilson said:

That's a good point.  I really don't know much about these off-hour runs.  However, the 6Z continued the 0Z movement which ran into 12Z.  For the 18Z to go back the other way makes me a tad nervous.  Perhaps we won't like what we'll see at 0Z, or maybe it's nothing.

Also a good point... Hopefully the answer is nothing and we can get a little more southen trend. Id just feel more comfortable with it further south. More room to for when it undoubtedly comes back to the north. Time to break out the detour signs again tonight? They worked well last night. We all woke up happy

• Like 1

0Z NAM - still at range, mind you, so somewhat limited utility - has the primary low crossing through Kentucky.  That's too far north.  Huge WAA surge in the end.

There would be a snow to rain to light snow scenario.  Not a great solution, pretty much blends the GFS and Euro.  Unfortunately, we basically need all Euro.

you guys are wishcasting.  you know the WTOD overperforms.  These models are screaming SWPA screwjob
I said a couple of days ago that if I was a betting man, I'd bet that the WTOD would get us yet again. I haven't changed that opinion, but I guess seeing the Euro hammer us has given some hope for us to cling on to. If it's starting to tick back north then that'll be it. Another slopfest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So im still breaking down the NAM.  AGC goes no warmer than 32° surface temp the entire time. The thing that is the most maddening about this is that the NAM warms to 1°C at 850. 1°... Its crazy that 1° could keep us from a pretty epic snowfall for the area and plunge us into the mix. 

25 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Fing A. AGC is always the pivot point. It's crazy how consistent that idea is.

3 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

So im still breaking down the NAM.  AGC goes no warmer than 32° surface temp the entire time. The thing that is the most maddening about this is that the NAM warms to 1°C at 850. 1°... Its crazy that 1° could keep us from a pretty epic snowfall for the area and plunge us into the mix. 

Definitely too close for comfort at the surface, but especially at 850.

I would prefer to see that 850 low nudged further south, to add a more easterly component, thus slowing the warming.

7 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Unfortunately, I have to think cwc is correct.  Anything remotely borderline and we'll probably lose the fight to rain.  Now I haven't been living near the city long, but I'm very familiar with the warm tongue, and I don't see a fresh source of cold air to keep it at bay (unless there's something I'm missing).

If the primary tracks on a line from Kentucky to WV, we're probably warm.  If it goes through Tennessee and waits until Virginia to pivot or transfers to the coast, we may be okay.

I honestly don't think anyone here has been "wishcasting", btw. We all know by now the odds are stacked against us with storms like this. We all know how often that WTOD has ruined storms for us....especially where I'm at. I just think with the Euro giving us that great solution for several runs, it was worth taking seriously since it's usually regarded as one of the top models. We've seen it on it's own before and others cave to it. That being said, with a setup like this, it's hard to ignore history.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Btw, I wouldn’t mind a sleet storm. Haven’t had one of those in ages. Just not freezing rain or plain rain.

Feb ‘07 had a storm that was like 7” and a pile of sleet. It was a pain, but not horrible in terms of witnessing a decent “event”.

Obviously though, there were thoughts of what could have been. If I recall correctly, it was well forecasted so not like forecasted totals got ripped in half. 

Just now, Burghblizz said:

Feb ‘07 had a storm that was like 7” and a pile of sleet. It was a pain, but not horrible in terms of witnessing a decent “event”.

Obviously though, there were thoughts of what could have been. If I recall correctly, it was well forecasted so not like forecasted totals got ripped in half. 

I was at college at slippery rock, and we even mixed there. A great example of how hard it is to hold onto all snow.

Just now, north pgh said:

GFS is north =BAD

Canadian holds=GOOD 

We are still 2+ days out and not locked in. I think tomorrow they all come together and we can end this misery.

Tomorrow the system comes ashore and we get some sampling of the system. I think the 00z run tomorrow night is probably what the storm looks like.