Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

2 hours ago, jwilson said:

NWS updated map isn't all that different strangely.  Feels like they didn't push snow totals north enough, unless they expect more on the back end of things.

I think they are expecting a decent back end thump. That said....at some point it becomes a PR play, and stepping down totals plays better than wiping them completely out.

• Like 1

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
457 PM EST Sat Jan 19 2019

OHZ049-050-PAZ021-073-WVZ001-200600-
/O.CAN.KPBZ.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-190120T1500Z/
/O.EXB.KPBZ.WW.Y.0006.190120T0500Z-190120T1500Z/
Harrison-Jefferson-Allegheny-Westmoreland-Hancock-
Including the cities of Cadiz, Steubenville,
Pittsburgh Metro Area, Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington,
and Weirton

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 AM EST SUNDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

* WHAT...A wintry mix changing to all snow. Snow accumulation of 2
  to 4 inches and a light glaze of ice accumulation expected.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties.
  In Ohio, Harrison and Jefferson Counties. In West Virginia,
  Hancock County.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 10 AM EST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Use caution while
driving.

Please report snow or ice by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the
NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh

&&

$$

11 minutes ago, meatwad said:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA

OHZ049-050-PAZ021-073-WVZ001-200600-
/O.CAN.KPBZ.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-190120T1500Z/
/O.EXB.KPBZ.WW.Y.0006.190120T0500Z-190120T1500Z/
Harrison-Jefferson-Allegheny-Westmoreland-Hancock-
Including the cities of Cadiz, Steubenville,
Pittsburgh Metro Area, Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington,
and Weirton

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 AM EST SUNDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

* WHAT...A wintry mix changing to all snow. Snow accumulation of 2
  to 4 inches and a light glaze of ice accumulation expected.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties.
  In Ohio, Harrison and Jefferson Counties. In West Virginia,
  Hancock County.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 10 AM EST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Use caution while
driving.

Please report snow or ice by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the
NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh

&&

$$

We lead the league in winter storm warnings downgraded to winter weather advisories. :devilsmiley:

and we also lead the league in having the least amount of winter storm warnings. :devilsmiley:

21 minutes ago, north pgh said:

We lead the league in winter storm warnings downgraded to winter weather advisories. :devilsmiley:

and we also lead the league in having the least amount of winter storm warnings. :devilsmiley:

For some reason my WWA turned into a winter storm warning just now for 2-4” snow after midnight lol I’ll believe that when I see it and that’s hardly warning criteria

The euro may be king for other locations but it absolutely sh*t the bed for us on this one. The gfs gets a bad wrap but didn’t flinch.

Another thing I find curious is why Mets care about being reactionary. On Twitter they are getting blasted from basically everyone. Even their own semi-colleagues like hosts on the fan are just killing them. What is the big deal about changing your forecast. Why do you have to put out a consistent forecast that doesn’t change. The atmosphere isn’t static so why would a forecast have to be. One thing that definitely frustrates me as this will be referenced the next time we are in the crosshairs for a storm. Sorry for the rant, move to banter if need be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dj3 said:

The euro may be king for other locations but it absolutely sh*t the bed for us on this one. The gfs gets a bad wrap but didn’t flinch.

Another thing I find curious is why Mets care about being reactionary. On Twitter they are getting blasted from basically everyone. Even their own semi-colleagues like hosts on the fan are just killing them. What is the big deal about changing your forecast. Why do you have to put out a consistent forecast that doesn’t change. The atmosphere isn’t static so why would a forecast have to be. One thing that definitely frustrates me as this well be referenced the neft time we are in the crosshairs for a storm. Sorry for the rant, move to banter if need be.

I think part of this is on the General Public...

First, model runs that used to be our little secret on weather boards 10 years ago are now blasted everywhere. So they become points of discussion when they show big storms. 

People seem to understand the nature of thunderstorms and that they can be in the forecast, but hit the next town over. They don’t seem to understand that short distances make a difference with snow. They want a firm forecast. 

So given that fact, they want a forecast that lacks the nuance that some situations need. This one needed it. We all knew that.  It Should have been communicated that there was high potential for far different sensible weather with a small shift. I think the NWS discussions did that. But not many read those.

Ideally that is communicated and people understand that there are sometimes differences in confidence.

So that comes to your point....it those small shifts that make dramatic differences happen, then by all means change the forecast. Don’t step it down gradually. But it really starts with a consumer that understands the situation, and that just isn’t the case.

Maybe that becomes less of a factor of models get better. On one hand, it’s incredible that we know there was a big storm coming in the eastern US a week ago. On the other hand, it’s a damn shame they were this bad in the short term.

4 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I think part of this is on the General Public...

First, model runs that used to be our little secret on weather boards 10 years ago are now blasted everywhere. So they become points of discussion when they show big storms. 

People seem to understand the nature of thunderstorms and that they can be in the forecast, but hit the next town over. They don’t seem to understand that short distances make a difference with snow. They want a firm forecast. 

So given that fact, they want a forecast that lacks the nuance that some situations need. This one needed it. We all knew that.  It Should have been communicated that there was high potential for far different sensible weather with a small shift. I think the NWS discussions did that. But not many read those.

Ideally that is communicated and people understand that there are sometimes differences in confidence.

So that comes to your point....it those small shifts that make dramatic differences happen, then by all means change the forecast. Don’t step it down gradually. But it really starts with a consumer that understands the situation, and that just isn’t the case.

Maybe that becomes less of a factor of models get better. On one hand, it’s incredible that we know there was a big storm coming in the eastern US a week ago. On the other hand, it’s a damn shame they were this bad in the short term.

I agree, on a large scale it’s incredible how well this was modeled really from 7-10 days out. Focusing on our small region it’s incredible how a subtle shift completely changed our outcome. 

13 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Heavy sleet just changed to snow.. Now it's a race to see if we can get an inch or 2.. 

Woah...visibility just dropped to about a quarter of a mile in Bellevue.

NWS upped our point and click totals. Would be hilarious if we verified our 4 inches in the most backwards way possible.

Wrap up:  As of 7AM my totals are 1.08" total liquid, 3.0" new snow(0.20" melted liquid), 3.5" on ground.  Surprisingly with all the rain the existing snow pack held tough.  There was a quick snow burst around noon with a trace that melted quickly on hard surfaces.  The rest of the day had light misty rain until 4PM when steadier rain began and continued until the changeover to snow around 2:30 AM.  Temperature head steady at 34 until the cold arrived about 3AM.  The snow is drifting so the depth is an average of several places, could be +\-  a half inch.  Currently snow and blowing snow, gusty winds, at 18F.  This was a juicy storm, too bad it wasn't all snow.