Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Predict the Date: First Bonafide Nor'Easter of the Season

Rtd208

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Oh my bad, I thought you meant wave heights.  How surfable were the waters around here during the Dec 1992 noreaster?

I was way too young but from the story’s I have been told it was the storm of all time. I know a guy that surfed rockaway and said it was 20’ clean and ridable. He got injured after washing over a jetty. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was way too young but from the story’s I have been told it was the storm of all time. I know a guy that surfed rockaway and said it was 20’ clean and ridable. He got injured after washing over a jetty. 

one hell of a storm-I was in college-it sat off AC for several days-huge winds out of the east for days....surge up here was comparable to Sandy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s all about your perception: I think this fall has been incredible so far. Hurricane swell after hurricane swell. Followed by a solid nor’easter. A surfers dream. This one will not work out for New Jersey but there are spots on Long Island that will have world class waves this week. 

It's a nightmare for anglers and boaters, especially if you get seasick. Was off Breezy Point a few weeks ago and got the dry heaves, despite taking medication. One thing our fisheries regulators fail to understand is that anglers can't always get to the fish. We may only get a few days here and there where conditions are favorable. And then we are expected to throw all the fish back for....what? Conservation? No, these very fish are caught by commercial netters anyway. It's why I do more lake fishing these days. As for this one, it will send the fish packing for offshore early. We will be stuck fishing inshore for striped bass ( which are again declining ) that we won't be able to keep anyway. ( I actually don't keep them, or even fish much for them ).

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, LibertyBell said:

Oh my bad, I thought you meant wave heights.  How surfable were the waters around here during the Dec 1992 noreaster?

On 10/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

My grandmother who was 85 at the time and lived 8 houses from the beach in Belle Harbor said the ocean roared for 3 days straight. I wasn't living here at that point but I had friends that did and they said the surfing was epic, like life changing awesome. I only sort of felt a little bit jealous because I was in Lake Tahoe and we got about 20 feet of snow that month. Then we got another 20 feet the next month and I completely forgot about it :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

My grandmother who was 85 at the time and lived 8 houses from the beach in Belle Harbor said the ocean roared for 3 days straight. I wasn't living here at that point but I had friends that did and they said the surfing was epic, like life changing awesome. I only sort of felt a little bit jealous because I was in Lake Tahoe and we got about 20 feet of snow that month. Then we got another 20 feet the next month and I completely forgot about it :) 

We need a three day blizzard around here, a Dec 1992 storm that's all snow!  That's the one thing we haven't seen yet!