joxey
2018 Mid-Atlantic General Severe Discussion

Kmlwx

from the SPC outlook

the air mass will remain favorably unstable/buoyant to support
   damaging-wind-producing thunderstorms riding the frontal
   baroclinic/instability gradient, potentially all the way to the
   Chesapeake Bay region.

can any one guess what that could mean? ;) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

from the SPC outlook

the air mass will remain favorably unstable/buoyant to support
   damaging-wind-producing thunderstorms riding the frontal
   baroclinic/instability gradient, potentially all the way to the
   Chesapeake Bay region.

can any one guess what that could mean? ;) 

Calling for a derecho ;)

A long track MCS would be fun to watch... warm front needs to move north of us though

• Like 2

the storms (or should i say rainshowers) have been mostly spotty in my neck of the woods the last week.  still haven't had a good storm here this season.  also think we could use that forecasted deluge later in the week.  streams are running low.  this area could really use a widespread line of strong storms or moderate rainfall.

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Almost looks D-word-ish. But then again...it's the HRRR

True... but HRRR did do well I believe on the early morning rain and storms (remnant MCS?)  from range for Sunday morning...  was good for about at least 8-10 hour lead time.  But yes, HRRR does find a nut once in a while lol

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Almost looks D-word-ish. But then again...it's the HRRR

SPC all but said the word derecho in their outlook. I wouldn't rule it out, at least a long lived squall dropping south out of the PA/Ohio area.

Pitt WFO is doing a special sounding today. 

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

14z HRRR continues the beat of having a good MCS complex rolling through the region 21z-23z

yeah the HRRR would be area-wide raking this evening. Wonder if it has to do with capping on the NAM not being broken. Pretty stark difference. HRRR has been quite consistent...so one of them will bust pretty large. 

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The the HRRR line of doom is to be believed, then we need some sun within the next hour and a half...we are cool and stable as all get out right now.

Yeah - wedge is holding very well. 60s temps all the way well into VA. We need warmth stat. HRRR runs warm us into the mid to upper 70s. 

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

LOL...just like that we have sun and patches of blue sky in Gaithersburg. Maybe this'll work out? I'm not terribly confident in today.

Give it an hour or so and we should be clearing nicely IMO... and I'm not liking tomorrow with 0-6km shear looking abysmal of 20-25 kts

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

LOL...just like that we have sun and patches of blue sky in Gaithersburg. Maybe this'll work out? I'm not terribly confident in today.

Like I said before - all my eggs are in today since I won't be around tomorrow ;) 

So I'm hoping for a regionwide event. I'll be looking at GOES a lot today. 

Just now, yoda said:

Give it an hour or so and we should be clearing nicely IMO... and I'm not liking tomorrow with 0-6km shear looking abysmal of 20-25 kts

That would seem to indicate pulse storms mostly/multicell unless you get a nice cold pool to propagate a line.