Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

5 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

As depicted with the euro at 12 Z it was a half an inch of ice starting very late Wednesday or early Thursday, and ending up as 5 to 10 inches of snow from south east to Northwest in the Richmond metro area. One reason I think it’s possible is because we are so close to the event it’s not like it’s 7-8 days out.

We're in that range now too where the euro usually performs pretty well. 

• Like 1

The set up for Wednesday night into Friday reminds me of the President's Day II storm (February 14-18, 2003). I mean, it may not be an exact match, but it more or less FEELs like that scenario based on what I am seeing. 2003, like the upcoming event looks to be, was a long duration event in the form of different waves of moisture with the main event happening on the 16th. It was supposed to be a historic event with easily 12-18" widespread across C VA, especially just north of RIC. It started off as rain and went over to sleet, but it simply did not get cold enough aloft for the snow accumulations forecasted. The metro area only received 3-4" of sleet, which was enough to shut schools and make for a nice wintry scene, but it was a big bust and huge letdown for us back then. During the height of the event, RIC was at 20°F while PHF, only 60 miles SE, was 60°F so there was a lot of warm air nearby which makes sense why we never got rid of the sleet. We also got dry slotted while DCA went on to record 16" of snow. Eventually, the sleet made it up there, but by then the storm was winding down.

I am not saying a good snow (6"+) at RIC won't happen, but I remain skeptical given what I'm seeing.  Hoping the one early-middle of next week is better for us. But, that said, at least we have storms to track unlike the last couple winters. 

• Thanks 1

I would so take that and run.  Especially if we get just enough ice to make it stick around, not enough to cause power loss but enough to where sledding would be supreme.

Think the main thread is quiet as they root hard for the shift and also they were cracking down on banter.  However, the no banter rule is usually ignored for the chosen ones in that thread.

• Like 4