amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Christmas Storm IV

Cold Rain

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a question. Why doesn't the OP just be a blend of all the ensembles like the mean is? Wouldn't that make sense? =/

Well, that's what the ensemble mean is for.

The operational run can be looked at as simply the ensemble member initialized with the raw observed data. The other members generally are initialized with some perturbations added to the raw data. Also, the operational run may be higher-resolution than the other members in some cases (I believe this is true of the GFS), which in theory should make it the most valuable single member of the ensemble.

I'm taking a weenie stab at something here, so please don't crush me. but if you look at current national maps it appears our low is near the southern tip of Nevada. The euro initialized SW of there. So is the model supposed to, or capable of, matching current conditions? Otherwise it seems the Euro would be off by a couple hundred miles to begin with.

This was posted by Midlo in the main side model thread, actual conditions at 0z, looks closed

thanks. The euro didn't quite have a closed one on its init. panel. Now out to 36 and its almost closed in the TX Panhandle and theres already strong s/w coming into southern Minn or the Dakotas. I'm not sure if this is going to be the primary in the northern stream, but it certainly looks strong.

I'm taking a weenie stab at something here, so please don't crush me. but if you look at current national maps it appears our low is near the southern tip of Nevada. The euro initialized SW of there. So is the model supposed to, or capable of, matching current conditions? Otherwise it seems the Euro would be off by a couple hundred miles to begin with.

I was lookng at mosiac earlier, your right but the low looked like it is in the process of reforming south, was loosing its circular presentation on radar, weird in a way, then seemed to be reforming futher south. I was wondering if what I was seeing was the low opening up.

at 42 its closed over Lubbock Tx, and teh northern stream is pushing down pretty hard. This maybe a little slower than the other models with teh southern stream. I'm pretty sure it is, but I'm exhausted and half asleep.

I feel you, I have no work this week and I was contemplating not staying up tonight for the Euro.

@54 it's heading south our low is around Houston...looks a lot like the 12z run.

I was lookng at mosiac earlier, your right but the low looked like it is in the process of reforming south, was loosing its circular presentation on radar, weird in a way, then seemed to be reforming futher south. I was wondering if what I was seeing was the low opening up.

I noticed the same thing with the Gfs. The vapor loop had the low coming in near Baja, like the Doc is apparently showing, yet the model opened up with it closer to middle Cali. and it proceeded to track that way. T

at 54 the closed low is still in texas slowly working east -southeast. Theres light snow all over the Midwest and Tenn Valley, extremely light though. The good precip is in Tex. At 60, the closed low is over houston, and the northern stream looks too broad and not as far south to me as it did. I think this is going to be hard to phase unless something happens. There is light precip across the mid and uper south but nothing major, all the good precip is in La and Texas.

Archived